Did you camp with your parents as a kid?

Discussion in 'Camping with Kids/Pets' started by sequoyausa, Apr 13, 2006.

1. Dan from Troup

Dan from Troup Well-Known Member

With a family of 5 kids, our summer vacations were always doing camping trips at State parks. I can remember the heavy brown canvas wall tent that you didn't dare touching in a rain. Later my Dad got a heavy duty sewing machine and made our tents like today's light weight nylon tents. I was in the scouts from Cub thru Explorer and went to Boy Scout camp in the summer. My buddies and I also tent camped as youngsters as we'd load up our backpacks and take off on our bicycles and ride far from home for the weekend (at 12 years old).

Later my Dad (Marine Corps Drill Sargent) started my brother and I on winter camping trips in the Pocono Mtns. in PA and later into the Adirondack Mtns. in upperstate NY near Lake Placid (Mt. Marcy). We'd snow shoe in and backpacked up. Later we advanced to the White Mtns. and climbed Mt. Washington numerous times in the winter. We'd backpack in at Pinkham Notch and camp at the base of the Big Headwall and next day climb over Lions Head and Alpine Gardens always summiting every trip. This was in the middle of the winter as we roped off on our summit climbs and wore crampons and used ice axes. Hard core stuff.

As an adult, I've continued this same passion and had been a very active backpacker until I discovered water sports and morphed over to wilderness paddling/camping with canoe/kayak. I've done numerous week long hundred mile paddle trips all over the country and 2 sea kayak expeditions, self guided, to Alaska. One trip was 9 days out and the other 2 weeks.

These days you'll find me on my favorite mountain lake in SE Oklahoma at Broken Bow Lake. This is an Army Corps of Engineer lake built on the Mtn. Fork River. I'll usually go up for 4 days and launch my canoe with camping gear and food and paddle in to a wilderness camp spot (no designated) and set up base camp and go hiking and do day paddles. Sometimes it's my wife going, a buddy or I'll go solo but always have my Dutch Oven.

And so, that brings us to now with my new to me PUP camper. Deb was diagnosed with breast cancer last November and has had chemo and surgery a week ago. Her days backpacking are probably over and wilderness camping via canoe may be on hold for awhile too. I want to get her out camping again but in an easier way for her as the PUP feels like a good fit for us. We've only had our PUP a few weeks now and haven't had it out as her recovery from surgery continues and has radiation next and then breast reconstruction. Looks like late Fall or next winter we'll get the new camper out. Meanwhile going thru my 04 Starcraft, doing the maintenance and cleaning it up and learning more about this new way of camping for us.

Redbird234 and Rik Peery like this.
  2. Tylers88

Tylers88 New Member

Parents were divorced and my dad would take me camping to spend time doing something different than my mom and stepdad and still get to be outside, stepdad is a hunter so we had that for a father/son activity. Camping is one of the few good memories with my dad and was one of the things I missed most doing with him when he got with my stepmom and we started to part ways, shes an absolute b**** and his entire family finally got to see her true colors when my dad passed away last year.

3. PaThacker

PaThacker Well-Known Member

I started camping at 2 years old in 1976 in a Cox Camper Pup. 1980
    Class C and took a huge life changing trip to Point Sebago Maine. Crazy uncle camping with my cousin through high school. Then came diesel pushers and finally a prevost with my parents. Tent camped hardcore age 10 to mid 20s. Canoe camped 80s and current. Backpack camping October to December past 20 years. I had six of my own campers during marriage, kids, divorce and redefining in past 15 years, two pups, 3 trailers, and a class c.

4. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

Every summer, from Memorial Day to Labor Day with 2 weeks in between for the vacation. Fond memories for sure

5. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

No ..... they sent me to summer camp

6. Rik Peery

Rik Peery Well-Known Member

Yepper, sometimes went for 2 weeks at a time as a kid w/ parents, river banks/lakes/parks, been at it nigh 65 years & still tent camp on occasion solo, just me & a yak...Dad passed away in 2006; up until 2005, we'd take his tent/gear/boat up to a state park, set his stuff up & then come back in a few days to a week & bring it all back...crap load of memories I passed onto my son; he's "camping" w/ Uncle Sammy (Army) now, loved to hit the mountains solo or w/ a couple of pals when he was in high school... IMG_3282.JPG

7. SharBear

SharBear New Member

I think that taking you kids camping is a great learning experience in life. They learn so much more than just about camping and nature.

