Destination - Ocean City, MD - Help

Discussion in 'Campground / Trip Planning & Suggestions ?' started by kjmpdm, Jan 9, 2012.

1. kjmpdm

kjmpdm New Member

We are heading to Ocean City, MD in June for DD softball tournament. Any suggestions? Castaway looks nice - but no idea where to book a site. Need some place 'close' so other DD can have some fun too. We prefer water, electric and nice/clean shower facilities. All suggestions very welcome!

2. fritz_monroe

fritz_monroe New Member

I've never camped there, but I know a lot of people that stay at Frontier Town. My understanding is it has lots of stuff for the kids.

3. Nascar Fan

Nascar Fan Active Member

We camped at Castaways several years ago. It is a very nice resort type campground, we were at a site right on the beach. We were there off season and there were very few campers. If we were to go back to Ocean City, we would go back. It is a little pricey, but they have lots of things for the kids. They have shuttles to OC, but we chose to drive. We went over to the docks and got some fresh seafood to grill. Some swear by Frontier Town, which is very nice also.

4. flash82

flash82 Member

We went to FT last June. We enjoyed it. Lot's for the kids, clean and close drive to the boardwalk. It is pricey though, we spent more there than Disney.

5. Breadbox

Breadbox Volvo powered

Fort Whaley is owned by the same people as Frontiertown, but is out on the other side of Berlin, right on US 50. It's quieter, easier to get a reservation, and the prices may be better (but don't hold me to that.) They have a shuttle into town and give you a pass to use the Frontiertown amenities but they have a pool and other activities for the kids as well on site. We stayed in one of their cabins around the same time in June a few years ago before we bought the PUP and liked it. Not much shade though. The other alternative is to go up to Delaware. The state has a camping area right at the Indian River inlet. My wife stayed there with her parents a lot when she was growing up. I think there are hookups, but I'm not sure, though I can't imagine my MIL boondocking, even in a 25' Airstream! It's out of the hustle of OC and right on the water, but they've been rebuilding the Indian River bridge for a couple of years now and I'm not sure how that affects the CG.

6. jbthree

jbthree New Member

The campground that is currently open at the Indian River Inlet in Delaware (Delaware Seashore State Park) is basically a parking lot with full hookups. No shade and almost in the shadow of the new bridge being constructed over the inlet. You can see pictures of it at www.campsitephotos.com.

JBThree / Delaware

7. bandc12

bandc12 New Member

"The campground that is currently open at the Indian River Inlet in Delaware (Delaware Seashore State Park) is basically a parking lot with full hookups. No shade and almost in the shadow of the new bridge being constructed over the inlet. You can see pictures of it at www.campsitephotos.com.

JBThree / Delaware"

This is a great website.. I wish they had Assateague State Park!

8. subvet661

subvet661 New Member

never been to castaways, but i can say that frontier town is VERY nice! like everyone else says though, it is a little pricey

9. Nascar Fan

Nascar Fan Active Member

Below is a pic taken from inside the PUP at Castaways. We had a beach front site and really enjoyed the trip. Like Frontier Town as well as other resort type campgrounds it is a little pricey, but you get what you pay for and they have a lot amenities especially for families. DW just wanted to be on the water and you know the old saying.....

[​IMG]

10. fritz_monroe

fritz_monroe New Member

Castaways looks nice, but wow they are expensive.

11. ken in md

ken in md New Member

Thanks for that pic - wow that looks nice. I never knew such nice waterfront campgrounds existed around OC.

Nascar Fan, do you remember what site # you had? Can you recommend a section to stay in? Also wondering if it was terribly windy there for a popup - guess it depends on the time of year.

12. LynnAllen02

LynnAllen02 Active Member

We stayed at Assateague (the National campground not the State) the showers were rustic, no hot water, the ocean was warm and swimmable, we stayed ocean side, mosquitoes were really bad, the Feds don't spray! Feds allowed dogs, State did not. The private parks do spray and might be worth the difference in dollars to bugs!

13. Nascar Fan

Nascar Fan Active Member

cen in md, I believe we were in site 317. I just took a look at the campground map and it looks like they put some kind of bar in front of the site. When we were there it was a bait shack. We were in the Island Oasis section. If you look at the campground map in that section, there are several sites that are waterfront. Sites 308, 302, 294 and 286 are looking right at the water. There is a parking lot in front of all sites except 317. If memory serves me right, we paid about $56 a night. But, that being said, our vacation time is precious and we wanted to be on the water, so again you get what you pay for. Not ocean, but bayside. So, you don't get the waves, but just being on the water and relaxing was worth it for us. They have a lot of amenities for kids. We took a short drive to the wharf and picked up some fresh seafood and grilled and chilled and just watched the water. They do have cable hookups and we were able to watch our Penguins hockey game. OC is just a short drive away and we did take a day trip, but we are not in to all the hoopla of OC, we went saw and left. But, the campground does offer a shuttle to OC if you don't want to drive.

14. ken in md

ken in md New Member

Thanks Nascarfan for the info - chiling by the bay sounds ideal, and $56 aint that bad. My wife loves the water, and our kids are so little theyre better suited to bay than ocean anyway. I can see not even leaving that site for 3-4 days. OK maybe one day trip to OC...

I think we're gonna look that up and book a trip. Thanks again.

15. popuppaulie

popuppaulie New Member

Ken in MD -
    We vacation in OC every year. 2011 was our last, as we bought our pup. We love camping and love the beach and Castaways is the perfect blend of both. While we were in OC last year, we drove over, parked, and walked around the entire campsite. They have two pools, the private beach, fishing, kayak rentals, and if you like, the tiki bar. Their campstore was nice and even had an arcade. The bath facilities were also nice and clean. We just booked a week for the end of July, beginning of August, 2012. We will be in site 248 and DH's brother and his family will be in 247. We chose those sites as they are in the "Interior" where prices are a little lower and they are partially shaded. (Most sites there do not have shade.) For our family, it'll cost $666.40 with tax and the fee for our two boys. There is no extra charge for children under 10. While this may seem pricey, it is cheaper than what we spent for a condo last year. And, as others have said, you do get what you pay for.

16. kjmpdm

kjmpdm New Member

We ended up at Frontier Town - had to wait till Feb I think before I could book a partial week. Didn't want to wait. Our location was on the road between bathhouse (very clean) and store - noisy, lot happening - but perfect for what we needed. We went 2 and 2 at the tournament :). Our neighbors had a DD playing as well. I know it was pricey but we paid half of what the rest of the team did and got 2 extra nights!