Did you bring the keys ???

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by jeffanddeb, Jun 12, 2011.

1. BillNH60

BillNH60 a bad day camping is just better than working

that's how I got my PUP. the guy I got it from had left his key behind going to bike week in Laconia NH and had to use a can opener(Large swiss army knife) to get in, I got the PUP for $900 and see them in the paper all the time for $2,000. 1 hr with some sheet metal and rivets and almost good as new. [:D]

2. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

I keep the pup keys with my truck keys on my key ring all the time. This way I will always have them..

3. adamteja

adamteja New Member

Uaaarrrghh!

I did this on our last trip. I must have left the keys on top of the battery when I hooked up to the TV.

Needless to say, I sent the wife off to find another Coleman owner to borrow the key from at the CG.

I'm slowly replacing all the keys I lost. Yep, both sets of keys were on the same carabiner if you can believe it.

Camper. Thule locks. Yakima locks. Hitch lock.... an expensive lesson to make. At least I didn't have to cut anything off. ;)

4. donnie_o8

donnie_o8 New Member

Also don't unlock everything (door , storage compartments) then set the keys on the roof before ya pop up. This makes it hard to find your keys after all is set up.......Umm Im just sayin ......

5. Noni

Noni See ya' out there !

[:D] been there, done that.

so our solution has been: keep one set of keys on the TV and one in the rig. If one is missing then is scavenger hunt play time....

6. missnanc

missnanc Give me the fresh outdoors!

DH keeps our keys in the TV. On our last trip, we realized that our doorlock, slips when closed and locks itself. Can't tell you the number of times I had to pull back the velcro and stick my arm in to open it. (Like I said he keeps the keys in the TV not on his person and I'm to impatient to wait).

7. wardco

wardco New Member

Did that once with my old 1996 Coleman Sun Valley on a hunting trip.

Remembered 3 hours into the drive and there was no way I was turning around and going back.

The 96 Sun Valley has the door/step. We climbed in and out over the top of that little half door all weekend. Not the end of the world, but not very convenient!!

I now have a hide a key in my newer camper.

8. skatiero

skatiero New Member

I am so lucky to be married to a locksmith! I am very absentminded.

9. dnikkor

dnikkor New Member

Camper key on the ring with the key to the hitch lock, so I can't hook up w/o having all the keys I need in hand. DW has a second set and a third is in a magnetic holder under the pup. Guess I'll never be locked out.

10. CherylL5156

CherylL5156 Vassar, MI USA

One other suggestion to solve this problem that we use for [TV]'s,[PU]'s, etc.: make copy of key(s) and [DUCT] them to the inside of your license plate(s). You can find a screw driver [almost] anywhere you happen to land! Just another [2C] here. Keep on [:D]ing!!!!

C.T.

11. Greywuff

Greywuff Member

It is my experience with most of the locks on my Pup...if you stick any key in it and wiggle it up and down, while holding slight pressure on the key toward the way you want it to turn...the lock usually turns regardless to whether its the right key or not. Exception to that rule...the door that housed my potty tank...I rung the right key off in the lock trying to unlock it on the last outing. Im thinking seriously of replacing the locking closure with one that doesnt lock so there wont be a future issue. I can not imagine anyone would want to steel the tank from my potty!!!!! [:(O]

12. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

and Travel Trailers, 5th wheels, bay doors and propane stations, [8D]

13. barb_dave

barb_dave Active Member

One of the first things I did when we got the camper is had extra keys made. I have an extra in one of those magnetic key boxes on the inside of the bumber. Never had to use it yet.

14. jasf

jasf New Member

Keys? What are keys? We never got any w/our ntu pup. The door got locked accidentally one time. An 1/8" drill bit & a small flat head screwdriver permanently solved the key problem. :)

15. campfreak

campfreak Active Member

I used to have a 4WD van that I was worried about getting stolen. Went camping one time and put "the Club" on it. The very second it clicked into place I realized I didn't have the key to get it off. Luckily I had a hacksaw blade and some vicegrips, and sawed thru the steering wheel. Only took a few minutes. Now everything related to the Pup goes on the TV keyring. door lock, hitch lock, boot lock, bike rack lock, everything. A spare of everything goes on the spare ring for the TV, too. On long trips, the spare TV ring goes with us. I like the idea of putting it in the fridge compartment. Hadn't thought of that....till now. I guess all of us need some goofy thing to happen so we can learn from it.

Greg

16. TigerPaw

TigerPaw Play with Passion Play with Pride...FISH HARD!

I seen that on TV once 30 seconds to beat "The Club" just cut through the steering wheel!!! Too funny [LOL] [LOL] [LOL]