Dilemma

Discussion in 'The Other Stuff' started by Muller 5, Jun 6, 2019.

1. Muller 5

Muller 5 Active Member

I have a job opportunity that came up. It's better for the family and better hours and pay. I have a high likelihood of getting this job if I can start right away. However, I would have to cancel our big vacation to Oregon. If I took the trip, the job might be filled before I get back. What would you do?

2. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

You can always go to Oregon.

3. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

Hmm, a trip that can be rescheduled or a better life me and my family? Seems like a no brainer. I would accept and explain that you have a trip planned and paid for and see if they could accommodate.
    Also, it's probably best to have your family help guide the decision, not a lot of strangers on the internet.

CarlaCB, kcsa75 and Milemaker13 like this.
  4. Muller 5

Muller 5 Active Member

Yeah, but my brother is getting married. That's why we are going now.

CarlaCB likes this.
  5. Muller 5

Muller 5 Active Member

My whole family says it's up to me.

CarlaCB likes this.
  6. nineoaks2004

nineoaks2004 Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday

Your family is correct, the decision is up to you. It sounds like the family understands your problem and can / will be with you either way you decide.
    Good Luck in making the decision and happy Camping

Last edited: Jun 7, 2019
  7. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately in life there are hard decitions. And this is one of them. Better for the familly is good for all. If its much better then it may be worth talking to your brother or find a way to attend that is shorter. So, maybe flying in for the day. While more expensive up front it may be more rewarding in the future.

neighbormike and Milemaker13 like this.
  8. Tulip

Tulip Active Member

Can you accept and negotiate? Depending on the job there may be some options - ie you drive out together and then you fly back and your partner does the rest of the trip home? Or maybe there's an option for some holiday time to take a shorter family trip now and a longer one later?
    Good luck!

neighbormike likes this.
  9. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

Ask the new boss. Let them know you can start right away but have a pre-planned trip scheduled. Ask if they can accommodate you for the trip.

If they say yes, then everything is great.

If they say no, then take the job and cancel the trip. With a job with better hours and pay, you can have more opportunities for future trips. And I'm sure your brother would understand.

Orchid, neighbormike and kcsa75 like this.
  10. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I’m with toedtoes. Take the job but see if they could compromise with you regarding your trip. Explain it’s for your brothers wedding. My boss was accommodating for one new hire we had come in, who had previous vacation plans. The new hire had plans for a month long vacation but my boss comprised with 2 weeks instead. New hire accepted and just cut her trip a tad short. A good job doesn’t land in someone’s lap all the time particularly with better pay and hours. So best to accept it when you can.

11. generok

generok Well-Known Member

We do this all the time for new hires. We understand folks have summer plans, and a wedding is normally not a big issue. I'd take the job offer and then discuss your pre-arranged plans and see what they say. You may need to shorten it, but you likely can have the best of both worlds!

neighbormike likes this.
  12. Muller 5

Muller 5 Active Member

Update:. I went back on yesterday morning and explained that I really wanted the job and I was willing to start training before the trip and shorten it or cancel as needed, but because of other people relying on me, I needed a definitive answer by noon. (Mom would have needed to buy plane tickets and my son would have been able to do troop camp, but there was a deadline.). I was told to go on the trip and contact them when I get back, so we are going after all.

13. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

Asking is always a good thing. Any company worth a hoot, will consider ones real life. Glad it worked out OK.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
    Toedtoes likes this.
  14. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

Glad it worked out!

I always try to remind myself when I face situations like this that honesty and asking first is always going to be the best solution - no matter what my brain or friends or family start trying to tell me and how they start making it into a nervewracking disaster in the making. And yes, my brain is just as likely to confuse me as anything anyone else says.