Describe your ideal campsite / campground

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by lugoismad, Jul 11, 2015.

1. tcanthonyii

tcanthonyii Member

Yea clean un smelly bathrooms and nice shower house. Not sure why those two are so hard. I think the problem is lazy campers. I see a lot of lazy people that just don't care. I try to steer clear of those areas.

Trees are nice too. They are just expensive. Well over a hundred bucks a tree doesn't let you plant many.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. lugoismad

lugoismad Active Member

Dude, where are you buying your trees?

An 8 foot October Glory maple is $20 at Tractor Supply or Walmart.

And agreed on the bathrooms. I hate when the "cleaning crew" just squirts some blue stuff in the toilets, but doesn't actually wipe anything down. I don't understand why they don't just use a pressure washer. The bathrooms all have floor drains. Just use an electric pressure washer and spray the stalls down. It would be faster, easier, and get everything a lot cleaner.

3. Wild-Life

Wild-Life Active Member

I'm with you Fallsrider. Add that beautiful lakeside or mountain view and you never want to come home.

4. sallyannie75

sallyannie75 New Member

It is so interesting to read everyone's ideal camping situation. We all have differing needs depending on our family, camping equipmemt, and desired activities.

My ideal spot is on the water (lake, stream, river, ocean-doesnt matter), or at least have very close access. I do prefer at least a view though. Ample shade and a large site are also very important. I have lots of gear and lots of kids!! The site should also be far from the highway noise. Some sort of bathroom is important and running water is nice but not mandatory. We camped in a tent with no running water for 7 days before. It's not ideal, but the view was amazing!!

I never thought about organized activities or playgrounds for my kids. I always thought camping was the activity! Lol. However, we recently participated in a Jr rangers program and they liked it. Usually the body if eater nearby provides enough entertainment. Rope swings and jumping rocks are higher on our list than swings.

I have no trouble finding places with these requirements here in Northern California and Southern Oregon.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ezakoske likes this.
  5. Bowman3d

Bowman3d Well-Known Member

I want the place you see in all the ads. A Pop-up by a lake, green grass, trees, and no other campers anywhere near.

6. fallsrider

fallsrider Active Member

You're right....I would not want to come home!

7. Jeff10236

Jeff10236 New Member

Trees, I want trees. MD, PA, and VA (I'm a Marylander and usually camp locally) can get quite hot and humid in the summer. Trees to give some relief are a must. Why is it that at so many campgrounds I go to, the electric/water spots are wooded and the tent spots are an open field, RVs can (and often do) have AC? Well, I do now usually go for an electric/water site even with the tent (with electric I can bring a fan, with water on the site I don't have to walk as far to do dishes or fill my water jugs). The other main must are clean bathhouses/bathrooms with a reasonable number of stalls for the number of spots.

I am a middle aged single, I usually camp with singles or couples without kids. Near the water is nice for fishing and kayaking, but I rarely spend the entire weekend or vacation at the campground. I use it the same way I would a hotel room- it is a base of operations for exploring the surrounding area. I want plenty to do and see in the surrounding area, but I wouldn't be there if I didn't already know there was plenty to see. Now, when I have camped with people with kids, it was nice to have a pool and well designed playgrounds, and I suppose it is nice to see even when I'm camping without kids in my group (it is good to see that the campground has thought out what their customers will need/want), but they aren't things I actually need to have most of the time.

8. Yak

Yak Well-Known Member

No issues with the cube heater blowing into it, only used one fold out tho. Downright balmy in the day, mid 20s to low 30s. That weekend was nice, snowed on Friday melted by Sunday. A few of the group did have to battle the snow on the way there. I've done it with a popup also.

9. jk70

jk70 Member

As many I do want space but I don't need a huge amount - just enough that i don't feel on top of someone and I don't have to have their waste dump 3 feet from my picnic table. I do like concrete pads better as we keep the PuP cleaner that way. Some trees are nice with grass in between each site with some trees/bushes to have some separation. Unsure if I want this site in mountains or beach as they both offer something.

Almost as important is a clean bathroom. Can't stand a smelly, unclean, filthy bathroom which I blame on campers (I wonder about people sometimes) and the campground

10. Unstable_Tripod

Unstable_Tripod Well, there's your problem!

I like the mountains, beach, desert and everything in between, with or without trees. They all have their own unique beauty. What I don't like is small sites, lots of people and noise. I hate "campgrounds" with cement pads and grass lawns. My favorite campground is no campground at all. I prefer boondocking (camping outside of a formal campground) in the wilderness with no other humans around for miles and miles. Water (river, lake or ocean) is nice but not necessary.

If I am in a CG I prefer a primitive one (no hookups) with only a few sites -- very large sites that are spread very far apart. (I know several national forest CGs here in Washington where the sites are huge and 50-100 yards apart.) In such cases trees and/or underbrush to create privacy are nice. A vault toilet is fine -- flush toilets draw more people and that's not good. CGs without water are nice too because that also tends to diminish interest on the part of many people. As for fires, if I want one I can make a fire pit but I don't usually have one because I like to sit in the dark and watch the night sky in all of its glory.

11. JeffC

JeffC New Member

Unstable Tripod,

I think we camp the same places! I'm that guy you never see!

Happy camping

12. NJGuy

NJGuy Active Member

I camped 2 nights at Trap Pond State Park in Delaware. Nice setting and good facilities. However, a majority of CSs were side by side with back in driveways (actually just a sandy space). The sites were so close that my friendly neighbor handed me a hot dog from his picnic table right next to the electric hookup box when i was plugging in the 30 amp cord. Fortunately, he had a nice family and the CS on the other side was empty. One of these days, I will find one with more room.

13. redneckgearhead

redneckgearhead New Member

My ideal campground.....one that parks the pup, sets it up, cooks the meals for us in the middle of nowhere with really good free wifi. Oh, and then breaks it all down and does it for 9.99 a night.....

14. spatter1

spatter1 New Member

Unstable tripod and Jeff C - I am with you guys, take me out to some picturesque place in the middle of nowhere with no one else around and I am a happy camper

15. tfischer

tfischer A bad day camping beats a good day at the office Gold Supporting Member

I'm literally LOLing at the concrete and steps. Camp Driveway indeed!

16. JeffC

JeffC New Member

But if we took you with us we wouldn't be alone! Lol!

Jeff

17. spatter1

spatter1 New Member

Lol

18. kjcamper

kjcamper Member

Been to State Parks, County Parks, private campgrounds, and private land. (Private land was cool as the only lights at night were the stars or mine when I turned them on) Now I am not asking for a lot here but I think some things should be expected depending on how much you pay to camp there. If you are in a managed campground the sites should be somewhat level. If you are boon docking you find your level spot. Pit toilets or bathrooms should be cleaned enough so they look decent. I know some private campgrounds we have been to I didn't care for the site I was on but we did find great sites in other parts of the campground so we noted that for a return trip. [2C]

19. kskelloggs

kskelloggs New Member

The best site for us would be one where we have water access right at the camp site, so I don't have to drive or walk a mile in the middle of the night to fish. We can live with or without hookups, but if in a campground, do expect relatively clean bathrooms. Around here, they have re-done most of the state park campgrounds over the last few years, and finding a place where you can actually fish right near your camper is now a thing of the past, it would seem. :-(

20. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

IMG_0182.JPG Any Campground that you drop a canoe in.