Did I get lucky, or are Canadians just more courteous?

Toedtoes

Super Active Member
May 28, 2018
California
Heck we will even get in the basket when we get arrested by a policeman on a bike!

Reminds me of my first trip to Ottawa. I was at the folk festival and said hello to a couple of musicians I had been in email contact with. They asked if I had a place to stay and if not, here was their address and I could crash on their couch.

I replied rather dumbfounded "um, I'm from California. Musicians don't give out their addresses..." Michael told me that Canadian fans are very polite and when you say "get the F off my lawn", they get off your lawn". :)

myride

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
May 14, 2015
Edmonton, AB
Wow you make it sound like the USA didnt need help from anybody? Pretty sure my grandfather and his brothers fought in the WITH America during the war in the pacific. Actually it was an American plane that strafed a canadian ship off the coast of Italy killing many men and causing my grandmothers father to pick shrapnel from his legs for ten years before he died. Used to keep the bits that would work themselves out of his body in a mason jar.
So I would tread very lightly when talking about this stuff. Now go camping because you can. All those brave men and women fought so we could be free to do as we want!
Nicely stated Adam

1380ken

Super Active Member
Nov 7, 2013
Mass
Touchy people. Canada has less then 40 million people. The USA has more than 300 million. USA defense spending = 610 Billion, Canada defense spending=15 Billion. Way more people are mad at the USA than Canada. You ask why people around the world like Canadians better than Americans.

Last edited:

Balthisar

Jun 26, 2018
Plymouth, MI USA
Touchy people. Canada has less then 40 million people. The USA has more than 300 million. USA defense spending = 610 Billion, Canada defense spending=15 Billion. Way more people are mad at the USA than Canada. You ask why people around the world like Canadians better than Americans.

Hating people for their government actions is just stupid. I never hated the Soviet people, for example, and I don't hate my fellow Americans now. I don't hate Cubans, and I don't hate Chinese people, and I don't hate North Koreans or black Zimbabweans (or white, for that matter).

That said, Canada's defense budget can be what it is because its neighbor is the United States, and we're friends. Good friends. We won't let anyone invade Canada, and Canada's defense budget reflects that, as do the budgets of other US allies. That's not meant to slight Canada -- I've lived in Canada, visit often, have family there, and respect it. But it's the truth.

That said, Canada's defense budget can be what it is because its neighbor is the United States, and we're friends. Good friends. We won't let anyone invade Canada, and Canada's defense budget reflects that, as do the budgets of other US allies. That's not meant to slight Canada -- I've lived in Canada, visit often, have family there, and respect it. But it's the truth.

I think I'm finding that statement borderline offensive. There is a reason why the Americans are not well liked in many parts of the world. For instance, the invasion of Iraq. The public thinks it was because of the 9-11 attack and so called "WMD's". There was never any evidence of WMD's, Iraq had nothing to do with the attack and the U.S. population was never told that the Bush family and associates have a very large financial stake in the oil fields. Bush used the U.S. military to gain control and protect oil well's so his family didn't loose money. Pathetic. You have been lied to.

Steveo4090

Super Active Member
Jun 26, 2020
Lancaster PA
I think I'm finding that statement borderline offensive. There is a reason why the Americans are not well liked in many parts of the world. For instance, the invasion of Iraq. The public thinks it was because of the 9-11 attack and so called "WMD's". There was never any evidence of WMD's, Iraq had nothing to do with the attack and the U.S. population was never told that the Bush family and associates have a very large financial stake in the oil fields. Bush used the U.S. military to gain control and protect oil well's so his family didn't loose money. Pathetic. You have been lied to.
How bout we all go back to camping discussions and leave the political rants to Facebook and Twitter. Everyone has their own opinions, including me, but we don't have to force those opinions on each other via social media.
Please give it a rest...this really isn't the place. Take the high road.

myride

Super Active Member
Gold Supporting Member
May 14, 2015
Edmonton, AB
How bout we all go back to camping discussions and leave the political rants to Facebook and Twitter. Everyone has their own opinions, including me, but we don't have to force those opinions on each other via social media.
Please give it a rest...this really isn't the place. Take the high road.

Steveo. ..last post to this thread was a year ago.....seems everyone but SOMEONE did go camping and left it alone....till today.

1380ken

Super Active Member
Nov 7, 2013
Mass
This was a strange year. Usually when we go camping near Mt Washington everyone in the food store is speaking french.At home everyone in the food store is speaking Spanish. Can't understand either but the French sound cooler.

Toedtoes

Super Active Member
May 28, 2018
California
This was a strange year. Usually when we go camping near Mt Washington everyone in the food store is speaking french.At home everyone in the food store is speaking Spanish. Can't understand either but the French sound cooler.

Reminds me of my trip to Montreal. I had done some homework beforehand learning a few phrases of French. When I got there, every time someone spoke French to me, I froze and all I could think of was my Spanish from 7th grade. I'd walk away and the appropriate French phrase would pop back in my head.

rover rob

Feb 5, 2018
upstate ny
This particular KOA is definitely worse than other CGs that we stay at.

And don't get me started on people from Chicago. I used to live in Southern Illinois, and they would invade the area every fall for deer season. Every year without fail, some knucklehead from Chicago would not only shoot a cow or a horse, but they would try to take it to a check station!!
seen a new Yorker (city) take a gutted goat to a check station in maine. that was funny but not for him lol.

Jack Sprat

Aug 31, 2019
NC
Reminds me of my trip to Montreal. I had done some homework beforehand learning a few phrases of French. When I got there, every time someone spoke French to me, I froze and all I could think of was my Spanish from 7th grade. I'd walk away and the appropriate French phrase would pop back in my head.