Decorating Irony

Discussion in 'Cushion, Curtains, Carpets, Bedding, Clothing Stor' started by Orchid, Sep 22, 2016.

1. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I've been following Pop Up Princess for awhile and there is a clear trend in camper decorating camper these days. I have to admit that I like the look of it myself, but it's really ironic if you think about what people do.

Everyone seems to dislike fake wood grain (myself included) and paints all the cabinets. The color of choice seems to be white, which is usually the color of linoleum that gets covered on the floor.

Here is the irony - nearly everyone then applies fake wood grain to the floor. I agree that all these campers look very nice when completed. However, if you think about it, the white and fake wood grain are just switching places.

I wonder, if ten years from now, people are going to remodel their campers by painting wood grain on the cabinets and linoleum back on the floors ... [?][LOL]

2. stefie19

stefie19 Active Member

I'm always amazed that people choose white for anything that can be touched by grimy hands. I have a kid, I know what kind of dirt he likes to attract. As nice as the lighter colors look great in small areas, I just picture spending all my camping time cleaning fingerprints off everything!

But they do look nice when I'm not the one cleaning! :)

3. generok

generok Well-Known Member

If everything could be stainless steel or brushed aluminum, I'd be happy. It's easy to clean, and it's going to last. On the floor, my only concern is that the surface is smooth so dirt doesn't get stuck in it and I can clean out mud easily. Sheet vinyl works well there for me.

I guess for the cabinets and stuff, I just see the PUP as a place to sleep near what I want to be near to.

I see your point, and it actually is kind of strange to simply flip the wood grain for white and vise versa! Yeah, if you've ever been in a house still decorated from the 1970's you think "oh, what were they thinking". So when I see all these dark wood cabinets, I think "Oh, the 70's are back, less the shag carpeting".

Good observation!

4. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I'm not doing white, for this exact reason. I do think it looks gorgeous though.

Shag carpeting is back! I've seen it. [LOL] Now just waiting for appliances in Avocado Green or Harvest Yellow ...