Desulfating batteries

santa fe couple

Feb 20, 2008
Bedford Pa.
Does anyone here use a desulfator on their batteries? If so, have you had good results?
This is all new to me and I’m just trying to find out what is all about. I bought a new charger last year and it has this feature on it.
Thank you,
Brooke

ME, DW, DAWG
02 Santa Fe
05 F 150

Bummer72

Lancaster, PA
Nov 1, 2006
Lancaster, PA
I'll give this a shot, but it's been a while since I've had to read up on battery chemistry...

Sulfated batteries occur when too much sulfer in the battery acid adhears to the lead plates in the cells of the battery. This causes poor interaction between solution and the plates, resulting in low voltage and poor charging.

De-sulfating batteries is accomplished by holding them at a very high voltage (around 15+ volts, if I recall correctly). This forces the sulfur back into the hydrogen sulfide solution (battery acid). This will essentially "cook" the liquid, and you'll get a LOT of bubbling and evaporation...be prepared to stop the process to add distilled water to the battery.

And with this part, I will violate internet message board protocol and shout: ALWAYS WEAR GLOVES, GOGGLES AND LONG SLEEVES, ESPECIALLY WHILE DESULFATING, due to the high chances of splattering battery acid!!!!!

I don't know of too many resources for RV battery information, other that one called "The 12 Volt Side of Life"...maybe someone could provide a link... However, on the Recreational Marine side, check out www.boatus.com or www.westmarine.com , where I've gotten a good start on my 12v learning.

Doug Rice, Lancaster PA<>DW Heather, M.Div.<>Sons Andrew and Benjamin
'85 Jayco "J" 1008 SG, TV: '87 Volvo 240 DL Wagon (yes, its a 4-cyl.)