Did You Camp With Your Parents As A Kid ??

Discussion in 'Camping with Kids/Pets' started by themanfromvan, Jan 9, 2005.

1. Blkvoodoo

Blkvoodoo Member

I do remember those, my first experience with those was a family trip to a cabin in Stoney Lake Michigan, the WHOLE family was there, 11 people in a 4 bedroom cabin ( I got to sleep on the side porch, and loved every minute of it ) was kinda tight, but fun all the same. 3 years there, then the folks that owned the cabin sold it ( they were friends of my aunt )
    Again another place I would love to return too.... Stoney Lake Beach 400yds down the hill, Lake Michigan 3/4mile ( ish ) away the other direction. made for great summers.

2. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

BFF's Family had a Pup and they would drop us off at Lake Anna for the weekend or week off school, we were always outdoors playing and actually I still am [8D]
    I remember eating out of the little boxes of cereal too [8D]

3. rambus

rambus Member

I think I grew up at Bass river state forest as a kid. We didn't have a lot of money so camping was our only vacation. I spent my summer weekends learning camping from my father. I have more fnd memories of camping than I could list. That's why I bought my camper I wanted to give to my kids what my father gave to me.

4. camper78

camper78 New Member

Rambus that is the right thing to do your kids will never for get it. [;)]

5. jash1178

jash1178 You can't fix stupid!

Here is me camping at a very young age after returning from the hospital after falling in the campfire:

[​IMG]

6. DuckyNGoose

DuckyNGoose Ducky -N- Goose

My earliest memories are camping. I remember my parents borrowing money to buy a PUP when I was 3 or 4 (1977 or 1978) and spending summer nights with my extended family at the camp grounds until we lost my Grandpa in '83.

My dad lived in a 32' RV in the mid 80's, so that's were I spent every other weekend and 2 weeks a summer for a few years in various locations all over Kansas. He and his wife loved it so much, 20 years later he took early retirement, they sold their 4 bedroom house in the suburbs and bought a brand new RV and Dodge Ram with bed modifications and off they went... for almost 10 years now.

Since I was 16 I've been tent camping in Rocky Mountain Nat'l Park, Glacier Nat'l Park, the Grand Canyon, Lake Powell, Yellowstone, and most often, Lake Perry State Park here in Kansas.

I'll have to dig up some old camping photos too! How fun!

7. DuckyNGoose

DuckyNGoose Ducky -N- Goose

Here we go! Lake Shawnee in Topeka, KS; June 1979. I'm the one holding up the soda pop bottle. My grandpa is in the hat holding my cousin. My mom is in the stylist yellow terry one piece, my dad is the disembodied head above mine. I think the camper belonged to my grandparents.

[​IMG]

8. Wildwoodflower77

Wildwoodflower77 Member

Why yes I did! I think the first time I was just a few months old and tent camped at Watkins Glen in NY. Of course I don't remember that. What I do remember is my mother being in the military and every time we were transferred she would take as much leave as she could and we would camp our way cross country. The first major trip was when we moved from Germany to Hawaii. [8D] We started camping in NY and camped all the way to the other coast using a Golden Eagle Nat'l Park pass. The second time was going from Hawaii to Washington DC and doing the same thing! I have some of the greatest memories of those times (like people asking how we drove our car across the water. Really???) and am proud to say I've been to every state with the exception of Vermont, Maine, New Hampshire and Michigan. I've seen things off the beaten path (like The Corn Palace in Mitchell SD, wagon ruts from the 1800s in Kansas and old ghost towns from the gold and silver mining days that no longer exist) and well known things like King's Canyon Nat'l Park, The Grand Canyon, Mesa Verde, etc. It's a great way to learn about the country and expand your horizons. It's also the sole reason we just bought our PUP! We've taken our 6yr old daughter tent camping locally a few times but look forward to exploring farther regions in harsher climates with comfort and having her start building those memories I so enjoyed. I highly recommend it! Get them used to it young so they're conditioned and grow up loving the outdoors and before they become entrenched in the the "techie" age. lol

9. daveo1289

daveo1289 Well-Known Member

In a short answer, "No". We went to the 1000 Islands in northern NY for one or two weeks each year until I was about 13. The places we went had very rustic cabins. To me, it was camping because of the lack of things. No running water, out-house community showers, no refrigerator and mostly, no electricity in the cabins. I thought it was a great time and learned a lot from those trips.

