DH is a diabetic

Discussion in 'Camping for the Medically/Physically Challenged' started by nowjustjules, Feb 13, 2009.

1. jacrabbitt

jacrabbitt Active Member

Never knew you could OTC insulin. I use 40 units every other day Levemir long acting. They claim 45 days unrefridged.

2. bob barnes

bob barnes Well-Known Member

walmart bought some company that made an older insulin 27.00 a vial they carry both fast acting and long acting! I used to use those others found out about these and they work my checkbook knows about it guess I am lucky. Next time you are in walmart stop by the pharmacy I don't know why they don't tell people about this!

as for holding I took a 2 months supply to Europe no refrigeration no problems. I go camping for up to 2 mos at a time same deal no problems. I am not one to fuss and fuss over being diabetic worrying will drive you crazy. Same with my heart surgery I don't take any blood thinners just one pill I cannot recall the name of it.

As for otc I think this stuff Walmart makes and sells is the only one you can get that way!

3. bob barnes

As a side note I have been diabetic for a long time I am thinking 30 years or more I used to get by with pills but they quit working so my doc put me on insulin the high dollar stuff. I fell for the loaded jobs that was when my insurance paid most of it but when medicare hit I found things to be quite different on my part to be paid.

Now I have friends who take all the high priced meds they can find personally I don't get it as this can get expensive but one worked for a company that still picks up a good part of his med cost. Most of us don't have this so we have to do some digging and that is what I did I take a lot of meds for different things but they are all generic no charge. Even with that my meds were expensive due to at that time no generic for insulin talk about a racket they keep doing minor improvements to protect their patents keeping out the generic players in the marketplace.

A diabetics life is certainly different than other folks but you can learn to live with it. I have eaten a good meal and 1 hour later plunge down in the low 40s no idea what caused it and since it only happens once in a while I don't run to the dr. and spend a bunch of money! I don't spend hours fussing over what I eat following charts I have a friend that does this he is still no better off than me with his averages.

This is my policy I am not a health nut I enjoy life as much as I can at 76 and heart surgery it seems to be working if I didn't have all my back problems I would probably be working p/t somewhere. My mom was a health nut she wouldn't go anywhere as she worried she would be to far away from her drs. I ask what kind of a life is this?

You can let health issues chain you down in your life!!!

Hankster and Aneemal33 like this.
  4. jacrabbitt

jacrabbitt Active Member

If I punch in @ 140 I feel like a champ. I get the early morning dump. I'll jack to 180 or so.by noon 120. A1c about 7.5.....yea I drink my Pepsi about 1 a day.Diet swill sucks........cut way back on the taters and bread. Bout 175 usta be 2 bucks....11 years I been playin this game...Booze..No beer

Last edited: Jul 25, 2017
    bob barnes likes this.
  5. Aneemal33

Aneemal33 Active Member

Is she on straight Insulin? I am a diabetic, Type II, but use an insulin booster [Lantus]. That only has to be refrigerated for long term storage. Once you take it out of the fridge, it is good for a week if you don't get it too hot.

6. Aneemal33

Aneemal33 Active Member

That's similar to Lantus. You must not be too bad, I take 70 units twice a day of that stuff.

7. MsMac

MsMac Well-Known Member

My partner does the Lantus injections at night. His pens are good for 30 days, once opened, unrefrigerated.

The only issue he's had is his tester being too cold in the mornings, so he needs to remember to stick it in his pocket for about 10 minutes before he tests. :)

8. bob barnes

jackrabbit I trained myself to like diet coke now I cant stand the one with all the sugar in it I can gulp 6 a day and still be in good shape!!