1. Red_Eared_Slider86

Red_Eared_Slider86 New Member

Does anybody use a dehumidifer when camping in cold weather? I was considering getting one, but wasn't sure if it was worth the expense; but if it is, then I wasn't sure what size I should get.

Thanks!

2. bmb

bmb New Member

Why would you want a dehumidifier when camping in cold weather? Wouldn't your furnace be drying the air out anyway? Unless I'm missing something... Do popup's get humid in cold weather?

3. Red_Eared_Slider86

Red_Eared_Slider86 New Member

I know from tent camping that moisture does collect inside the tent in cold weather. This is my first PUP, so I don't know what to expect with using the heater. I've read that one option is to use the heater and keep a window open for ventilation. But I've also seen the suggestion of using a dehumidifier, and was wondering what others' experiences were with this option.

Thanks!

4. jim1999

jim1999 New Member

Yes, condensation can occur in cold weather while camping. I can tell you from practical experience it does not take much of a "crack" in the window to alleviate that.

I have a bad zipper on my front bunk so it is always cracked about 2 inches, and camping in the upper 30's at night with a heater going I never had any problems with condensation even with 2 adults, 1 kid, and a big mutt all sleeping on that bunk.

5. bmb

bmb New Member

Ok, got ya... Yeah there can be some condensation but I have never found it to be much of an issue. Crack a window as others have mentioned... I think a dehumidifier would probably be overkill though... My $0.02...

6. orange_lifesaver

orange_lifesaver New Member

I would not use a dehumidifier.....the machine itself will throw off so much heat it would be then uncomfortable. The heater is all you need....and if it's really humide, it's probably raining out anyway....nothing you can do at that point. Your furnace....or a portable oscolating fan/heater is great!