10. Zander2004

Zander2004 New Member

My first time camping was last month and now im addicted to it. [:D] I never went on any trips when i was younger. I love spending time with my family. We love just playing games and roasting marshmellows. I am hoping to make really delightful memories for my children.

11. Troutfishing

Troutfishing Member

Started out tent camping with parents and two sisters and a younger brother, upgraded to a Rolite camper(hard sided but folded down like a PUP). One experience, was a Missouri camping with rain coming down in buckets and of course the 12v push button went dead and had to crank by hand, soaked to the bone. Another memory and I tease my Mother about this to this day, was a trip to the Southern Rockies(Colorado Springs area), I got sick, but the family left me in the camper (had a neighbor camper check on me)and they went into Colorado Springs to visit the zoo... almost 50 years later still haven't visited the southern Rockies...

12. Gtunks

Gtunks New Member

We did ALOT of camping when I was young. My dad was a teacher,so we had all summer to travel, but no money for hotels. So we would spend the summers camping across the country. Saw camping grounds in most states. Lots of great memories as a youngster. The summer after I graduated we took a nice man's camping/ fishing adventure that will stay with me forever. I am trying to make the same lasting memories with mine.

13. LjohnSaw

LjohnSaw So many fish, so little time...

I come from a large family with 3 boys and 4 girls - I'm the youngest. We had a huge (at the time it seemed) cabin-style tent that fit all 9 of us. My folks had thin air mattresses but the kids just had rocks! We had a 1958 Chevy wagon that my dad made a pantry box that fit the tailgate. The top window/hatch fit down on it. When we made camp, some legs were screwed into the bottom of the pantry (it laid on its back on the tailgate) and was set upright by two people. We had a two burner Coleman stove that, somehow, my mom managed to cook and feed us all with. I remember at night, the Coleman lantern (dual mantel) softly glowing after my father turned it off. We would stare at the faint "owl eyes" until either they faded away or we fell asleep. We had one aborted camping trip to Death Valley. I don't recall the time of year but it was SUPER windy. We had to eat dinner inside the tent and it was getting cold. We packed up and left and heard on the radio that it started to snow! We moved out of So Cal in '71 when I was 11 but I think I remember at least a dozen trips. We must have went camping at least twice a year, a week at a time.

14. Tacoma_Jim

Tacoma_Jim Member

I'm one of six kids and we tent camped every summer in Washington state. Probably the only vacation my parents could afford take us on. :) I was born in June and I'm sure we camped that summer, so I've been camping my entire life. I went back to a couple of the the old haunts and realized how small those camp spots really are. They seemed so big as kids. I'm not sure how 6 kids a dog and a huge tent fit. I only remember a lot of fun, which is why I probably still love camping to this day.

15. BarbaraFaith

BarbaraFaith New Member

Loved read ing everyone's story on when they started camping:

As a kid, our familly, like every other middle class Minnesota family took a week long vacation "up north" "at the lake" which meant a rented cabin on a lake. We would stay in Nissawa, near where my uncle lived. This ended when I was 10, as my uncle (my mom's brother) died in a car accident, and my mother couldn't bear to go up north anymore.

My dad was in printing, and they would close the plant for 2 weeks in July and 2 weeks at Christmastime, and that would be when we would take a vacation. In July we would go away for a week and then do stuff around town the other week. So after my uncle died, my dad bought a tent, and we would go camping the first week. My grandmother had relatives that had a large cattle ranch in South Dakota, and we would drive her there to visit. Sometimes we'd stay on the ranch camping, or we would go to the Black Hills.

We also would take weekend trips, usually within an hour to two from home. My mom hated to camp, and she would complain all weekend, "I don't feel good" "The water is giving me a stomach ache". She was the type of person who couldn't stand to see others having a good time, so on every holiday she would start a fight. But that didn't prevent us from having fun. We would fish, have a campfire, cook out. Since my mom didn't camp, it was up to me to get everything organized, to plan meals, and cook.

