Diabetic Meals

Discussion in 'Camping for the Medically/Physically Challenged' started by Jean, Oct 9, 2009.

1. Jean

Jean New Member

Dh is a diabetic, but fortunately he is able to control it by eating a low carb diet. We recently went camping and encountered rain. (Imagine! In Oregon of all places.)

We decided that we need "emergency rations" in the pup. What I'm not sure about, is what those can be. Clearly, top ramen, spaghetti, hamburger helper are all quick easy meals that don't go bad, but not exactly low carb.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks
    Jean

2. beemerboy

beemerboy New Member

I am pre-diabetic and I've found that ANY pasta or rice dishes have to be off the menu.

We usually bring peanut butter, low sugar jelly and bread. Bacon, eggs, canned ham, canned soups (be careful about carbs and sodium), canned/fresh veggies, tuna, etc. Mostly things we like that we would normally eat at home that can be packed or even frozen first.

We always plan for ease of cooking on the gas stove so there is no need for emergency rations. Of course, steaks cooked over a wood fire is the best, but if need be it can cooked in the skillet on the gas stove.

3. apachejeep

apachejeep New Member

Although not exactly emergency storage rations, but Cheese Sticks work well kept in the cooler.
    And peppermint hard candies, for a quick boost.

4. Jean

Jean New Member

Good ideas. Thank you.

Where do you buy the canned ham? Rite Aid used to have it many years ago, but I haven't looked lately.

Jean

5. beemerboy

beemerboy New Member

Most super markets have canned ham it would probably be in the same aisle as SPAM [:(O] . I believe Hormel has a low sodium version. You could try dollar stores, I think the last canned ham I got was from a BIG LOTS! store. Maybe even WallyWorld.

I just made a fabulous mushroom soup using fresh mushrooms that was very easy to make and could be made on a gas stove. It didn't have a milk or cream and it didn't make me spike.

I also bring a few power bars in case I start to have a low. Also some real maple syrup and milk for a quick boost.

6. Retired Alex

Retired Alex New Member

Go to your Doctor or a Diabetic Nutritionist nurse and have them work up a diet for your husband based on the number of carbohydrates required for each meal. That way you can eat whatever you want as long as you stay within the allotted number of carbs.

Most, if not all foods have the number of carbs per serving written on the label so it is easy to keep track of the carbs you are consuming.

This is how I control my blood sugar level. I take NPH Insulin in the morning and at night to establish my baseline sugar level and then take NovoRapid Insulin each time I eat. The dietician worked out a base dose of NovaRapid and I adjust the dose based on my blood sugar level before a meal and on how many carbs I eat at a specific meal. If I want to pig out, I just take more insulin, if I don't eat the allotted number of carbs I decrease the dose and if I don't eat, I don't take any insulin.

This system has been working well for me for the last 8 years. My Hemaglobin A1C levels have always been in the 7 to 7.5 range, I beleive that works out to about 100 to 110 in your measurement s.

7. jnjsawyer

jnjsawyer New Member

I'm just wondering here....

The "new" pastas with the added fiber.... does that do anything good for diabetes? We don't have diabetes but I've stopped buying the other pastas and started buying these because of the additional fiber content - oh, and THEY TASTE JUST LIKE THE OTHER STUFF. While you're at the dietician's office, you should ask her about it. Because I agree pasta is a nice staple to have around in the rain! Good luck and let us know what you figure out!

8. Retired Alex

Retired Alex New Member

When you note the number of grams of carbohydrates in a portion size of an item of food, you subtract the number of grams of fiber in the portion size to get the total carbs for that portion size. So the more fiber the better.

9. beemerboy

beemerboy New Member

The new pastas like Dreamfields are better. However, everyone reacts differently. Even at different times of the day.

I can occasionally eat Dreamfields, but only a small portion with pesto or something like that.

As far as the whole wheat pasta [:(O] [:(O] [:(O] [:(O] [:(O] [:(O]

10. beemerboy

beemerboy New Member

I've always loved baked beans, my Mom use to make them almost every other week when I was a kid. But now they raise my numbers into the very bad range. So I've been experimenting on how to make baked beans that would not only taste good but not raise my blood sugar level out of the safe range.

I came up with something that works very well and actually tastes good.

1 can Goya pink beans rinsed well.
    3 slices of reduced sodium bacon, chopped.
    1/4 small onion.
    1/4 cup of artificial maple syrup (with Splenda) I like Vermont brand.
    1 tablespoon ketchup.
    1 tablespoon Dijon mustard.
    1/2 cup water.

