Dexter axle ez- lube (greasing the bearings)

SteveP

Super Active Member
Platinum Supporting Member
May 21, 2015
IMO, the most actual work to manually packing the bearings is jacking the the trailer and setting the jack stands. Everything else is a little tedious but not physically difficult. If you have to jack it up anyway why not pull the hub, clean and inspect the brakes, get eyes on the bearings and races to check for wear or heat discoloration and replace the seals. It's greener, uses less grease. All that extra grease packed into the hub is actually a heat sink that will cause your hub to run hotter and not cool off at fast. Unless you're consistently pulling the trailer through hub deep water you don't need all that grease in the hub.

Coles

Apr 24, 2021
Massachusetts
I own a Dexter EZ Lube, 3500 pound axle built in 2014 and have rebuilt same. That Isnt one. But after seeing what the previous owner did I grease the bearings the old fashion way. No loss.
I ended up doing them yesterday and I’m glad I did! Turned out that even tho it looked well greased - the inner bearings had a lot of old gummed up grease in them and evidently it overheated and someone just squirted some new grease in there to try to remedy it. The new grease mixed with the old and it was like dried up pudding in there! It took a half a can of cleaner but I got them all cleaned and repacked.. and peace of mind knowing they are done correctly now! There was some etching on the axel but I caught it before it was too bad.

Attachments

• 33CA5F5A-F15F-4705-BA29-3033B49DE345.jpeg
    33CA5F5A-F15F-4705-BA29-3033B49DE345.jpeg
    247.5 KB · Views: 82

WrkrBee

Super Active Member
May 23, 2018
South Carolina
I ended up doing them yesterday and I’m glad I did! Turned out that even tho it looked well greased - the inner bearings had a lot of old gummed up grease in them and evidently it overheated and someone just squirted some new grease in there to try to remedy it. The new grease mixed with the old and it was like dried up pudding in there! It took a half a can of cleaner but I got them all cleaned and repacked.. and peace of mind knowing they are done correctly now! There was some etching on the axel but I caught it before it was too bad.
Glad you did. I've never been a fan of the EZ Lube design, as you can tell from post #20 here. Whoever designed it, has no understanding of sealing, bearing, and grease technology or fluid dynamics.

Econ

Super Active Member
Aug 18, 2019
Deep South
the most actual work to manually packing the bearings is jacking

On mine you have to jack it up and remove the tire to remove the decorative center cap. Then put the tire back on to spin it. Then tire off again and cap on, etc. A mileage record is kept how many miles since the last regreasing.

and evidently it overheated T
It took a half a can of cleaner but I got them all cleaned and repacked.. and peace of mind knowing they are done correctly now! .

If the bearings overheated suggest replacing them.
I replaced the wheel bearings and both seals to establish a baseline. Examined the brake magnets and they will probably need replacing next time. I think it is cheaper to replace the wheel hub unit than buy individual parts to may replace with a self adjusting brake hubs.

On mine the previous owner was very proud that before each trip they dumped a ton of grease into the axle without rotating the wheel. They never pulled the hub. The grease was blowing past the rear seal. Got home and pulled the hubs. And found about 5 tubes of grease in each

WrkrBee

Super Active Member
May 23, 2018
South Carolina
On mine the previous owner was very proud that before each trip they dumped a ton of grease into the axle without rotating the wheel. They never pulled the hub. The grease was blowing past the rear seal. Got home and pulled the hubs. And found about 5 tubes of grease in each
I guess I should add, whoever designed the EZ Lube system, didn't understand people either.

Coles

Apr 24, 2021
Massachusetts
On mine you have to jack it up and remove the tire to remove the decorative center cap. Then put the tire back on to spin it. Then tire off again and cap on, etc. A mileage record is kept how many miles since the last regreasing.

If the bearings overheated suggest replacing them.
I replaced the wheel bearings and both seals to establish a baseline. Examined the brake magnets and they will probably need replacing next time. I think it is cheaper to replace the wheel hub unit than buy individual parts to may replace with a self adjusting brake hubs.

Oh my word!!

Jun 24, 2019
Mays Landing NJ
Hi everyone..
So I’ve looked thru numerous threads and can’t find the answer to what I need.
I recently purchased a very gently used 2015 forest river Mac pop up.
It needs almost all of the normal yearly maintenance stuff done. But this is my very first camper.
I googled and YouTubed the crap out of wheel bearing greasing.
I know I have a dexter axle system due to the owners manual. I thought it was the quick lube system.. but after removing the tire. I’m thinking it may be the sealed system. I’m gonna post pics. I tried to take off the cap and couldn’t. Have any of you had this? Do I need to pry it off and try to lube it??

Jun 24, 2019
Mays Landing NJ
Hi everyone..
It needs almost all of the normal yearly maintenance stuff done. But this is my very first camper.
I know I have a dexter axle system due to the owners manual. I thought it was the quick lube system.. but after removing the tire. I’m thinking it may be the sealed system. I’m gonna post pics. I tried to take off the cap and couldn’t. Have any of you had this? Do I need to pry it off and try to lube it??
You need to smack the crap out of bearing cap. It does come off. I could not get new ones to go all the way on until I bought the installation tool for caps. You should repack bearings with marine grease, if it does not have a grease fitting. Otherwise, lube the crap out of bearings using grease fitting, then put back cap FIRMLY. If you do not seat the bearing cap, it will come off and get dirt in your bearings, eventually causing catastrophic failure - which you don't want! May as well pulll the drum and inspect electric brakes if you have them. Mine had parts flopping in the breeze after a spring broke. Wound up installing new drum, bearings, cap, etc. Had to use bicycle tire spoons to adjust the tiny adjusters on 7" brakes!

Patrick keller

Oct 16, 2020
Hi everyone..
I know I have a dexter axle system due to the owners manual. I thought it was the quick lube system.. but after removing the tire. I’m thinking it may be the sealed system. I’m gonna post pics. I tried to take off the cap and couldn’t. Have any of you had this? Do I need to pry it off and try to lube it??[/QUOTE

Camperboy#13

May 6, 2016
Bearing Buddy at your local auto parts store. Remvoe old grease cap tap on Bearing Buddy and grease with a quality grease. I use Castrol Pyroplex Blue

Rob Roy

Sep 9, 2019
Hi everyone..

As mentioned, use a flathead screwdriver or a dulled chisel. Use a hammer to tap around the perimeter and be persistent. It will eventually yield. Remove the nut and cotter pin that holds the hub in place. Grease (by hand with rubber gloves) the inside and outside bearings before replacing the hub and cotter pin. Good Luck!

Coles

Apr 24, 2021
Massachusetts
How much grease should I put in the hub itself? Or do I just put a generous amount around the bearing then stick it back in?
It’s First time doing this so I don’t want to put too much or too little.

SteveP

Super Active Member
Platinum Supporting Member
May 21, 2015
After cleaning I coat the spindle and the inside of the hub with just a thin coat of fresh grease to prevent condensation and rust.

WrkrBee

Super Active Member
May 23, 2018
South Carolina
If your not in the middle of doing it now, i just got this and it sure beats hand packing.
I guess I'm just old school. I like cleaning, seeing, and feeling the rollers. It's not about speed. I like feeling the grease and pushing it through the rollers. It's a mechanic's thing.