December 2019 - What did you do for your camper?

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by kitphantom, Dec 1, 2019.

1. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

What is all that white stuff?
    I'm so happy that we rarely have to deal with snow and ice.

2. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

It's Anti-Camping dust. It has the same result that d'CON has on rats, it kills camping.

3. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

Bought TV cables, hard for me to believe we actually did that. I made the rest of my reservations for my first trip, at the end of March, and will have cable service for part of it.
    This will be an experiment, to see if taking the extra TV from home is worth the trouble - esp on solo trips, some mindless time at the end of the day could be good. We had thought we'd add a swing mount that we could use when we chose to take the TV, but haven't found a good place to put it for the way we have the trailer arranged, the reinforced spot the mfr added isn't handy. We'd started the project a year or more ago, buying a DVD player too, but it was way down the priority list. Since my MIL died earlier this year, I won't be doing the 2 weeks of cross country solos every year anymore, so that kept it at the bottom of the list.

4. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

just got home in Ohio from visiting 3 of our DD's in FL, NC, VA. Did some road fixes on a few things that broke on the trip, Also did some winterizing on the road before returning to freezing ohio. After 3+ weeks in the south with highs in FL in the high 80's my blood became thin and it so cold back home in Ohio.

vagov and Sjm9911 like this.
  5. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Make sure you have the slip on ends , lots of campsites the screw ends dont work.

kitphantom likes this.
  6. WannaTravel

WannaTravel Active Member

[LOL]

7. kitphantom

@Sjm9911 thanks for the tip, slip on adapters are on order, which will give me options After all this, watch me decide a TV isn't worth the hassle.
    We still need to pull a few things out of the trailer for the off-season, it's not covered yet. My schedule and the weather have not cooperated to have the detailer come to do the truck and trailer, we like to have it all cleaned and polished under the cover. At this point, we may just have to put the cover on and have it detailed in March, before my first trip. It's a balance between protecting it from windblown grit and from any dirt on it under the cover that shifts in the wind.
    I did get the throw rugs pulled out and washed, and bought a pattern to adapt to make custom-sized inside door mats. I'm pretty sure I won't have the patience to make larger ones to replace the throw rugs we use on cold weather trips, though.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  8. CampChaos

CampChaos Member

I made a list of things I will be fixing, replacing and updating. I bought new wheel chocks as mine were cheapy plastic ones. I also bought new jack pads and a leveling system. Did some research on vinyl canvas repair and ordered some marine grade vinyl material to fix a hole in mine.

I have also been researching how to paint my camper body, researching vinyl dyes and painting the tire rims.

My amazon shopping cart is full of stuff that I will be ordering to update the interior.

My main research project has been trying to figure out what to do about my slide stabilizers. Mine are the swing down and they are welded on. They are a thorn in my side when I go camping unless I am on a perfectly flat area.... which I never am. Anyways mine are rusting to the point they will soon fail and unfortunately they are welded on.

Is is spring yet? I am chomping at the bit to get things going. Want her ready before summer camping starts for me.

9. FARfetched

FARfetched Active Member

Found the wiring that goes to a nominal battery. I don't think the Starflyer ever had one.

DD asked me if the bearing packer on my 'Zon wish list was still valid (it is/was). So now I might have something to add to the January version of this thread.

Got one of those "dead battery jump" boxes… turns out it's designed to deliver 12V power on top of its battery-boost and air compressor functions. Now I'm wondering if it might be a reasonable power supply for dry camping. We would need battery mainly for lighting, maybe running a fan (no furnace or water pump), and charging our precious screens. The manual claims the battery is 230Ah AGM, so that should get us through a weekend. Maybe a long weekend, with some solar to help it along. So now I'm hoping for a not too horrible weekend next month to try it out.

Econ and kcsa75 like this.
  10. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Finally got to use the unit after a good cleaning and check over . I did have a few things that I could not find after the move (still looking and they will turn up eventually.) but all was small things that was no problem to easily overcome. Everything went really great and was enjoyable and relaxing.

Sjm9911 and neighbormike like this.
  11. Econ

Econ Active Member

<GG>

12. BikeNFish

BikeNFish Well-Known Member

I've been following Slim for several years. He has great videos and great ideas. He is by far an exception to the rule to cold weather trailer camping.

If you REALLY want to follow someone that camps in extreme weather, check out shugemery. He is a winter hammock camper in Northern Minnesota.

13. Econ

Econ Active Member

There is a difference in winter camping and stupidity.

<<GG>>

I would reveal the Christmas forecast but hate to see grown men cry. This year will be a warm one.

14. kitphantom

We pulled out the rest of the things that we remove for winter, removed the batteries from the flashlights, thermometers, etc. Realized we forgot to remove the one in the smoke detector, but beginning the season with a new battery in that is good anyway.
    Took measurements of the bed base, so we can try to find a new mattress. I'd had measurements for making a quilt, but they were a bit off, I think I'd measured with bedding on it. Also measured the 2 floor spaces that I want to make throw rugs for. Door mat has the highest priority, so I'll start there. These should be good uses of fabrics in my stash, esp the bunch that have a bit of light damage from the handle holes in the storage boxes.
    We covered it for the rest of the off-season, since we hadn't been able to schedule the detailer to come to do it and the truck. New cover this year, Camping World brand instead of ADCO, but very similar.
    Added a weekend on to my first solo trip of the year yesterday, when we realized I could meet Courtenay partway home from AZ and get a weekend in together. May freeze, first week of April in Silver City, NM, but we'll see. At least it's a way to be camping together before August.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  15. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Finally managed to put the cover over the camper. My biggest fear is ice. We get a lot of rain in the winter that ultimately freezes. I cracked the door open to make sure nothing was amiss, but forgot to take my cushions out for my winter sowing project. Doesn’t look like I will have time to get to the storage lot again for awhile. Oh well. Need to save my money anyway as my tow vehicle is in need for some work. My Christmas money is already earmarked and I have yet to see a dime. Adulting sucks sometimes. Miss those carefree days as a kid where $50 meant I had to figure how many toys I get to buy. Grant you $50 was a lot of money for a kid back then and there was always $0.50 left for a candy bar or two.

16. Grandpa Don

Grandpa Don Active Member

I didn't do much to mine since the cold rainy weather arrived. I don't normally get much rain out here on the Mojave Desert. But this year is different. Three weeks ago we actually got about 8 inches of snow. I did place a new cover over it. My sister got me one for Christmas, which she said I could open early. I don't have any repair type jobs to do in it, but I do want to make a few changes when it warms up. I'm working on an anti-theft device that we have been discussing on another thread. I'd like to get started on that. I also disconnected the battery and put it on a Trickle charge battery tender unit. I think I can get one more year out of this battery.

Econ likes this.
  17. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

Harbor freight has a angle grinder for $10. Perfect for removing those stabs

18. CampChaos

CampChaos Member

OOooh, I think I could manage that and take them off myself. I may need to recruit my oldest son to put on the new ones though. :) It may take some back woods ingenuity to put something else on.
    IMG_20191216_072958578.jpg IMG_20191216_072716139.jpg IMG_20191216_073002607.jpg

19. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

Put it away for winter on 12/20. I found an old open door equipment barn to store it in. It's $40 per month. Put out 6 rodent bait stations

20. Econ

Econ Active Member

Exceptionally warm Christmas. Got out and washed the Aliner and the tow vehicle. Made a set of nose gear chocks for the camper of someone who gave me a 1/2 cord of firewood.