December 2019 - What did you do for your camper?

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by kitphantom, Dec 1, 2019.

1. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

First day of the final month of 2019, we brought the trailer home from the last trip of the year. We pulled in at home around 4:30, and bustled around getting all the important things out, all liquids and such removed, since it's supposed to be in the 20s tonight. We drained, blew out and pinked the water system. The rest of unpacking and cleaning can be done more slowly.
    The trip itself, to Catalina SP near Tucson, was interesting to say the least. Heavy wind all the way, until the outskirts of Tucson. More winds the next day - we were sitting in our shade structures, with the wind walls up, and about the time we were wondering if we should just take them down, a gust came along and shredded one of the wind walls. The roofs of the shelters have been used more than the wind walls, so we figure it's time to look for a new shelter for next season. With a 17' Retro & 17' Casita, either one is a tight fit for 4 adults - we visited back and forth, but there really isn't seating inside either for that many for long - not usually an issue since we're outside.
    We did manage our Thanksgiving meal outside, mid-afternoon, but the weather deteriorated again. Heavy rain and wind - it was an extreme test of weather worthiness of both trailers, which passed. Lots of limbs down in the campground - one underneath the side of ours, making scritching noises on the side before dawn. A tree in our friends' site lost one of its 3 trunks, which just missed their Casita - and they weren't even underneath the tree. We figure there was a microburst, given how we both felt a blast, and our friend saw the tree fly back again from the camper - it wedged itself over the picnic table, with the trunk wedged between seat and top.
    We're hoping for better weather next year!

kcsa75 and Sjm9911 like this.
  2. kitphantom

For many, the off-season is underway. What do you do for your camper in the off-season?
    I'm beginning list making - items that need to be replaced, items we've removed for the winter, making plans and reservations, etc.
    We usually keep the fridge & food boxes stocked with staples throughout the season, and in the winter, use up those left at the end of the season. We finally made a list of common items in the fridge - the type you don't think about until you reach for them, only to find they've been forgotten.
    We need a new shade/rain structure, one that I can use on solo trips. Even without the damage in the wind storm last week, it was getting difficult for me to work the frame connections. (Even Courtenay used the cheater tool we'd made when he was taking the shelters down in the storm.)
    I need a new step stool to safely get in and out of the truck bed,
    We will make reservations this week for our Thanksgiving trip with friends next year, and have decided we need to do the trip home in two days. Late afternoon arrivals home aren't as bad in main camping season, but having to unload a lot that normally stays in the trailer during the season, and winterize it, while trying to beat sundown (we didn't) yesterday was not fun.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  3. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

ordered a progressive industries 30amp hard wire ems surge protector for it today, great price trough tweetys rv and truck, plus 20 % off through google shopping all shipped under $200

Sjm9911 likes this.
  4. kitphantom

Brought a few more things back into the house, using up tea and such that stays in there during the season.
    Made reservations for next Thanksgiving, meeting our friends at Patagonia SP in AZ. We were on the phone, and on computers at each end, to get sites next to each other. I've been there once, but didn't find any notes I may have taken, so we depended on my memory, campsitephotos, the AZ Parks website, and the campground map I'd printed out.

5. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Cleared the snow off the roof yesterday. It's weird not having it in the garage!

6. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

I've done nothing. It's hibernating in another state.

The DW was digging around in the box of camper stuff that I have stowed in the basement. She was looking for a head lamp to help her put out the outdoor Christmas decorations last Sunday evening.

7. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Hey, at least it’s a friendly state! Lol

I have also done nothing. I pretty much have everything stored throughout the house and squared away finally. I did realize I may have forgotten to empty out the medicine cabinet when I winterized (there may have been beer involved) so I may take a ride out to deal with that and do a critter check one of these days.

kcsa75, BikeNFish and Sjm9911 like this.
  8. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

It’s tucked away in storage. I told mom that I want her sowing skills as my gift this Christmas. Just need to make it out to the camper to get the cushions So we’re not sowing blind. I did buy another cover for the popup but it has been raining a lot that I haven’t had a chance to put it on.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  9. WannaTravel

WannaTravel Member

I gaze longingly at my camper each time I go outside....get groceries out of the car, take grocery bags back to the car, check the mail, check the mail-again, since I went out too early, get a parcel from UPS, get a parcel from FedEx, shopping, church, doctor appointments...

