Did You Camp With Your Parents As A Kid ??

Discussion in 'Camping with Kids/Pets' started by themanfromvan, Jan 9, 2005.

1. jeepjunky

jeepjunky New Member

My mom had a friend that would take me camping every now and again. Then My mom remarried to a "cowboy" who lived in Arizona. We would drive out to the middle of the desert and camp, go deer hunting and stay at "dear camp" with the guys. After there divorse the camping all but ended.
    I tried to camp as much as I could as a young adult, but did very little. Now that I have kids of my own I try to go 2x a summer, but that has been a challenge. With my NTU popup I plan on doing ALOT more camping so my kids can answer this post with fond memories when thy are grown.

2. EHirning

EHirning New Member

Some of my favorite memories of my dad are scout camping with him. I am now creating simliar memories with my kids. Not scouting, but camping!

3. kelbell1

kelbell1 New Member

I camped all the time while growing up. My best memories of being a kid are from camping!!!!!!! we started out in a tent when I was really little about 4,5. Then we had a pop-up for years, we traveled all over New England. Then when i was about 8 we became sesonal at a campground in RI with a big hard top. We stayed there till I was about 15. My god I loved to camp. I LOVE taking my kids camping they are 3 and 7, and hope they can have some great memories like I did growing up.
    I think every kid should get to experience the joy of being outside with their family enjoying nature and sleeping in pop-up!!!!

4. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

I grew up camping with my family starting with an old popup [PU] in the 70's, renting TTs for vacations up and down the eastern seaboard, and then they got into the diesel pusher madness in the 90's. I tent camped [CP]all throughout highschool, college, and beyond. I (74) was married in 2006, and we had our first baby, a DD, in 08. We bought our first popup a few weeks back, and we can't wait to go camping with our daughter [:D]

5. chiefsman

chiefsman New Member

My family did NOT camp when I was young. When I was 9 or 10 years old, a kid down the street gave me a box full of old Boy Scout magazines and some of the articles told how to make camping gear from household items. I made a stove from a couple of tin cans, a canteen from a Listerine bottle and made a sleeping bag from two blankets. Dad's canvas drop cloth was dragged from the garage to the clothesline and I had my tent. It was only our backyard, but in my imagination it was Yellowstone National Park.

6. ND Mike

ND Mike Member

The closest I ever came to "camping" when I was little, was the night my siblings made a tent out of blankets over the clothesline, said I could camp out with them, then left me in the tent alone for the whole night after I fell asleep. I always wanted to go, but it just never happened. After we were married for 6? years with our son around 2 yrs, I mentioned to my husband that I would like to try camping sometime, in a tent. He had tent camped as a child, (a very old canvas army tent) and weathered some awful storms in it. About a week later, he found our first pup and we have never looked back. He was adament about having a camper, not a tent. It has been the most fun we have had as a family, we have such great stories that we retell all winter. My kids are now 13 and 9, and I tell them if they would like to invite friends to come along they can, but our kids tell me they don't want their friends around, they just want to hang out with me and Dad. Wow, that was the nicest compliment from them. I guess we are still "cool". Camping has been a wonderful pastime for us and I hope that our kids will continue to enjoy it when they are grown and on their own.

7. Carefree Camper

Carefree Camper Bucks County, PA

Oh, yeah! I went camping all the time as a kid (60's-early 70's) , with mom & dad & brother & sister, church groups, and scouting. We were regulars at Sulphur, OK and Lake Murray and Lake Texoma. We were from Oklahoma and had our most memorable camping in Colorado, but Eastern Oklahoma was pretty good, too. Robbers Cave and the Broken Bow, Beaver's Bend area. We had a large Surplus City in town, and we got all our supplies from them at really cheap prices, but eventually "upgraded" to a regular cabin style tent with a floor in it. The floor was a modern innovation to us. We even ate some food in green cans (military rations), at times, and I so remember carrying around the heavy ammo boxes with gear and food in them. We also went cabin camping.

