December 2020 - What did you do for your camper this month?

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by kitphantom, Dec 1, 2020.

1. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

Welcome to the Portal from South Carolina. How old are the tires? It surprises me what people trust bungees for.

2. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah Gold Supporting Member

Sadly just erased all my plans I had made for next year. Erased all projects I had planned to work on over winter break for my camper. Mom has been just diagnosed with stage 4 cancer and has been bed bound due to pain. Thanks to Covid My boss is allowing me to work from my parents house so I can help them out. Unfortunately I failed to charge my camper battery before I left home so will have to try to remember the next time I can get home. I’m thankful I got to winterize it before I left however. Come spring everyone please post pictures of your adventures as I’m going to have to live though them. Hope everyone has a wonderful holiday.

3. McSkippy

McSkippy Active Member

Here's hoping your mom beats the odds, and you can post your own pictures of her camping with you.

Katskamper, neighbormike and Sjm9911 like this.
  4. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Stay strong for mom. Its not an easy situation. Your familly is in our thoughts and prayers.

5. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

I'm sorry, I know it is difficult. I am glad, though, that you are able to be with her and you dad.

6. Chestnut

Chestnut New Member

I think 2017... they look to be in decent shape but we'll get under there and get a good look once it gets a little warmer.

To jmkay1, I'm sorry to hear about your mom's diagnosis, and as others have said I am glad you are able to be with your family at this time.

7. Allen R Glass

Allen R Glass New Member

Took out the microwave that we will never use. Now we've got a useful shelf under the stove, and at some point I'm probably going to put a big drawer in there.

Also installed 3/8" interlocking foam mats to insulate the floor for cold weather camping.

jmkay1, sorry to hear about your mom. Lost my mom this summer, but it was a real blessing to be able to be there for her last weeks. Don't forget to take care of yourself, too.

8. Econ

Econ Well-Known Member

Like this??
    [​IMG]

Ya'll keep a lid on it. I'm taking my camper meteor watching and fishing. Lows in the 20's

Allen R Glass likes this.
  9. Katskamper

Katskamper Well-Known Member

got out of garage to dry & wash blankets after wet Thanksgiving weekend trip, when heater quit working.

spent Saturday trying to fix the heater, the sink & toilet & NOTHING is going easy. im frustrated!
    69DC8D01-7ADB-4D7B-A3CC-07EB059B34F6.jpeg
    i need plumbing diagram for 2003 Skamper,.
    this is what i have going on:
    pump not drawing water. -
    ive got a drainline hose not connected. (orange)

furnace has airflow problem, according to the blinking light.
    of course, itsonly accessible from inside, on floor, under sofa.

took apart tray /drawer configuration for pota potty, because it made the opening SMALLER.
    door hit fire extinguisher & cracked the plastic holder thing & cracked it bad.(ok. i am a BIG gal & idont fit)

and it rained hard this morning.
    so much for drying it out.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2020
  10. kitphantom

@Katskamper we've had a few runs of bad luck on work weekends. Sometimes it seems best just to walk away!

11. Katskamper

praying for mom.

& you too.
    being a care giver is HARD work, take a few minutes every day (if possible) to do something just for you.
    cancer sux.

kitphantom and Kyle R Thorson like this.
  12. Allen R Glass

Allen R Glass New Member

Looks really good. Yep, just like that, except mine's probably going to be a single big drawer that I'll use for a travel pantry.

Are you doing anything to keep the drawers from sliding open during travel? Haven't figured that bit out yet.

13. Econ

Econ Well-Known Member

@Allen R Glass
    Thanks for putting your model in the signature.

I am waiting for a medical device to charge then off to the campground.

We eat mainly fresh and refrigerated food. The emergency pantry of canned food in case I get snowbound is the worthless space next to the heater. This was the first drawer. Note the bottom of the drawer is 1/4" plywood that sticks out about 5/16"(???). This version was "pinched" by and upper and lower slide. The drawer pan "ears" were unfinished wood. I worked well. There was enough friction created so it wouldnt slide out. However This was right over the axle.
    upload_2020-12-14_13-7-28.jpeg

14. Econ

Econ Well-Known Member

Next version was the plastic tub cubby hole just under the stove. Same drawer design but the top two silverware , etc drawers would slide half way out during transport. These now have locks on the.
    upload_2020-12-14_13-13-10.jpeg

This shows the "Pinch" slides
    upload_2020-12-14_13-13-10.jpeg upload_2020-12-14_13-15-25.jpeg upload_2020-12-14_13-26-33.jpeg
    upload_2020-12-14_13-15-25.jpeg

Note how there is a small cut in the face frame. The drawer "ear" slides thru that. Take a 3/8" x 1/4" by 1 ish" and drill hole and screw mount just above the little slot so it hangs down by gravity. This blocks the hole so the ear cant slide thru. If in camp for a week take a screwdriver and tighten the screw a quarter turn so the tab doesnt block the hole so you have to unlock the drawer to get in it.

Look on left side for tabs.
    upload_2020-12-14_13-26-33.jpeg

Then built the microwave hole drawers.Then DW had an idea. It took too much effort to open the drawer that had that fiction pinch slide. She wanted easy so I lubed the ears with beeswax. Huge mistake. If you dont make sure everything is locked down the drawers are on the floor after a hundred miles. I went back and created locks for everything.

Sjm9911 and Strawhouse like this.
  15. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Joanne. Sorry to hear about your mom, My mom. Also just took a turn for the worse. Still haven’t. Had to cancel my plans for next year yet, but time wil. Tell.

16. Strawhouse

Strawhouse Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

So sorry to hear about your mom. Glad that you can be there for them.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2020
  17. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ Gold Supporting Member

Got a tarp over the roof of the pup. Mainly just wanted to cover the AC unit and the top of the roof to protect it from snow/ice.

18. kitphantom

I borrowed two of the small baskets used in my closet shelves, dumping their contents on the camper bed, for a project in the house. Target didn't have them online, for pickup, or in the store; I hope they have them back in well before any camping trip, so I can replace them.
    The toolbox that travels in the truck and has camping/camper related tools in it has become too small, as we've added to it over the years (decades?). The new one arrived this morning, so I'll be moving all that to the new one, and using the older one for my sewing machine cleaning/oiling tools, . [I have 3 vintage machines that I can do deep cleaning on, two from ~1950 and a 1902 hand crank that I'm rehabbing to take on some camping trips.] I'm hoping to off-load some things from the inside-the-trailer toolbox, since it's pretty full too.

Chestnut, Strawhouse and Sjm9911 like this.
  19. Katskamper

beautiful work.

20. Turbulent

Turbulent Member

added new flooring (sticky vynil) and washed the canvas with some sailrite.
    Other things in mind:
    • paint the frame
    • paint the camper itself and add custom decals (looking for best methods)
    • upgrade the sink and outdoor shower faucets to something more modern
    • ball bearings packing
    • grease/lubricate the lift cable (i know i saw a tutorial on here somewhere)
    • add some lift to the camper (axel over leaf mod)

kitphantom likes this.