Dewinterize, bleach, and hot water heater

Discussion in 'Camper Storage / Winterizing & De-Winterizing' started by jk70, Mar 12, 2016.

1. jk70

jk70 Member

I have flushed my system of the RV Antifreeze and have kept the hot water bypass valve open with the hot and cold water valves still closed. I am now going to add bleach to sanitize . Should I close the bypass valve and open the hot cold water valves at this point?

2. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Yes .. always sanitize the WH... Just remember to drain the water heater prior to flushing the bleach out of the system and let the heater fill up with new fresh water ..

3. Nanapoppypops

Nanapoppypops Member

Hi there, assuming I have photographed my water heater, could you tell me from picture what I would need to do to get antifreeze of lines. Fresh water tank is outside. Cannot tell if this was bypassed and dealer didn't seem to know either . Also an anode would be a clue but I don't see one here. Help

Attached Files:

4. GalsofEscape

GalsofEscape Active Member

That does not look like a water heater. The water heater would be a roundish shape tank wrapped in styofoam with blue and red water lines coming in and out of it.

5. GalsofEscape

not sure where yours would be located, in my old hw - it was in the dinette bench - in my current hybrid, it is in the front cabinet.

6. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

That would be your furnace with the cover removed ..

7. Nanapoppypops

Nanapoppypops Member

Okay. Ugh! At least I know that now. Have a feeling it's under the long bench. That means it's probably bypassed which will be another issue. . Thank you

8. Nanapoppypops

Nanapoppypops Member

Would someone be able to give me the steps of cleaning the water system, how to drain the the hot water tank and get it out of the bypass mode and turned on for hot water? So sorry, I don't know where to start

9. GalsofEscape

your dealer was not alot of help was it -
    your water heater tank should be empty - if you look on the outside of your camper - you should see a metal cover
    [​IMG]That is the outside portion of you water heater. There is a tab up near the top that will allow the cover to be opened - the anode rod will be there

From inside the camper - you should see the lines going into and out of the water heater -
    the blue will be on the bottom (cold water coming in) and the red line at the top (hot water going out) - there will be a cut off line between them - we may need to see a picture of your set up to tell you how to get it out of bypass. They can be a bit different.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Sjm9911 likes this.
  10. GalsofEscape

i usually leave the water heater in by pass until after i have flushed out the antifreeze. So to do that - fill your fresh water tank with water, turn on the pump and then turn on each faucet until all the pink has gone away. You can then add bleach to the fresh water tank (after inserting the anode rod) and run the water though each faucet until you smell bleach. Then you can take the water heater out of bypass and fill it with bleachy water. Let sit a while (or overnight) then drain the fresh water tank (stopcock on the bottom of the fresh water tank) fill with fresh water, drain again, refill and then run fresh eater all through the system until the bleach is gone.

11. GalsofEscape

the best way to drain the water heater - is to remove the anode rod (stand to the side when you do that unless you want to get wet.

12. Nanapoppypops

Nanapoppypops Member

Dear Gals of Escape, thank you for the time in explaining. I think we had feared the pups exploration due to the fact we would find something else we didn't know anything about. We are learning to explore the unknown, even at our age! I will get that picture tomorrow and send to you. We spent the morning with the pup teaching US how to park! I've got to come up with a name for this patient pup. Thank you again. Nana

13. GalsofEscape

we have all been there! my first camper was a highwall popup - it was a STEEP learning curve so i get it. and remember - not having water is not a trip stopper. you can always bring a jug of water and heat it on the stove .......i hope you get out there and truly enjoy the pup -

14. Nanapoppypops

Nanapoppypops Member

ima little braver than I should be but the pup is camping for the first time this coming weekend so, Here We Go! In the past, we had a tent with four kids in it so this is our retirement fun, off the ground! I'll get that pic to you tomorrow. Have a great day

15. GalsofEscape

Enjoy!!