dinette move

Discussion in 'Camper Restoration Projects' started by nexus, Mar 3, 2013.

1. nexus

nexus New Member

Hi all. So, I have an awesome 1990 Starcraft Starstream, 12 footer all in excellent condition.

Have had this for only 1 year and love it. Best one of all the ones I have had or used over the years.

Anyway, our style is a bit different from the current factory layout. The dinette is standard at the king bunkend, positioned sideways on the curbside wall. (one booth seat runs part way along the bunkend)

I want to turn one booth seat against the curbside wall so it runs the length of the curbside wall and connects with the bunkend booth seat to create an L sectional. I will also extend the bunkend booth seat all the way across the bunkend so that it goes from 40 inch long to 62 inch. This opens up the area and is more inviting.
    Has anyone done this? have any warnings about structure?

I know i know.......it eliminates the 3rd bed, but again, we don`t need it and I do not care about resale value. I intend to keep it till it rots!

2. Mickeyrv

Mickeyrv Week day camping is great

As long as you are happy with the end results, nothing else matters.

3. shelmily

shelmily Well-Known Member

Agreed. The floor plan can be changed to suit your needs.

4. bondebond

bondebond New Member

If you haven't yet seen the framing that they used, you'll be surprised at how little of it they used to make the bench seating. It's a pretty simple mod even though you're redesigning the built in furniture. My first PUP used 1"x1" for the framing. Just make sure you have vertical supports at the front and back of the framing every so often and you'll be fine. Depending on the method for installation and removal, you might be able to re-use much of the existing work.

When I did some modifications in the previous PUP, I anchored a free floating wall with some shallow "Hollow Wall Anchors" like these and some angle brackets. You can also do something like gluing and nailing cleats to the wall but be sure to use vertical supports for any load bearing work. The cleats or anchors are only there to hold it up against the wall and not supporting weight.

5. nexus

nexus New Member

Thanks guys. I am already a bit into it and I had a great convo with Starcraft. They gave me some useful tips and warnings.

Going forward!!

6. Jimbow

Jimbow Well-Known Member

Could you share the tips and warnings?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

7. Clive

Clive New Member

I did the same moving the table to the outside, we have a full awning to keep it from the weather, makes a huge space. Yes the 3rd bed is lost but you still have 2 small child beds. My wife and I have a bunk each and 2 grandchildren used the seating area with room to spare..

8. robynbanks

robynbanks New Member

we are looking to doing the same thing in our 95 starflyer. The bench we are looking to move has our electrical under the bench, did starcraft say anything about moving the electrical part back to fit into the area?

9. nexus

nexus New Member

TIPS AND WARNING as per my conversation with Starcraft.

1. DO NOT remove any storage /counters that are on the door sidewall that is on the short end - if you do, you must replace with similar or stronger "something" as these cabinets, etc help keep the sidewalls square and the bunkend sliders properly supported. Apparently if you do this you will begin to have major probs with the door not closing and latching, the floor popping, bunkend sloping and the rear wall giving and pulling away at the dinette bench.

2. Be careful as to the path of the 12 volt wiring in the area of the dinette. and note that most dinettes are actually placed and designed to to store the water resivore and electrical so to as to balance the trailer. removing the dinette entirely and not replacing with something will drastically change the weight and balance in the ass end.

3. something else, but I can`t remember right now......:) Will add later when /if I remember.