Dewinterizing a 2001 Jayco Eagle 10 PUP

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by FamilyMank, Jun 23, 2019.

1. FamilyMank

FamilyMank New Member

Hi everyone!

We recently bought a PUP, and the previous owners had winterized it, and I am having a hard time finding a video to show us how to DEwinterize it properly. We went on our first trip, and hooked up to city water - and water came pouring out of what we assume is the overflow of the freshwater tank. NO idea what all the valve handles go to, and the schematics diagram in the manual isn't helpful as it looks NOTHING like the actual set up. Help!

2. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

3. FamilyMank

FamilyMank New Member

I have the manual. It has *schematic* diagrams - which look *nothing* like the actual set up, so I have no idea how to follow the directions given. Nothing is labelled in the pup.

4. HappyTraveler

HappyTraveler Active Member

Thinking you're probably just going to have to learn by doing. The manual gives the general outline of what needs to be done. Since the schematic aren't like your actual set-up, you just have to wing it. That means turning knobs and seeing what happens. If you get stuck maybe take a picture and post it here with your question.
    We're kind of in the same boat, but luckily both of us are twiddlers and are always pushing buttons, turning knobs and flipping switches to see what it does.
    The only time I would advise to not do this is when working with things that could blow up, like propane and gasoline; most other times not too dangerous. ;)

5. TheBlurb

TheBlurb Member

My 2003 manual is equally ambiguous. Given the degree of detail automakers have in their manuals, I’m not sure why this is.

In your case, only thing I can think of is the drain valve might be open. Follow the water lines to find it.

6. IndyRick

IndyRick Member

Welcome from a fellow Jayco owner.

On my Jayco, there are 3 drains: cold, hot, & storage tank. All 3 valves are under the trailer. The storage tank does not interact with city water, so it was likely your hot & cold drains that were open. Most valves in a trailer are ball valves, which means they each just need a 90 degree turn to open/close. If you hook back up to city water, close both valves and run water through all of your faucets until they run clear.

Your water storage tank uses a separate fill "connection", and delivers water by means of a pump (probably 12v). It, too, was winterized, but requires more to dewinterize than the city water system. If its drain is open, you'll start getting water out almost as soon as you start filling it. If the drain is closed, you'll get water out of the overflow when the tank is full. It will take several minutes (depends on capacity & flow rate) to fill the tank. To dewinterize it, you will need to flush it a couple of times. Fill it partially with water and sanitizing solution (commercial solution or a bleach solution), and then flush that.

HappyTraveler likes this.