I use my 10 inch cast iron frying pan.

Rinse beans well to remove most of the salt. Chop raw bacon and onion.

Cook bacon and onions slowly until onions are soft, bacon will appear to be undercooked but that's what we want. Do not drain bacon fat. Add water, syrup, mustard and ketchup. Mix well. Add beans and simmer over medium-low heat for about ten to fifteen minutes or until liquid reaches desired consistency.

Recipe makes about three servings. Cooking time and prep time about 45 minutes.

A serving of beans, two hot dogs without rolls, a small scoop of cottage cheese and a few potato chips is my favorite Saturday night dinner [:)O] .

11. Rockies Bill

Rockies Bill Runnin' with the pack!

I'm a diabetic and when I go camping, I eat just about anything I want, For some reason all my numbers drop including my weight. [:O] My doctor actually gives me prescriptions to go camping. [:D]

12. slowfatknitter

slowfatknitter Member

There is a publication by Better Homes and Gardens, titled Diabetic Living. I recommend it to my cardiac patients. The recipes are attractive, easily prepared and do not require alot of ingrediants. They have everything from chicken, turkey and beef menus, as well as desserts. The recipes include caloric/carbs breakdowns. I've tried several of them and my family has no idea that they are eating healthy. You might try googling diabetic camping recipes. I also keep Jenny-O turkey products in the freezer. The sausage and roasts are easy to cook in a small toaster oven on the counter. [RTM]

13. TwoHappyCampers

TwoHappyCampers New Member

I have to second the above recommendation for Diabetic Living. I gave my mom a subscription for her birthday a few years ago. I now get it, I am not Diabetic. The recipes are great! DH and I both enjoy them. They also are available online. www.diabeticlivingonline.com You can sign up for a weekly newsletter too.

14. johnsagraves

johnsagraves New Member

I have been fighting this nasty disease for 10 years or more. Yep it is my own fault, being type 2 and due to overweight by about 30 lbs. I am usually able to keep it in control with oral medications and diet, but Christmas I ate too much many sweets any the diabetes was out of control. If you know much about the nasty bugger, the highs numbers in the 200 plus really do not affect how you feel except frequent urination and may sleepy. It is when you get below 75 that the problems really hits. The low sugar levels are devistating with me not being able to move and think clearly. A lot of the medications can drive one to the low state. Due to this, I watch very closely what medications I take and know the effect of each. Metformin, Januvia does not seem to drive you in the low numbers like gluberide and advandia. Just get familiar what works for you and eat sensibly, very little Blue Bell Homemade Vanilla or candy.

I have been on every kind of diet know to man and swing within a 40 lb range. I find if I keep it to 1500 calories a day, one cant get in much trouble. I am now 6 ft. 1 and weight 225. Yep things would improve if I kept it below 200, but at 63 yrs old, it just ain't going to happen.

Keep Campin and enjoy life. Keep the Orange juice handy for those lows or a good Snickers.

15. PattieAM

PattieAM New Member

I take Prednisone (steroid) for my rheumatoid arthritis, and in August, it jacked up my blood sugar level. My rheumatologist (RA DR) is slowly weaning me off of it, and my primary care (PC) dr. has me on glipizide to reduce the blood sugar, and I do test daily.

I find eating while camping not a problem as I'm now into low carbs and sugar free bevereages, sugar free pudding/jello for my daily treat. I do try to avoid starches and stick with the green veggies. Hard boiled eggs are versitile and I stock a few of them.

Most meats are no problem, so most of my meals are meat and green veggies. I have a sugar free pudding to take my pills with, then when I can face food, I have egg and sausage or bacon for breakfast, a hot dog (no bun/bread) and a veggie and no sugar added fruit cup for lunch and meat and veggies for dinner - before bed I do a SF jello cup with a dollop of ready-whip (ain't that many carbs).

I did stock up on the Murray's cookies, then didn't eat them. Have tried SF candy and don't care for it, and cannot really stand diet soda, so beverages are coffee with equal, tea with equal and an occassional Sprite Zero. Of course I drink good old water too!

16. Patti Patton

Patti Patton New Member

Dreamfields works great for me, but it is definitely on an individual basis. I experimented on myself by using exact measurements and checking BS levels every 2 hrs. checking for lows or spikes. My friend also has diabetes and Dreamfields was not successful for her.
    There are also low carb breads available called Healthy Life. I have had diabetes for 41 years and avoiding unnecessary carbs at every meal is just natural for me now. I LOVE spaghetti squash with my favorite home made sauce!