I never got to camp in a trailer until after I was grown, but I thoroughly enjoyed the comfortable bed, and getting to cook out of the wind and rain when the weather was bad. I told my husband I couldn't stand it anymore and I forced him to agree to having a pop-up camper this past year. The kids could not be happier and I get to have my memories old and new of many wonderful experiences in the wild and not so wild out-of-doors. My husband likes it, too, but not as much as I do. He only camped a few times as a kid with his family, but he camped some with scoust.

8. gkosel

gkosel Fargo, ND (Next Trip - ?)

I camp much more with my parents now than I did when I was a kid.

We had a tent when we were kids, but I don't remember setting it up anywhere other than our back yard.

Now, my whole family (brother and I have PUPs, sister Tents) gets together a couple of times a year for family campouts. My parents usually stay in our PUP and my aunt often comes and stays in my brother's PUP. Neither would probably come if we were tenting.

My Dad has actually even been talking about getting a van type camper (I call Vana-Bago - anyone watch the Bill Engvall show).

Better late than never right?

9. Lifetimer

Lifetimer New Member

I don’t remember a time of not camping. I have pictures of me as a baby camping in the Keys ( we lived in Miami). My mother would take the PU they had on Friday morning drive to the Keys, set up with my two older brothers and I and my father would join us when he got off of work. Sometimes we would stay out for a couple of weeks with Dad coming out on the weekends. Every Easter we would go to this place called “Fish Eating Creek” in mid Florida it was a extended family affair.

I remember we even stayed an entire summer with 3 kids, Dad working and mom taking care of us in the PU in Fernandina Beach. It was such a family bonding thing.

10. craigbaker

craigbaker Member

We started out tent camping, then my dad got tired of sleeping on the hard ground and/or air mattress problems so he bought their first pup, not sure what brand. In 1986 he went out and bought a really nice Jayco (range/oven, heater, toilet, fridge/freezer, hot/cold water, ceiling mounted cupboards, wardrobe, etc). We used that a bit but my brothers got out of camping.

I started tent camping when I got my driver's license in the early 90's, by then the Jayco had been sold. I started just by going with friends on weekend jaunts. When I met my wife we started doing some tent camping, and did a little as the boys were young. Then bought the pup for ease of setup/use and the wife likes having the heater.

I also was one of those Cub/Boy Scouts for many years. All good memories, just trying to build the same for my boys now.

11. KSKids

KSKids New Member

Oh, man....did I ever! LOL! I was a Girl Scout for 10 years so camping wasn't new, but my parents bought a pup when I was about 8 or 9....I can't remember. Used to do lots of "driveway camping!" We lived on a lake so camping AT a lake wasn't really all that exciting at the time...but we'd occasionally head for a lake for the weekend. The biggest trip I remember was a trip from KS to Chicago, with a loop through Iowa on the way back....took 2 weeks. Saw the Sears tower, visited family, stayed in countless KOA camps, stopped in Missouri and saw the Mark Twain Museum, almost got struck by lightning driving down the highway, drove through a tornadic storm in Iowa (it was noon and pitch black outside...I've never been more scared in my life), a lift cable busted so we held up that corner of the camper with a broomstick...my dad did that for years after that....just took forever to get it fixed. We camped a few times after that....drove 5 hours to Grandma's house and all of us kids stayed in the pup in the backyard...but that trip to Chicago stands out.

But my fun in the pup as a kid prompted me to talk hubby into a camper for us. We had a blast our first summer in it last year and are chomping at the bit to get out this spring...

Thanks for the memories!

