Deposit down. New to me

ShanegoDave

Feb 27, 2014
Thanks I think it’s a nice couples coach perfect for me and DW . I plan on pulling it with my 2006 suburban mostly. I do want to get a weight distribution hitch For it as it does squat slightly, any suggestions?

neighbormike

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
Oct 6, 2012
WI
I use Blue Ox and am happy with it…. You will get lots of opinions and lots of info!

Mike Up

Oct 2, 2018
Northwest Indiana
Thanks I think it’s a nice couples coach perfect for me and DW . I plan on pulling it with my 2006 suburban mostly. I do want to get a weight distribution hitch For it as it does squat slightly, any suggestions?
You'll definitely need a WDH. When I had my Jay Flight 26BH, a 29' Bunkhouse, I used the Blue Ox Sway Pro with 1,000 lbs spring bars. Great hitch system for anti-sway. I previously had a Reese Dual Cam Pro system called the Strait Line. It was nothing compared to the Blue Ox. The Blue Ox handled sway much better. However you need to get enough curve on the spring bars to get good sway control. I pulled up by only 1 link and it was night and day difference. So make sure you get the right spring bars even if you have to load your trailer up, then weigh the tongue with a sherline scale or similar to get the right spring bars.

My previous camper with 4 links showing which wasn't enough. I had to pull up for only 3 full links showing to get enough curve on spring bar for good sway control.

Good luck

Jimbow

Super Active Member
Silver Supporting Member
Nov 30, 2012
Congratulations!
I have the Fastway E2 on my Jayco and it has worked flawlessly for me.

ShanegoDave

Feb 27, 2014
The camper weighs roughly 4770 dry. With7000 total gwr. With 470 tounge weight according to factory I found a good price on a fastway E2. 800/8000 round bar for decent price in my opinion Just wondering if I should but it or spring for a 1000 ib bars. Maybe overkill though?

Mike Up

Oct 2, 2018
Northwest Indiana
The camper weighs roughly 4770 dry. With7000 total gwr With 470 tounge weight according to factory I found a good price on a fastway E2. 800/8000 round bar for decent price in my opinion Just wondering if I should but it or spring for a 1000 ib bars. Maybe overkill though?
You can't go by those weights. They are guesses and actually no way close to the factory "optioned" weight. Then you will add additional significant weight to that factory "optioned weight", by 1000 to 2000 lbs lbs in water, food, clothes, camping accessories, and camper setup accessories and the such.

When a dealership or hitch shop sets up your rig, they can weigh the tongue and take in account all extra weight you should be adding.

Spring bars are not super expensive but do cost a pretty penny. May as well spend the money correctly on the right weight rated spring bars so you don't have to do it twice.

Also remember your loved ones will be riding in your rig when traveling, don't cheap out on a so-so sway control system. Pony up a few extra bucks and get a better system. I would get the Blue Ox Sway Pro system, Equal-i-zer brand, Reese Strait-Line, Hensley Hitch or ProPride brand hitch systems

Good luck.

Last edited:

ShanegoDave

Feb 27, 2014
Ok. I went with a fastway E2. Trunion 800/8000. I got it pretty much hooked up. The front wheel well. Measurement is 1/8 higher when hooked up. And the ball seems to sit 2 inches lower. Under load with spring bars attached at half way point on L bracket. Should I try moving the hitch head up one notch on the shank, or adjust the L bracket?

Attachments

• C6D1264B-3E75-42CD-9E6F-6FA41BAFA5C0.jpeg
    C6D1264B-3E75-42CD-9E6F-6FA41BAFA5C0.jpeg
    287.3 KB · Views: 15
  • 520A26EA-C59C-4255-9BE4-0A2112E4DFA0.jpeg
    520A26EA-C59C-4255-9BE4-0A2112E4DFA0.jpeg
    302 KB · Views: 13

vagov

Super Active Member
Aug 13, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Are both the camper and suburban both on level ground sitting level before hitching up ? I would make measurements on both ends. To see if your good. So your still getting a 2inch sag with weight distribution on? The 1/8 inch rise on front fender on truck dosent sound drastic. I would try dropping the camper on the ball only and re measure front wheel on truck for rise. This may help tell you how much weight distribution you are getting? My second quess would be raise the hitch head up a full notch. And see where you level out at but in my mind thinks you need drop in order to gain weight distribution