Directions on how to build a simple Kitchen Shelf Mod

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by MovingRightAlong, Aug 20, 2009.

1. MovingRightAlong

MovingRightAlong New Member

I was reading a couple of different kitchen shelf threads and apparently the person that had the directions on the website Sharon originally linked to has taken the link down. This is the easiest mod that I have ever done and it literally took me 20 minutes and cost me about 60 bucks.

Step 1: Buy the parts (Courtesy of Sharon).

2 40" tension shower rods

2 double shelf tracks

2 shelf kits (comes with shelf bracket and shelf)

2 Closet Hangers to use as support and later as guides.

Side note, I used the 24 Inch shelf tracks and 3 foot shelf. Lowes had to cut it for me because they didn't have the kits.

I would also recommend buying S hooks, not mandatory but they come in extremely handy and only cost another buck for 2-4.

Step 2: Level Pup all around, this is extremely important.

Step 3: Unroll your tension rods. There will be a fat end and thinner end, align your shelf holders with the fat end and drill holes in the top and middle screw holes.

Step 4. Screw shelf holders into tension rods. Important, do not put a screw in the bottom hole or you will not be able to lower the tension rod.

Step 5. Put tension rods in place and space them by about 2.5 feet, doesn't need to be perfect. It is important that your camper is level at this point.

Step 6. Make sure the rods are level all around and mark your ceiling and counter for where you want to put your closet hanger pieces. This will help stabalize your shelving unit and serve as a guide for future use.

Step 7. Double side tape, epoxy or screw the closet pieces.

Step 8. Set up your shelf unit.

Step 9. Step back and admire your handy work.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Full Circle

Full Circle Greely, Ontario, Canada

Nicely written, quick and simple.

3. Daduv3Boys

Daduv3Boys American by birth, Southern by the Grace of God!

Thanks for the step-by-step and the pics. DW is happy that I can now get started on her shelves.

4. Martyflyguy

Martyflyguy New Member

Great discription and pics. [:D] Just showed it to the DW and now I have a jod to do. [;)]

5. bankerlkd

bankerlkd New Member

Thanks - I'm off to make a set for our trailer now !!

6. mmmbeanie

mmmbeanie New Member

I don't have my 2004 Fleetwood Niagara open...does any one know the height from the back of the stove to the roof top...will a 40" rod work...I am thinking it would have to be longer....If not I will go out in the 100+ heat and open it to measure it... [:(] just kidding. I would do it tonight after it cools off. But if someone has the measurments it would be helpful so I can go get the stuff to work on it before labor day!

7. Nascar Fan

Nascar Fan Active Member

On my Rockwood the height is just a tad bit over 57". I'm sure they are all about the same.

8. mmmbeanie

mmmbeanie New Member

Thanks, I will wait then to make sure since I think the 40" rods will be too short...

9. Xolthrax

Xolthrax Franconia, Pa.

Franconia, Pa. Butter capital of the East
    Last year, I bought a Rubbermaid Fast Track shelf system to use. The problem I had was that my valence tracks are in the way. If you have room above your valences, it would be a quick and easy solution, too.

10. campingranny

campingranny Active Member

I want to do this mod but my roof wiggles a bit when we go in and out (opening and closing the door). Does everybody's, and will this work for me because it does wiggle?

11. bankerlkd

bankerlkd New Member

You should be fine - I just did this mod and only simply " jump up and down" testing but it looks solid , especially with the closet hangers used top and bottom.

I took some pics if you are interested.

http://s92.photobucket.com/albums/l3/princessned/Fleetwood%20Cobalt%20Mods/

12. MovingRightAlong

MovingRightAlong New Member

Nice work banker. The zips ties are a great idea, were they reinforcement for the screws?

Granny, you shouldn't have a problem, just flip the shelves so that you have a lip.

13. samtgrizz

samtgrizz New Member

copied down your great instructions and will be a building as soon as my PuP comes back from some warranty work.

14. campingranny

campingranny Active Member

Thank you banker and movin right along. Nice close photos. I know I can do this one.

15. screwballl

screwballl Stimulus Package

Looks great may have to do this sometime in the future when finances are better (things are REAL tight now)

Question... why not use rubber feet instead of screwed in mounts?

Just an idea!

16. bankerlkd

bankerlkd New Member

Thanks -actually the zip ties replace the screws at the bottom and middle- If you insert the screws you cannot adjust the tension bar height to close it up-

Srewball- Nothing is screwed into the roof or galley - I could take it all out without any visible sign it's ever been there.

The closet rod holders ( cups) are secured by sticky backed velcro - fabric side attached to the roof and galley and the loop side attached to the cups - so if for some reason I need to remove the cups I can do so without the velcro catching fabric when I close up. The tension rods actually have some rubber on them - I believe the idea of the closet rod holders is to give a "hole" for the rods to fit into in case of shifting/wind effect. You could likely get away without the cups but I was not about to feel the wrath of DW [:(!] if the shelf fell onto her at 3am due to some wind....

17. Sharon

Sharon Dover, FL

Your shelf looks great, We love ours.

As for the roof sway, our roof sways, We used our shelf and had a bad storm with high winds, and the shelf stayed put, but a few cans fell off. But the shelf stayed put as long and you screw it tight. But we found out if you tighten the 2 screws at the top of the lift arms, it will help with the roof sway. So it should be better next time.

Also, on our back poles, we screwed the top and middle but used metal hose clamps and screw them tight to hold the bottom, so you can still twist the pole, it works great.

Here is a tip for the food on the shelf, Dont put Chocolate or bread on the top, the heat from the roof will melt the chocolate and the bread goes bad fast. so use the top for paper products like paper towels, plates and stuff.

We added "S" hooks to our shelf, one is for the dog leash, one for a flash light, the others are for keys and coffee cups.

Also be mindful of how close the bottom shelf is to the stove, just in case you use it, the heat can melt stuff.

We love our shelf.

Sharon

18. 92_Flagstaff

92_Flagstaff New Member

Great tip.. that's on my to-do list for sure. I've seen those hanging fabric shelves, but never this idea. Thanks for sharing ideas.

19. carolgundlach

carolgundlach New Member

I'm having trouble telling where the bottoms of the shower rods fit. Do they go all the way to the top of the cabinets behind the galley? I'm not where I can look at my PUP but I think that that would work.

Carol

20. Sharon

Sharon Dover, FL

Yes, the bottom of the shower rod goes on top of the bottom cabinet behind the galley, you should have enough room to fit the pole, if not, you may have to get a shorter rod and just sit it on top of the top cabinet.

Sharon