Different Amperage - Grand River 2021 8.5GSR (Forest River)

Discussion in 'First Time & New Camper Owners' started by Gary Tracey Camping, Sep 16, 2021.

1. Gary Tracey Camping

Gary Tracey Camping New Member

Hey Everyone,

I am going to the campground for first time at this location and they only have 50amps. Now I was able to plug into a 15amp no problem to last campground which was first time ever with popup trailer. Can I use my plug that is on my trailor and just plug in at the 50amps? If I need adapter, not sure which one I would need?

2. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Are you sure they ONLY have 50 A? If so you need an adapter with a 50 A. male end to a female end that fits your camper plug.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  3. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

You should call the CG before you buy an adaptor. Every campground I've been to has a 20 amp plug in on the pole with the 50 amp. I've heard stories of CGs that only have 50 amp plugs, but I've never seen one.

kcsa75 likes this.
  4. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Usually 50 amp sites will have a power tower with a 50 amp outlet, a 30 amp outlet, and a 20 amp outlet. All 110 VAC.

Screen Shot 2021-09-17 at 6.27.54 AM.png
    50amp--------30amp------20amp

kitphantom and Sjm9911 like this.
  5. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

And a 15 amp plug will fit into a 20 amp outlet

Sjm9911 likes this.
  6. eoleson1

eoleson1 Well-Known Member

The 50 amp plug is 220 volt (2 - 110 legs)

7. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Just buy a 50amp to 30amp adapter dog bone. They are cheap and well worth it.. I bought mine years ago after ending up on a site in a Provincial Park that was 50 and 15 amps only. I borrowed an adapter from a camping friend who was also in the park that weekend.

I have also used it in a few other campgrounds that 2 sites share a power post, and the posts have a 50, 30 and 2x15 amp receptacles.. typically these are first come first serve for the main power..

A lot of parks and campgrounds are upgrading the power posts, so it is possible that there is only 50 and 15 amp service at the post.. or it could be like the second post I mentioned above where it is shared between 2 sites and its fcfs for the 30amp plug...

Sjm9911 likes this.
  8. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  9. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

Most campgrounds have 20 and 30 amp if they have 50 amp, but having a collection of adapters is handy. Once in a while, they are needed. I needed one when I had our first, 15 amp popup, somewhere on a long trip east. I've had a campsite here in NM that only had 20 and 50 amp, which seems sort of odd. I was happy to have my own dog bone adapter, although the campground did have a loaner. (Once in a while, the 30 amp outlet is more worn than the 50 amp, since it sees more use in many places, so having the option to use the dog bone is good.)

Sjm9911 likes this.
  10. tfischer

tfischer A bad day camping beats a good day at the office

The handful of campgrounds I've camped at that have 50A service also have 30A and 15/20A plugs. I'm told there are some out there that ONLY have 50A plugs, but I'm guessing these are RV Park(ing-lot) style ones that cater to the huge Class A's almost exclusively.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  11. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Un-Supported Member

You might as well buy all the adapters, I've had to use all of mine at one time or another.

theseus, Sjm9911 and kitphantom like this.
  12. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07SDL3VKR?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title&th=1
    Like stated, you need one of each just in case. And then maybe a 30 amp extension cord in case you dont reach the power post. I have never sceen a just 50 amp service. Some say they have, but i have not. They usally have 50 /30 /20 amp. Or 30 / 20 amp. Or just 20 amp. But you never kbow when something can be damaged, and you may need the adapters.

kitphantom likes this.
  13. Gary Tracey Camping

Thank you everyone. We got our trailer after almost 2 months of bullcrap with dealer. We are going up to winterize and will check then. This way I will know. The trailer isn't moving to any other campgrounds. This one has only 50amps. I already have adapter to go from 15amp tto 3 prong outlet (like a house plug). So can get the adapter(s) between now and spring. I can't wait to go camping again. I want to actually stay for weekend (campground closes week after) but, wife wants to wait until spring.

Thanks again,
    Gary

14. Gary Tracey Camping

For Ken Roy

They aren't like that at this one (wasn't at first place we went).

15. Gary Tracey Camping

Thanks to everyone replying and giving their added thoughts to this situation.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2021
  16. Gary Tracey Camping

For Ken Roy
    About photo of electrical box....
    They aren't like that at this one (wasn't at first place we went). The picture I attached is what they look like. Just one plug, not one with different amperage. Thanks everyone for replies. I will post a final one when I am at CG next week.

Attached Files:

17. tfischer

tfischer A bad day camping beats a good day at the office

I can't imagine what kind of RV park has only 50A outlets. Actually I can imagine it, and it scares me lol. I'm guessing lots of concrete, maybe sheds for each site, lol.

Raycfe and jmkay1 like this.
  18. davido

davido Well-Known Member

Assumptions:

Your trailer has a 30A input. You already have a 30A shore power cord.
    The CG you are visiting only has 50A (Highly unlikely. Call them and ask to be sure).

If those assumptions are correct, you need an adapter that has a male 50A connector at one end and a female 30A connector at the other. That's it. Get that and you're done. Walmart should have them.

If your trailer only has a 15/20A (standard household) plug, then you'll need an adapter that steps down from a 50A circuit to 15/20A, or two adapters: 50A to 30A, and 30A to 15/20A.

But I would check with the campground. I've never seen one that only has 50A at the pedestal. All the ones I've seen either have 30A + 15/20A, or 50A + 30A + 15/20A, or occasionally 50A + 15/20A. My friend owns a camping property that has only a single 30A outlet on the pedestal. I keep needing to ask him if he would mind if I upgrade his pedestal for him to dual 30A or 30A + 15/20A so that when I'm there at the same time as him I have somewhere to plug in.

19. Gary Tracey Camping

Funny how people don't believe me... don't you think we asked...lol I just didn't fall of a turnip truck...lol

Tfischer - The KOA campground is pretty cool. Here are a couple of pictures to show what I mean. There is even secluded lake. They are very nice and so happy we have this place and able to store our trailer there. Next week doing the winterizing, already paid for storing it. We can't have it here, no room or extra parking spots!

We know the manager Davido, already been there to bring trailer thought we would get one more weekend but, too busy and didn't get trailer until end of August after almost 2 months of screwing around with dealer which is ok, they gave us a better trailer!

Thanks for replying.

Attached Files:

20. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

The picture of the pedestal with the circle around it shows nothing. Need to see it opened up close.