Death to fuzzy tail tree rats!

Discussion in 'Camping Around Wildlife' started by BillyMc, Feb 20, 2021.

1. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

No, just discharging them is prohibited in city limits.
    In a pot of hot oil after being cleaned and battered.

Susan Premo likes this.
  2. BillyMc

Now they are eating the lead post on the PUP battery! Maybe they going to take themselves out with lead poisoning.

Susan Premo likes this.
  3. Everett Bartlett

Everett Bartlett Active Member

Ma bell had a big problem with them and prairie dogs and gophers out in the west, on there lead sheathed phone cables. as for shooting them you can look and find CB caps for a .22. if you use a bolt rifle they are quieter than a cap gun. The CB caps are smaller than a .22 short. They were designed for shooting rats in the basement. The projectile is not shaped like a bullet is shaped like a .22 cal BB.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2021
  4. Old_Geezer

Old_Geezer Well-Known Member

I just called PETA, you can expect a bus load of whackjobs being led by Lady Gaga wearing a meatsuit to be protesting in front of your house in about an hour.

mellowyellow likes this.
  5. Bowman3d

Bowman3d Well-Known Member

Hey I’m a card carrying member of P.E.T.A , and I’m heading to BillyMc’s place as soon as I can.
    People Eating Tasty Animals!

Westcoast and Susan Premo like this.
  6. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

With covid we got hit this year as well. My son, who has been schooling virtually due to a high risk immuno compromised condition, hasn't been out driving very much at all. He took the car out a couple weeks ago, and called to say there was a MIL indicator on, and the car didn't seem like it wanted to drive faster than 30 mph. He limped it home, I ran the codes and got a TCM communication error. Little google fu shows others had issues with bad TCMs and a wiring harness too close to an exhaust pipe as common culprits. Started checking ground continuity and such, and sure enough, had a break somewhere. Got into the engine and noticed a bunch of leaves in one corner by the firewall. Pulled out a large amount, and that is where I saw it - chewed right through the entire wire harness right where it exits the firewall. Going to be fun trying to resplice that mess. He also chewed through 4 spark plug wires.

We still like squirrels, but my son now refers to them as mynocks - chewing on the power cables.

DiamondGirl and Sjm9911 like this.
  7. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

We have 100s of acres of hardwoods behind us, nearly 100 of Orchard beside us.... We could eat squirrel twice a week and not put a dent in the population... and we have tried... Few years back had a hunt party.... killed over 50....
    I would suggest pointed hunting pellets and the fastest FPS rifle you can find.
    Save them up and bring them to the Low Country Boil at King Mt in May

kcsa75 likes this.
  8. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

9. BillyMc

No, just discharging them within the city limits.

10. BillyMc

Update! Over a dozen are taking the eternal nap. They just keep coming. The Benjamin is deadly accurate with the iron sites, but with the shape of the stock it is very difficult to bend my old neck to line up my eye and my glasses so my old eye can see what I'm doing. Mounting rail and 4X scope ordered and will be here by the weekend. Head shots are by far the most effective. My neighbor (who dislike the tree rats as much as I do) told me his cat finally started killing squirrels. I said no, it's collecting the ones I shoot with the pellet gun. He said thank you. I'm hoping it has acquired the taste and will hunt them on it's own. Dad had a cat that preferred fresh kill to anything. It would even take them from his Jack Russell when she killed one. The dog knew better than to object. This winter I'm going to stock the freezer with meat!

DiamondGirl likes this.
  11. kudzu

kudzu Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

We spend a few days camping this week. The squirrels were so pesky and bold it amazed all of us. They were stealing things with people standing and moving around just a couple feet away. While our camping neighbors were away from their site, I saw a squirrel not only chewing on a large day pack, but actually trying to drag it away! I was practically on top of the little thief before he gave up and darted just a few feet away. Sheesh!!

DiamondGirl likes this.
  12. Sweetpea

Sweetpea Active Member

I know just how you feel, I'm pretty certain it's because people were feeding them. Ahhh....so cute, then that happens to you. Just like the raccoons. Terrible

DiamondGirl likes this.
  13. DiamondGirl

DiamondGirl Adventures with KODI in AZ

We were surprised not to see any squirrels during our last trip boondocking. No elk, rabbits, and wolves. It’s been so dry that they are hanging out closer to their water sources. We did see finches, a bald eagle and crows.

Happy Camping…[put&hy]