Dinnette slideout clearance issues

Discussion in 'Slide-Outs / Bunkends' started by donaltman3, Oct 19, 2020.

1. donaltman3

donaltman3 New Member

I have an 03 Coleman Niagra with a middle slide out for the dinette. This thing seems to be sliding out very roughly. Do they normally roll or glide out? We put new peel and stick flooring down in the camper and now can visibly see the bottom edge of the slide-out on the inside is rubbing the floor as it is pushed in an out and it looks as if it has done this for some time. The edges on the inside portion are chipping as it is slid in and out. Before you wouldn't notice it because the floor was a yellowish-brown and so was the sawdust/wood shavings but now it is a dark floor we are able to see exactly where it is rubbing. I also have to "bump" the slide with my weight to get it to go all the way in.. I guess because towards the end it is contacting the floor as if it is leaning some.

What should I be looking for to try to fix this? How much clearance is between the bottom of the slide-out and the floor inside usually?

2. pmt

pmt New Member

The slide out is on several rollers and shouldn't be difficult to push in and out. Each side has a metal wheel in a track and there are 2 or 3 flat rollers in the middle. In the attached photo from my 2008 Avalon you can see one of the flat rollers on the left, and the wheel in the track on the right.

There should be enough clearance at the bottom to get a fingertip through, and mine has a rubber sweep at the bottom to close the gap.

I would start by taking the front cover off and inspecting the rollers. The bolts cam come out of the rollers over time.

Let us know what you find.
    20180602_234827-1.jpg

flingwing1969 likes this.
  3. donaltman3

donaltman3 New Member

Great thank you for sharing this. The middle rollers were out of adjustment.. in fact on one of the two in the middle roller pins the cap had come off and the roller was not level causing that side to drop. We fixed that and adjusted it a little higher and now have no clearance issues. Thank you for helping. We did notice what looks like two more in the center rear of the slide but not sure how they are accessed.. by quick glance it looks like maybe the outside panel comes off to get to them. Thankfully I don't think I need to adjust them any !!! I was so tired and discouraged when we found this issue.... we have been remodeling it getting ready for our first trip. Very relieved to have gotten it squared away, thanks again!

4. flingwing1969

flingwing1969 Active Member Silver Supporting Member

I don't have any fancy-pants slide out but those rollers look to be almost identical to the rollers on a sectional garage door.

5. pmt

pmt New Member

Glad you got it fixed up! Those rollers are a bit of a pain to access and maintain. One of the rollers is missing on mine from before I owned it but everything works fine without it.

I also thought about installing better rollers and wheels with bearings but it seems to work fine as it is.

Thanks for following up!

6. pmt

pmt New Member

You're right, the wheels on the sides are exactly the same as a garage door! The middle rollers are more like metal cylinders though.