12. Breadbox

Breadbox Volvo powered

My wife spent most of her summers and many weekends the rest of the year in a 25' Airstream with her parents. She would come home from school on Friday and see the trailer hooked up and know it would be a fun weekend. I've been tent camping at car races since I was 4, starting at Watkins Glen, NY, and visiting tracks all over the Northeast. I've also been to the Experimental Aircraft Association Convention and Fly-In at Oshkosh, WI a few times. Now we're continuing the tradition. We have a Cub Scout and 2 Girl Scouts and have been tent camping at least once a year for the last 3 years. The PUP will be for the non-Scout related trips.

13. astronomynv

astronomynv 98 Starcraft Constellation 1021 TV 93 Ford Bronco

My parents never camped. When ever we went on vacation we always moteled it. As a kid a had a tent set up in the backyard and I would spends a lot nights there. My wife on the other hand spent every summer the entire summer camping in Maine. So for the last 20 plus years my wife and I have camp from Maine to Virgina in a tent. Now we live on the west coast and we've camped through WA, OR, CA, and NV. After being off from camping for the last 3 years we just bought a pop last year and are taking our kids camping and I'm happy to say they are enjoying it.

14. HappyCamperTX

HappyCamperTX Camping in and around Central Texas!

I definitely grew up in a camping family. When I wasn't camping with the Boy Scouts, we camped quite often. I grew up with PUPs most my life until my dad decided to move into a travel trailer. I continued to camp in tents for years and years. In fact, last year my wife and I went backpacking in the New Mexico mountains. I thought I would always be a tent camper until a few months ago when my body refused to fall asleep on the ground. Hence last month's purchase of a PUP. [:)C]

15. rustyinky

rustyinky New Member

Never once camped with the family, we stayed in hotels and my parents had a fancy beach house that rarely got used. In 2005 they sold their place at the beach and a few months later bought a run down trailer on a lake close to home. They are more in love with their ugly 70's model trailer than they ever were with that beach house. This has led to everyone in the family wanting or buying campers because the trailer has no room, lol! It has been a great thing and is what got me into my PUP. It's odd how things work sometimes. Now if they only had a 30 watt outlet for my airconditioner (I need to read up on how I can make that work).

16. boombalaty

boombalaty New Member

I remember attending many bluegrass music festivals and camping. Never wanted to go back then but we always had fun. I have memories of fishing and building campfires so big we smoked out the whole park and got in trouble with camp host lol!

17. dutchovendiva

dutchovendiva New Member

We camped almost year round as a kid (taking off Nov-Feb). I have so many amazing memories. We starting camping with our little guy when he was 8 months old and that is when we purchased the pop up. Here is a picture from this past weekend hiking with grandpa:

[​IMG]

18. Oski88

Oski88 New Member

Yes. Over and above the regular stuff, one year we took the entire summer and drove in our truck and camper virtually all over the US. Saw all of the country except the NE. Not a bad gig for a 7 or 8 year old if you can get it.

19. TKnecht

TKnecht "Disposable thumbs make me specialer than most peo

No, we never camped as a family. BUT, my dad was a big-time Depression-era Boy Scout, and he started me backpacking when I was 11. I've never stopped, and I've added campground camping and PUPping to the repertoire.

Much later -- in the 70s -- they bought a slide-in (pickup) camper and used that pretty hard for about a decade, both for local trips solo and with groups, and to visit relatives in Florida. It was, as I recall, a Franklin, and exceptionally designed and well-made. My dad still reminisces about it.

20. Cindy F

Cindy F New Member

Our dad was in the AF and we were stationed in CA, AZ, and ND while all of our extended family lived on the east coast so we camped quite a bit! 30 days all the way across country every year in either the travel trailer we had for awhile or the VW popup camper- yep- we got "our kicks on route 66" MANY times. [LOL]

Our parents also thought it was important to take us to see whatever was in driving distance wherever we were stationed-so lots of camping around the Grand Canyon, Petrified Forest, Old Tucson, Carlsbad Caverns, San Diego Zoo, Disneyland, Mount Rushmore, etc.

Traveling and camping with the family are my very best memories growing up. even though we're grown and have campers of our own, I wish mom were still here to camp with us.