Devil's Den

Discussion in 'Arkansas' started by dfitzgerald727, Feb 21, 2016.

1. dfitzgerald727

dfitzgerald727 Member

The family and I have our first trip in our PUP scheduled for mid-March! We haven't ever been here before and were wondering, Is there anything anyone has to say for a first time pup camper for this park?

2. Zephyr

Zephyr Active Member

Ha! I was just looking at a map last night while planning a road trip. We should go to Devil's Den, I said.

I camped there on a family road trip back in the 60s, so I have no current info. However, I do remember that the hiking was really fun (from a kid point of view).

3. dfitzgerald727

dfitzgerald727 Member

We typically hike/camp Petit Jean, but decided to branch out a little bit for our maiden voyage! This will be our first camping trip with our 2 year old as well!

4. VulcanGuy

VulcanGuy New Member

where are You thinking of staying ?

5. dfitzgerald727

dfitzgerald727 Member

We are staying at Devil's Den State Park in Northwest Arkansas.

6. froggie

froggie New Member

It's beautful, #1. Lots of hiking, beautiful scenery. I would suggest splurging on the more expensive sites. The others are along the main road through the park. Sites in the W/E/S sites are largerher. Kidscan ride bikes.

7. dfitzgerald727

dfitzgerald727 Member

We went with the 40 foot w/e/s site just to make sure we had plenty of room, and it's the same price as the smaller sites so why not? ;) I'm excited to get out and do some hiking with our little one, really show him the great outdoors.

8. dfitzgerald727

dfitzgerald727 Member

So, I finally found time to review after my stay. I have to say, i'd give the park a 7/10. We will start with the veggies, the campsites were a little precariously placed for anyone with children. I'm not sure how the rest of the sites were set up but ours had stairs down to the picnic table and was just set up weird overall. Also, one of the days we stayed, the transformer blew for our campground, they were very prompt about fixing it, but something happened and caused the box at the post to become electrified, which as you can imagine was a "shocking" experience. The bathhouse in our campground was not serviced beyond replacing toilet paper. The showers weren't clean, to the point I opted for an in camper baby wipe bath versus setting foot in one, and the toilets were in a constant state of clogged. Now for the dessert, the trails were nice, aside from being poorly marked as to what was trail and what was just a natural path. A note to future hikers, stop at the visitor center and get a brochure for all the trails, or you won't know anything about any of the marked monuments. The staff was very friendly and was always willing to come out and play with the kids. The visitor center doesn't offer much in the way of emergency supplies, just a few t-shirts and some 9-volt batteries. I would consider visiting again, but would try and pick a campground that was a little more level and make sure I planned for every contingency.

9. dvldog782

dvldog782 New Member

Sounds like you were in Campground E. I stayed there one time while I had my PU. I only live about 30 miles away from there, so I frequent this SP even when not camping. My stay there was pleasant. No power outages, etc. The bathrooms were clean, and no clogged toilets. Perhaps it was a little busier while you were there? I don't have weekends off, and so is a little less crowded during week when I go.

As a matter of fact, I'm taking my new TT there to set it up for the first time, this week. I'll try to get some pics in.