Rik Peery likes this.
  8. Horby

Horby Member

I grew up camping in a Winnebago. We'd go all summer long 2 weeks on 1week off and take another couple 2week trips during Christmas and Easter break. I've always loved it and now that i have a family we are now on our 3rd unit. First a pop up then a TT and back to a pop up.

9. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

When we were little, we went camping with my parents and their friends or my dad's relatives. I don't remember a whole lot - first it was a canvas tent, and then a TT and finally a truck camper. Loved the truck camper. By that time, we were at the age to get into 4-H. Since we were 3 girls, my dad didn't really enjoy camping with us - he'd rather go fishing with his buddies. And he got into dog shows. My mom took that opportunity to acknowledge she hated camping and would rather stay home.

So from 10 on, we went to 4-H camp 2 weeks every year.

In 5th and 6th grade, I went "backpacking" with the class. Two of the teachers were husband and wife and camped a lot. So, we would do fund raisers all year and do a weekend trip with them. We took the bus to the Golden Gate and then hiked down the hill to Cirby Cove and set up camp. No tents, just sleeping bags. We had groups of three or four kids that would cook small meals together. Was fun, but the hike back up the hill was torture.

Did some tent camping in early adulthood. Then got a truck and slept in the back of it. Then stopped for years.

10. Fuzzy Bear

Fuzzy Bear Active Member

From what I was told, my first camping trip I was 11 weeks old and we camped in an old canvas tent with a crib in the corner. Growing up we had all kinds of campers, tents, popups, piggyback campers, travel trailers. The ones I remember most were the small TT's, we had 3 or 4 of Shastas and a Scotty. My dad used to love to buy older campers, fix them up, use them for a year then get another fixer upper. The majority of my memories from the early years up until about the age of 13 are mostly associated with camping. My father was crazy about it. I can barely remember a weekend as a kid not heading out somewhere starting in early March through November (in all kinds of New England weather). He passed away when I was 13 and I found out then the only reason my mom camped was because it made dad so happy. So between the ages of 13 and 16 I stopped camping. Never realized how much I missed it until I got my drivers license, and one weekend some friends and I decided to buy a tent and go camping. I was once again hooked and from then on no matter my circumstances I always got away at least a couple times a year. Sometimes with friends, sometimes by myself. Luckily my DW also enjoyed camping as a kid so it's something we get to share. It's funny, some nights, sitting by the campfire, I look up at the stars and think how much my dad would be happy that one of his kids is carrying on the tradition of camping.

neighbormike and Redbird234 like this.
  11. Lfamily

Lfamily Active Member

I camped with my parents twice, once in a truck camper and once in a popup. Both times were a week in FL to see my Aunt/Uncle.

Growing up in SC we were 20 min to the Santee river and about an hour to Myrtle Beach. Tons of Saturday day trips and rented a beach house for longer vacations.

My grandparents were the campers, always tents and they just loved the people they met. I'm the late bloomer, just bought a pop-up and started camping this summer. Better late than never lol.

12. Muller 5

Muller 5 Active Member

My parents grew up camping, so I grew up camping. My first memory in a tent was a rainstorm in the backyard of my grandparents cabin. I had snuggled into a corner at some point in the night and woke up in a waist deep puddle. That was 33 years ago. The most recent camping trip with my parents was Yellowstone 5 years ago. All but one in the 90's were tent trips.

13. FARfetched

FARfetched Well-Known Member

We went (as they say in Michigan) "up north" on several occasions for camping trips.

I remember one time, Dad borrowed his dad's TT and tow car (a Ford sedan, maybe an LTD? it was 1973-ish), and something went wrong with the brakes. I can't remember if it was the trailer, or if the car's brakes failed and we had to use the trailer brakes to stop… howe'er it was, we got to the campsite and Dad spent the first day getting the car dealt with. My great-grandmother lived in that TT in later years, hooked up to Grandpa's house. It gave her some independence with that "we're right there if we're needed" security.

Another time, the parental units rented a PUP. Seems like there were two families involved, because my brother & I were banished to a tent. It got really cold the last night out, and (instead of letting us in) Dad slept with us, and brought some kind of propane heater along.

