Dexter axles and Jeep Rims?

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by Thom, Feb 1, 2012.

1. Thom

Thom New Member

Hello everyone,

I am going to re-purpose some old Jeep Cherokee Aluminum OEM wheels/tires for my camper build. I've read of some concerns that the hole in the hub won't fit over a Dexter Axle spindle. Has anyone run into this problem? I've heard wheel spacers were the best solution.

Anybody have experience with this issue?

Thanks

Thom

2. robinsonfam1

robinsonfam1 New Member

no experience in exactly what youre looking for but.....

its going to depend on the spindle/hub that the axle has compared to the wheel you choose. there are a bunch of different jeep rims and hubs and pup axle hubs out there to make a general yes no answer.

best is to just compare, if you already have them then try a swap and see if it works.

keep an eye on up-travel of axle in comparison to the wheel well/clearance issues.

3. Retired Alex

Retired Alex New Member

Things to consider;
    What is the off set of the rims as compared to the trailer rim? If not correct, it could put excess pressure on the bearings and burn them out.
    Are you going to be able to put trailer tires on the new rims? Some trailer tires call for specific size (width) rims.
    If you are going with the truck tires, are they going to support the weight of the trailer? There is lots of debate on here on trailer tires vs passenger/truck tires.
    I am no expert, but these are just a few thoughts that you may want to consider/research.

4. papachaz

papachaz New Member

if you're building from scratch, could you go to the junk yard and buy a used jeep axle????

5. Thom

Thom New Member

Last night I installed the lift on my Cherokee and put the new rims/tires on. The hub opening on my OEM rims is 2.75" I just got off the phone with the engineer at Dexter and he said the hub portion that would stick through it 2.6". So it looks like it'll be a nice fit. I'll have to get rid of the tiny hub with the "Jeep" logo on it, but that's a small price to pay for being able use rims I already own with no spacer!

6. Gehrcke

Gehrcke New Member

If they are the steel wheels, they should work. I don't think the aluminum wheels have the same size opening. I'm running jeep wheels.on my utility trailer for about 8 years. No problems.

7. Thom

Thom New Member

They're aluminum - is it a different sized lug?

8. zjrog

zjrog Member

Alloy wheels should fit. If you measured the opening and the engineer shows the axle hub to be smaller then should be good. On my Cherokee, the lug studs aren't as long as on my Grand Cherokee. So I can't fit alloy wheels on it safely.

On the suggestion of using a Jeep axle for a trailer, bad bad bad idea. The Dana 35 is usually a C-clip axle. if the C-clip falls out, the axle walks out of the axle and you have an ugly day. Disc brakes on that axle will usually keep the axle from walking if the clip comes loose. Also, oiling of the axle can be an issue and could cause problems if there isn't enough lube in the differential.