I quit camping when I was 16, and had a job. I started camping with friends after highschool. Luckily DH loves camping. His family owned a summer camp in Connecticut on a Lake. We started out tent camping, then purchased a really old pop up that lasted only a few years til the roof leaked and rotted, and then tent camped again. We had a 3 year hiatus where we didn't camp, because of my husband's health, and last Labor Day, we went tent camping and fishing. We found that getting up off an air mattress on the tent floor was a bit difficult for him, so this spring we purchased a brand-new Jayco Sport 8.

16. Ebisaki

Ebisaki Member

When I was little we were stationed in Germany (72-76) and we camped throughout Germany, Spain and Italy. When we got back stateside (Fort Bragg, NC) we camped at White Lake a few times and then stopped. I remember the old green and yellow tent that had the frame on the outside. We all had military grade mummy sleeping bags. Back then we couldn't afford a hotel and if it weren't for camping I would have never seen the German castles, bull fights in Spain or walked through Venice Italy.

It's amazing that I got stationed in Germany (2000 - 2004, USAF) and had young kids. Got to do some of the things I did with my parents, but due to being gone so much (Kuwait, Saudi Arabia and Iraq) we never got to go camping to relive that history.

Now that I am retired from the USAF we do 4 to 6 camping (PUP and tent) trips a year.

17. popup4five

popup4five New Member

I was born May 8th and went on my first camping trip Memorial weekend a few weeks later. My mom loves to tell that story! It was cold and rainy but somehow I ended up with a tick in my ear!!

We continued to camp (sometimes for weeks at a time) all through my childhood. I went camping on my own for the first time at age 16. I'm hoping to give my kids the great memories that I have.

18. jab2181

jab2181 New Member

Growing up we always went camping during the summer at least 4-5 trips to local state parks. We always camped in a 2 bedroom tent and were never fortunate enough to buy a camper. I can remember my dad always packing up out our big Ford van and heading out in the morning. We always did this every summer until I was around 13 then it stopped. Over the last 5 years my DW and I have always went to rv dealers and the shows and dreamed of getting a camper so we could take those multiple trips during the summer and make memories for our children. Last month we bought our first PUP and I have been rebuilding the roof over the last couple of weeks. Our 6 year old daughter can not wait till daddy gets it done and we can go on our first camping trip together. It is the future memories and smiles from our girls that drives me to get it done.

19. NotRufnIt

NotRufnIt Total PuP Noobs! But Gettin' Better!

Funny you should ask! As a kid, we camped ONCE with my parents. My Dad was a finance manager with GMAC. His idea of roughing it was the Sheraton without room service. One summer in the mid 60's my Mom got the great idea of renting a Starcraft to travel from MN to CA. She must have seen the camper at a trade show is all we can figure. No one in our family had EVER camped before but this didn't stop Mom. She outfitted the camper with probably everything Coleman could offer at the time and off we went. This had to be one of the first Starcraft campers, I'm thinking. Dad pulled it with a Vista Cruiser station wagon very similar to what you see on Natl Lampoon's Vacation movie!!!
    For some reason, that PuP shook the hell out of the car the second we hit the highway. Not sure why. All I remember is my Dad getting more and more irritated with the sway and having to wrestle with the steering wheel rather than drive. We stayed in KOA's i think and state park campgrounds but I'm sure Dad was not a "happy camper". By the time we got to CA he had pretty much had it. The final straw was in San Francisco when the rig got hung up at the bottom of a steep hill on one of those crazy streets. He could not budge it and traffic was piling up behind us. At one point, a police officer showed up and began to rant at my Dad about how he was holding up traffic and he needed to get it moved NOW.
    Dad handed him the keys and let him know that if he, the police officer, could do it any quicker or any better to be his guest! At about the same time, some nice trucker showed up with some jacks and between he and Dad were able to free things up. Dad drove immediately to the nearest Starcraft dealer in San Francisco and turned the camper in!
    Yep, just that once with Mom and Dad and the family. LOL!

20. singledad

singledad New Member

I did, I am gonna have to get a slide converted to disk to upload here of me in the boat when I was really young and my dad Apachie folding tent camper. Looking at these sure bring back happy memories.