I turn my head and wish I was camping.....Every. Single. Time.

kcsa75 and Strawhouse like this.
  10. davido

davido Active Member

Verified there's sufficient fluid in the batteries, and that the maintenance charger is plugged in. Removed ten inches of heavy wet snow (though it has a cover over it, so it's safe and snug under all that).

This spring I'll probably swap out the dual USB-A plug for a combination USB-A/USB-C plug inside the trailer, and will probably add a 12v plug outside next to the factory-installed 115VAC plug. It's amazing to me that these trailers come with no 12v plugs. I had to install the one inside a couple years ago. It's become apparent that having out outside will be useful too.

Oh, I need to remember to replace my CO/Propane detector. It started chirping last fall, and the light flashing pattern indicated end of life. I couldn't get it to stop chirping, so I snipped the wires and removed it. It was obviously not a leak; just end of product life. But it wouldn't be wise to head out on my next trip without one.

11. Econ

Econ Active Member

Added a 12 volt DC outlet with a voltmeter to the right dinette bench that is right next to the door. We camp with out 120 volt AC most of the time. This way when returning to camp you can easily check the voltage when entering the camper. DW has access to 12 AC. It also feeds a IPOD that the DH listens to while working on the camper. There is an on/off switch that controls the voltmeter display and turns the blue light off except while checking.

Please note. The 12 volt is level to the floor. It is the factory radio that is not even to the floor.

upload_2019-12-9_6-21-56.jpeg

12. Econ

Econ Active Member

Finished the microwave drawers project. This was a painful project as I was getting tired of working on the camper and it was difficult. Nothing in the factory cabinet was square. Nothing was equal distance. Everything had to be shimmed. The factory didnt use a straight edge when laying out the hole for the microwave. Just rough cut it and let the trim ring handle everything else. The P.Owner took the microwave out and screwed a piece of plywood to the opening necessitating a face frame to hide his screw holes. With hindsight I would have torn the entire cabinet out and started over. It would have been faster and less headaches. Made a bin that goes on top of the "microwave"

Squaring up the factory hole
    upload_2019-12-9_6-44-53.jpeg

Edge banded the factory plywood with cherry.
    upload_2019-12-9_6-46-41.jpeg

Added face frame. Sorry for the soft focus
    upload_2019-12-9_6-49-28.jpeg

Finished face frame before installation so no masking needed. Note color difference in finished cherry face frame and the unfinished cherry drawer edge banding.
    upload_2019-12-9_6-57-6.jpeg

Now DW has a place for pots and pans

upload_2019-12-9_7-1-54.jpeg
    Drawer bodies are 1/2" and 3/8" Baltic Birch with 1/4" floor pan. Last coats of Tung oil in December.

Raycfe, Strawhouse, hq308 and 4 others like this.
  13. Ladiesman

Ladiesman Active Member

That look nice. You did a very good job

14. Econ

Econ Active Member

Thanks, I have moved on to the space under the front right dinette bench. Making organizational boxes like I did for the front left storage compartment.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  15. Strawhouse

Strawhouse Well-Known Member

New drawers look great! Did you post pics of your organizational boxes that you built for your left front compartment?

16. Econ

Econ Active Member

Thanks

I didnt. After completion of the right front I'll photo the left front and right front boxes. The left front is my "set up" compartment. It contains leveling lynx, water hose, stabilizer wrench, etc, boxes for the small stuff. The stab wrench is attached to the front wall with 3M hooks and double sided tape.

The 1/2 degree leveling lynx will be included.

Sjm9911 and Strawhouse like this.
  17. kitphantom

I finally found the list I'd complied last year (on the computer), listing staples we keep in the fridge, food, paper goods, etc. that will need to be restocked for the season, and the repairs we meant to do over last winter (most have been done, or found not needed and/or possible). Now I can work with that, and not need to build it from the beginning. Already adding and subtracting from it.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  18. Strawhouse

Strawhouse Well-Known Member

Great! Looking forward to seeing them.
    Thanks!

19. mawinchester

mawinchester New Member

I read this to my boyfriend and he asked me if I was the one that wrote it.

20. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

Dark.JPG

Today I passed this trailer hauling “the Dark Side”. This is as close as I have been to a camper since September. That’s how it goes in Minnesota!

Last edited: Dec 13, 2019 at 11:52 PM
    neighbormike and J Starsky like this.