Denali Rainbow Village RV Park

Discussion in 'Alaska' started by generok, Sep 19, 2016.

1. generok

generok Well-Known Member

Denali Rainbow Village RV Park advertises itself as the closest RV park to Denali National Park. They are correct. I was hesitant to go here because on Trip Advisor, it gets some tough reviews. But, it was the only place open for the Denali Road Lottery, and with the temps forecast below freezing, we wanted power for heat and stuff.

We pulled in to the site, and it was within two Lynx blocks of level, which isn't all that level for a commercial CG. The whole area is essentially a gravel lot, but honestly, that's about what campgrounds are in Alaska. They had 15, 30 and 50 amp service, water, sewer and CATV at each site. Each site had a picnic table and a fire ring, which was nice.

The bathrooms were functional, and pretty clean, but short on heat. The showers are run by token, and I simply passed for our weekend trip. At least they were still open though. The lot is situated behind a strip mall. Some of the sites back right in to the back of the building. So, it's not very picturesque. But, surprisingly it was quiet at night. Of course, we're deep into the shoulder season, but still, for the lottery, it was quiet.

The folks in the office were friendly. Full sites were $44.50/night. I wish at that rate the showers were included, but it is a huge tourist area. What I noticed is in areas that attract Class A homes, they usually charge a fee for showers to encourage the Class A'ers to use their own showers versus showers on site.

All in all, it was okay for a place to sleep for a couple of nights. I don't know if I would go there if other places were open, but they were it the weekend we went.

2. Dusty road

Dusty road Active Member

Can you please explain what the Denali Road Lottery is? I haven't a clue.

3. generok

The Denali Park Road is restricted beyond mile 15 of the 92.5 mile road during the bulk of the season. If you want to go past mile 15, you have to use one of the park shuttle buses (school bus) or one of the tour operator buses (tour bus).

At the end of the season, after the shuttle buses quit running, the park allows those who apply for and win a lottery ticket to drive their own vehicles to the end of the road for four days. The lucky 2000 passes can make the journey, in one day each. You apply for the lottery in May, and it's a random drawing.

After 6 years applying, we finally got one. We saw 3 grizzly bears, 3 bull moose, some ptarmigan, snowshoe hares (it was snowing at the higher passes) but no wolves or caribou. It was a nice trip, but it was rainy/snowy once we got above 3,000 feet.

https://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/road-lottery.htm

4. generok

2017 Update: Not much changed for 2017. We went up again for the Road Lottery since we won again this year. The folks at the desk are really nice, and they are one of the only places open during the road lottery where you can plug in. We got lucky this year. It never got too cold, maybe low 40's, so the ceramic heater kept us toasty all night. They have picnic tables and fire rings for every site, but it is a bit odd having a campfire in a parking lot behind a strip mall. They have signs that direct you to remove any water pressure regulators stating they cause the anti-siphons to leak. I think all the sites have 20 and 30 amp service and some have 50 amp. They do not allow tents at all, as we found out with someone pleading with them in the office.