Death Valley

Discussion in 'Let me tell you about my trip' started by DSCinVegas, Nov 16, 2011.

1. DSCinVegas

DSCinVegas New Member

Thought I would drop in a quick post here. Heading to DVNP tomorrow camping with a bunch of friends who are arriving on Friday, setting up at Texas Springs CG. Thought maybe some folks here might be over there as well.

Give me a shout--- Happy Hour at " my place" [:D]

[​IMG]

2. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

That looks like Highway 190 on the way from Emigrant toward Panamint Springs. Have a great time.

3. DSCinVegas

DSCinVegas New Member

I think you are right, UT.... thought it was a cool pic!

4. cwolfman13

cwolfman13 Active Member

I always thought Death Valley would be a cool camping trip. Have fun.

5. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

We love Death Valley. It's an enormous park, and the surrounding landscape is all very interesting as well. Like Yellowstone, it's a park you want to take days to explore.

We've always gone in the high summer. It's crazy to some people, but that's how we wanted to experience the place, to see it with the temps in the 120s (air temps; Valley floor surface can get close to 200°) and the heat waves shimmering off the salt basins and playas and all that. You do have to plan carefully. You do your hiking early in the day and retreat during the midst of the heat. Nights are tolerable enough, though we had to beat it up to Emigrant to find temps suitable for sleeping in August.

Make sure your vehicle is tuned up, you have plenty of coolant and LOTS of extra water and some way of rigging some shade, and don't use your AC on those long grades like the one up Towne Pass.

It's an absolutely incredible place, one of our favorite places to have visited.

Oh, and be sure to read about the poor man that froze to death on the Valley floor in mid-summer due to a malfunction of his refrigerated suit.

6. USKustoms

USKustoms pimp my trailer

Looks like a landing strip.

Happy hour sounds good, but we'll be at Alamo lake star gazing.

Death Valley is amazing, we'll be going back there in Feb. maybe March for some boondocking.

Have a great time. [CP]

7. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I plan on going there in March (second half) too. I love the place but I'm not up to Travelhoveler's approach of going in high summer. I was there in June once and the 111-113 temps were, shall we say, a bit over the top for me.

8. USKustoms

USKustoms pimp my trailer

I hear ya! I live in the desert with temps like that. The last thing I wanna do is camp in the heat.
    When it gets that hot, we skidaddle. [8D]

9. Travelhoveler

Travelhoveler New Member

When we were at Death Valley, we watched temps drop dramatically at night. It had been around 120° during the day, but dropped to the mid-sixties at night. And no humidity. I'd rather be there in the heat of midday than here with our humidity at 90°.

Don't get me wrong, we'd enjoy it at any time of year, but it was an incredible experience to visit Death Valley at its most extreme. We loved that trip.