Different octane when towing?

Discussion in 'Tow Vehicles, Hitch & Towing' started by yarzy, Jun 27, 2013.

1. yarzy

yarzy Member

Hi Everyone,

I wanted to know if I should be using a higher octane fuel when towing. If so, just wondering why and do I need 93 or will 89 be fine?

Thanks!

2. badgamuss

badgamuss Member

I don't. No reason that I can think of.

3. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

NO

4. steved

steved New Member

I think the answer is it depends...if the TV is pinging with lower octane, it will not hurt to run a higher octane.

My truck has a surge at low RPM while towing, and it is annoying with 87. If I run 89, the surging quits; 87 runs fine when unloaded.

5. SteveM_CT

SteveM_CT Member

If you are towing with a Porsche, then you probably need higher octane (but then, you would already be using it). :)

Other than that, listen to the engine. If it pings, it can help, if not, then you are probably throwing money out the tailpipe.

My Subaru occasionally pings when I accelerate, but only for a split second, so I run regular. The engine management system retards the engine so that it can handle the lower octane. I could get more power with higher octane, but I have enough power now and not enough money to fill it up with super.

Steve

6. ChocoChock01

ChocoChock01 On the road aagaain See Rallies below;

Other factors are Altitude and High Temperatures.

Can also mix octane, so use lower octane for flatter portion of journey and top off once you begin the altitude climb.

7. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

waste of money

8. ChocoChock01

depends on the climb, above 7000' even my 5.3 L needs a little help.

9. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper Home is where you park it!

Just wondering why you are using 89 instead of 87 octane?

The question also depends on the vehicle and motor as well as where you are towing.
    The ecoboost engines from Ford will adjust to the octane and deliver more power depending on the octane.
    Most engines don't.
    If you are that close when towing, then you need a better TV.

From the Ford owner's manual:

3.5L V6 EcoBoost engine
    “Regular” unleaded gasoline with a pump (R+M)/2 octane rating of 87 is
    recommended. Some stations offer fuels posted as “Regular” with an
    octane rating below 87, particularly in high altitude areas. Fuels with
    octane levels below 87 are not recommended. Premium fuel will provide
    improved performance and is recommended for severe duty usage such
    as trailer tow.

Note : Pups are not severe service......

10. ChocoChock01

we have been towing at some extreme conditions such as 105 deg. in Mojave and 9000' in Sierra Nevadas.

Depends.

11. joet

joet Well-Known Member

89 is not a waste of money.. I am forced to run at least 89. My 5.3 has a deading spark knock on 87. Everything depends on the vehicle. There isnt a rite or wrong answer.

12. yetavon

yetavon everything is better around a campfire.

It depends on your TV....if you hear the pinging then its a yes for sure...
    You can compare grades by running to close to empty, add 5 or 10 gallons of 93 and when you get back to about empty check you mileage, and how the TV drove. another thing to try is run PURE gas and not this corn fuel, you may be very surprised...keep in mind that terrain will effect you mileage so try to keep it similar on your test runs.
    Personally in my V6 Dakota the gas doesn't make a difference, but adding a good fuel treatment cleaner will add 1-2 MPG, an extra 20-40 miles for $4

13. candleems

candleems Member

What does the owner's manual say? Mine says to use 89 for towing. Van runs better on it when towing too. If I'm heading north and doing some mountains, I might even do 93. Depends. I also have a 9 year old minivan.

14. Storm Trooper

Storm Trooper Home is where you park it!

Joet,
    I didn't say running 89 was a waste of money. It's not, if your vehicle will knock on 87 octane and only run 89 or better.
    Some people run a higher octane because they think it's better for the motor.
    Most modern gas has the same additives from 87 through 93 octane. The oil companies want you to think otherwise.
    If the vehicle doesn't knock on 87, then you a probably giving the oil companies more money than you have to running a higher octane.
    It depends on the vehicle and motor. And very few motors will take advantage of the higher octane to make it worthwhile.
    My 5.4L Ford runs just fine on 87. I have to continually watch the speed because it wants to run up to 70 mph and more with that 8 foot wall behind me.
    At 10 to 12 mpg pulling the HTT, since it runs with plenty of power and no knocking, I certainly don't want to give the oil companies an extra penny.

To the OP, how about putting your TV in the sig line along with your pup.

15. Tribble

Tribble New Member

My Honda Ridgeline states specifically to use higher octane fuel when towing heavy loads.

This is typically only effective when your vehicle has computer controlled Variable timing. Examples of this are VTEC, and Ecoboost.

With the ability to adjust the timing on the fly, the engine can boost power in certain RPM ranges.

Using higher octane fuel will allow the engine to use a greater range of adjustment (ie More power) as higher octane fuel is less likely to detonate prior to being ignited by the spark plug. Sometimes this is also referred to as "knock".

There is a sensor that detects premature eja.. err detonation, and the computer will adjust the timing until it detects a "knock" then dial it back a bit. Higher octane fuel will allow the engine to be adjusted further before a "knock" is detected, therefore producing more power in this type of engine.

16. BushwickBill

BushwickBill Member

I only run 91 in my truck which is highest readily available octane around here but I have a turbo with engine work done that requires it.on a Toyota sienna probably not much difference I do think you should track mileage on the different octanes you my find higher octane fuel is cheaper than lower if you get better gas mileage but you have to do the math how much $ per mile

17. joet

joet Well-Known Member

18. vagov

vagov Well-Known Member

i said it was a waste of money, but not if your vehicle runs better on the higher octane, but for the same reason stormtrooper stated. that the oil companies want you to think it,s better for your motor. i did the same thing with my motorcycle , always ran high 93 octane just to later find out that my bike runs just as good if not better on 87. actually later found out its actually recommended.

19. BushwickBill

BushwickBill Member

I wish I could get 93 but because of our elevation we get away with lower octanes normal choices are 85 87 91 some stations have 93 but very few

20. Talonman

Talonman New Member

Both my TV's have been tuned to run on 91 so they have the map to actually use the better fuel, if your ECU only has maps for 87 then the high octane is wasted unless you are getting ping.