Delicate Lift Cables?

Discussion in 'Lift Systems' started by Babiaca, Oct 18, 2015.

1. Babiaca

Babiaca New Member

We bought our 2000 Coleman Sea Pine early this summer. The folks that had it before us seemed to have taken very good care of it, keeping it in a garage when. It in sue for annual family beach trip and a couple other trips in the year. They cleaned and maintained it well from what they said. We popped it up in the driveway a couple times and then on our first weekend trip popped it up and heard a snap. One lift cable down. Our co-owners used it for two trips. They take better care of things than we do, put new tires on, checked everything over and still used the board for elevating the side that had a broken cable. Nothing else happened.
    Then, this weekend we took it out again and again, during lift heard even louder SNAP! All of the remaining cables broke. A campground host and some other folks said it happens a lot on pop-ups but this seems crazy. Are we doing something wrong for it to happen to us like this? We have to somehow get it repaired now but I'm worried if we do find the money to get it repaired whatever we've done wrong will happen again. Please tell me if this is normal or if you have any ideas what could have gone wrong?

2. Heartman_wa

Heartman_wa Active Member

I have never heard of a Coleman breaking that many cables ever. There must be something else going on. Colemans used aircraft grade cable and many out there are thirty or more years old with the original cables. Look closely at the cables. Did they break at nearly the same spot? Is there signs of corrosion in the cable, it may have been subjected to salt water that got into the cables. The cables are not hard to replace if you are at all handy.
    http://www.popupportal.com/MGalleryItem.php?id=4506 try this.

3. smit1088

smit1088 Well-Known Member

I would have to agree that I have never heard of more than one cable ever failing in a Coleman at one time. Even that seems to be abnormal.

I am wondering if the PO had replaced the cables before as preventative maintenance and used sub par crimps.

I know a dealer will really get you for the cables if you have them do it. It does not seem to hard. Take a look at this manual and it may inspire you to do it yourself.

https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B82DRN-wQK81T0tlc3RQSFJaTEE/edit?usp=drive_web

4. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

You didn't say i you replaced the first cable before using it again. If it was down a cable, putting the load on the other three, I'd see that as a problem.

5. Dubbya

Dubbya Wherever you go, there you are...

Couple of things to look at:

[list type=decimal]
    [*]Don't over-crank when lowering the roof. Just lower it enough so that you're able to close the hasps. If you allow too much slack in the cables, they twist and slip out of the pulleys, then bind and tear when you try to raise the roof.
    [*]When you get the hasps closed, crank up a few clicks to maintain just a little bit of tension in the cables.
    [*]Every so often, lubricate (silicone spray) and visually inspect the cables. Make sure that the cable are running true inside their pulleys and that they're not binding anywhere. Left to their own devices, cockeyed cables can easily saw right through 1/4" steel (ask me how I know).
    [/list]

6. Babiaca

Babiaca New Member

Thanks for the input. I don't know what I'm going to do at this point. I looked into local repair shop and for all 4 cables the time alone was going to cost more than we paid for the camper and definitely more than we will have any time soon. We do have an AC on top so I'm worried about trying to talk my friend into helping do the repair from what I've read.

7. beefcake

beefcake New Member

Replacing the cables isn't a big project depending on where they broke. Was it the eye hole bolts or the actual cables? Are the end of the cables still clamped in a circle, if so you can reattach using swing set/rock climbing steel hooks to reattach them.