For me, meeting girls was a big part of these campouts. The TT trip I remember primarily for closing the screen door on my fingertip and peeling a big layer of skin off it. [:O]

neighbormike likes this.
  14. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

My family camped when I was young, we had no tents etc and slept beside the fire on quilts. Mostly tho I camped with my dad and younger brother, we ate what we killed, first gun was a single shot 22, and dad would count my shells before we hit the woods, i was expected to have something for every shot, next was a 20 ga shotgun (same counts here )
    We slept on the ground beside the fire, and dad cooked on an open fire with a cast iron skillet. if it started raining we slept under the suburban if it got worse we slept inside laying on carpenter tools, we drank river water and swam in the river no matter how cold it was
    we cut our wood (dead trees) for the fire locally where ever we were using an axe.
    I bought my first tent while in H.S. it was an surplus army tent and I still used the pallet
    to sleep on. Those were great days and we really enjoyed camping and spending time together also we learned the way of the woods and swamps.

neighbormike likes this.
  15. MattF350

MattF350 Member

Yes. I did alot of camping. Mostly tent and pup camping. Believe we had a Jayco. Id also sleep in the back of my moms old 97 Explorer. I loved that thing!

We would mainly go to campgrounds that could keep kids busy with other kids or activities. But, it was always fun to get out for the weekend away from home.

Heeck, we lived in the country and would sleep out on the deck for fun!

neighbormike likes this.
  16. JunieB

JunieB Active Member

No camping growing up. My Mom had grown up with no running water, no electricity, & a wood stove for heat in the Hills. That was viewed as deprivation, not fun. She liked her luxury. Dad still tells of his first visit to her "folks' home" when he was given a washcloth, told to go out to the creek to wash up. The women used some sort of bowl or tub nearer the house.
    I first camped with a few friends from work. One of the first times was a cold, rainy spring trip to Arkansas, spent in a leaky canvas boy scout tent and canoeing river rapids, when I had never canoed before. It's almost a miracle I tried camping again. I always did like the out of doors & trees and animals, better than indoors, for play. I knew how to use an outhouse, from Grandma's place, didn't bother me. It took development of more modern gear, though, and the confidence that can bring (plus staying DRY) to get me into camping again.

17. brwarrior

brwarrior Active Member

I remember camping once with my parents when I was probably 8 once summer. There's pictures of us camping when I was a toddler so we did some. I got into camping again in 2003 when my friends got me into ATVing. Then my best friend invited my brother and I to go camping with him, his wife who was probably 6 months along with #2 and #1. Had a nice time. Funny enough, the campground was the one from the once trip I remember. Best friend and I tried to get out once or twice a year up in the forest. Now he leg bailed out to WY so we no plan to meet up once a year somewhere "between" us.

18. BillyMc

BillyMc Well-Known Member

Yes, my parents had a slide in camper. My older brother usually choose to sleep on the seat of the truck, because with six of us it was crowded in the camper. My mom refuses to sleep in anything that has fabric walls. We were talking about our camping trips last year and plans for next season and Mom asked if we had room for one more. I said sure, but our camper has cloth walls. That was the end of that.

neighbormike likes this.
  19. JWeible

JWeible Active Member

Only a few times with my mom before she met my stepdad. My aunt and uncle camped regularly with my cousins and we joined them a few times. Camped more as a young adult with my boyfriend at the time.
    Hubby and I took our first camping trip together when our youngest was 7 months old. We borrowed my uncles pup and had no idea how to use the heater when it, unexpectedly, got below freezing in early September.
    The following spring we bought a TT because we didn’t want to freeze again. We used it 4 times throughout that summer but I always felt to enclosed and boxed in. So, we sold it.
    For the next 5 years we borrowed my uncles pup several times per summer. We pick up our own brand new pup next weekend! Can’t wait until it’s warm enough to camp. Currently -7 here in Iowa with a feels like temp of -15

neighbormike likes this.
  20. Dave Brick

Dave Brick El Cheapo Family Camper

No, my Dad hated camping. Actually, the closest we got was staying in a cabin in Allegany State Park, NY when I was 3. Family legend says that I cried because I didn't "kill a bear when I was only three", like the old Davy Crockett song. (my name is Dave, and I fancied myself a tough guy, just like Davy Crockett). Apparently I carried a big stick around to dispatch the bear I was looking for.

I always craved being outdoors though. I read books and magazines about camping, fishing, hunting, and wilderness survival, edible plants, etc. I backpacked a lot, then started technical rock climbing, which I always preferred in wilderness areas.

Once I got married and started having kids, things have gotten tamer. I carried my son up two Adirondack High Peaks in a child carrier. He is now 6'2" and 215 pounds and is probably more capable of carrying ME. He first learned to crawl in a tent.

Last trip in a tent, now with 3 kids, we got rained on badly, and my DW said, " if we are going to continue doing this, we have to get off the ground." Enter the world of the PUP. I hope my kids carry on my love of the outdoors.

neighbormike likes this.