Directions on how to build a simple Kitchen Shelf Mod

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by MovingRightAlong, Aug 20, 2009.

1. peppster66

peppster66 New Member

I just wanted to ask Camping granny what kind of anchors were used. I too have the swing over galley, and like the idea of mounting to the rear of the galley, please let me know when you get a chance,, thank you,,,,josef,,,

2. opnorty

opnorty New Member

Wow, this is a great thread. I've been looking at this for quite awhile now. I ended up doing something similar to campingranny. We ended up reinforcing the back of our flip over galley (1/4 inch panelling is really worthless) with 1/2 inch plywood scraps, and bolting to that. It was my way of cheapening the project. 4 thumb screws and t-nuts were a few dollars compared to the spring poles. Here is what we came up with:
    [​IMG]
    Overall front view

[​IMG]
    View of the thrumb screws through the shelf rails

[​IMG]
    View of inside of Galley showing reinforcing plywood and t-nuts.

It sets up in a couple minutes - about as long as it takes to screw in the 4 bolts and hang the shelves. It is pretty sturdy, but it does wiggle a bit when we are walking around inside. Nothing too major though.

Hope this might help someone.

opnorty

3. campingranny

campingranny Active Member

Joseph, I used "Secure tite light duty surface anchors", I got them at Lowe's. They were about $10. If you go to Lowes.com and enter this it will show you exactly what I used. I like them because it takes about 10 seconds to insert brackets into the rings. I store the shelves under the cushions at my table seats, and the brackets on top of the cushion. I did add blocks of scrap wood to the inside of the galley because I didn't want the screws damaging anything that I store inside the galley for transport. Hope this helps.. Thanks for the interest.

4. peppster66

peppster66 New Member

Thanks Camping granny, I appreciate it,, thanks,,,

5. campingranny

campingranny Active Member

You're welcome. Let us know how it works out for you.

6. moneeleann

moneeleann New Member

I just finished this mod this weekend.

Boy, did I ever hit some snags, but the finished product was well worth it.

First, I went to lowes and bought two tension rods, 72 inch as I have about a 60 ish inch gap to fill. I also bought single tracks and brackets. I already had two shelves. Then I found this super cute basket on amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Triton-Storability-1715-Vertical-31-Inch/dp/B002O4XETO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=hi&qid=1287369521&sr=8-1

Basket is adorable, but only fit on a double track, not a single. No biggie, I go back and buy parts. I decide to drill holes through the tension poles and affix with bolts thinking it would make it stronger. Guess what? Lowe's tension rods are only held together by a 1/4 inch plastic screw type thingie. Which I snapped with the drill on my first one. Woohoo. :( I think, no problem, pick up a new pole tomorrow, be more careful with the second.... I drilled, I bolted, I tried to hang the bracket, and there isn't enough space between the rod and the bracket, since the round rod fits into the bracket some. At this point, I'm just annoyed enough to try to saw off part of the bracket with a jigsaw... Only to try it and discover I needed to saw about one more millimeter. Ugh. I'm over it at this point...

After sleeping on it, I decided I really want the shelf. Trip to target, tension rods with metal springs inside this time, yay! Cute little spacers from lowes to keep the rod from slipping so far into the bracket. Carefull drilling, bolting, etc. and finally, DONE!!!!!

I have my caster cups stuck on with velcro. I bought this industrial heavy duty circles from lowes that are the exact dimensions of the back side of the closet caster cups. So far so good, they seem to stick really well (of course, I've only hit about 90 in there since putting them up here in oklahoma. But this way, I can take my cups off and store them in a drawer when not in use, leaving only the velcro circles.

Not the greatest pic, just a quick one on my phone. But... so glad I'm done!

[​IMG]

And, since I have the one tension rod leftover (the lowe's one with the plastic insides) I decided to make it into a coat rack, that way it won't need to hold much weight, the plastic insert just doesn't seem very sturdy to me...

7. beamer0821

beamer0821 New Member

great idea!
    save!

8. R U UP

R U UP New Member

Mine now has the shelves. It looks great!!!

9. GrizzlyGirl

GrizzlyGirl Too many to count!

Anyone know how much weight this set up can take? I'd be looking to store my dishes (Corelle), cookware (but not the cast iron. And probably mini totes that hold our toiletries. Any advice would be great!

10. bflentje

bflentje Member

I've built the shower rod shelf mod for both sides of my Jayco 1206 though I use wooden shelving instead of wire. Mine holds up the microwave and all of the canned goods and feels solid as ever. Going into my third year without issues. In fact, I keep making the system better after each time out.

My change for this coming year is to add a very thin lip on the front and back of my shelves to keep items from sliding off.

11. wardog

wardog Member

I have yet to get mine to stay up. I have not found glue good enough to hold and I tighten the rods pretty tight but am afraid to damage the ceiling. It must be this extreme fluctuating temps here in Texas.

12. jmullan99

jmullan99 New Member

I peeled back the ceiling liner, the took some 1/8" plywood approx 6"x6" and glued it up where the poles would go. Glued back the liner. a) it gives a solid point to anchor the end cap, and b) spreads the pressure of the pole over a greater area. Yes, you can see the outline of the the plywood, but it doesn't look bad at all.

I also have a set on both sides. My one side is quite long and sags a bit with weight. I am going to add a 3rd middle pole to help that out.

13. huizarr

huizarr Member

On my Starcraft the peremiter of the ceiling is made of 1x2's. So I just used 1" screws to attach the shower pole caps to the ceiling.

14. wardog

wardog Member

Ours won't stick on the counter or the ceiling. We did set up 3 poles for a longer shelf but do not put anything really heavy. We have considered putting screws in ceiling and counter but that makes me nervous. Once it's done it's done. I am not planning on getting rid of my pup anytime soon but I hate to do something like that.

15. jmullan99

jmullan99 New Member

I wouldn't be so nervous with screws in the counter. They don't need to be very long. The cups do not provide any real structural integrity, just keep the poles from sliding sideways, and aid in making sure the poles are straight.

As for ceiling, I wouldn't be too nervous. But if the position of the poles line up with styrofoam, they won't hold anyway. That is why I add thin plywood so they had something to grab (and spread the pressure over greater area). Again, as long at the screws are not long (say up to 1/2"), you won't run the risk of poking thru the roof.

16. aregbert

aregbert New Member

I may be jumping in late and I will confess up front that i have not read the entire thread. For our storage troubles, we have purchased a pvc shelf unit from WalMart for around $14. It folds down to a convenient storage size and is strong enough to store everything we need. It may take 5 minutes to assemble and 5 to take down, but there are no holes to drill or damage to be done.
    http://i.walmartimages.com/i/p/00/02/40/99/09/0002409909177_180X180.jpg

http://www.walmart.com/ip/4-Tier-Heavy-Duty-Plastic-Shelves-White/8251816
    [:)C]
    [2C]

17. bflentje

bflentje Member

I use nothing more than friction and gravity to hold my rods up. Now sure what you all are glueing. The only screws I used were to attach shelf bracket posts to the spring loaded hanger bars.

18. JuMPdroid

JuMPdroid Jason/Amanda/Ethan

Did this today. We needed to get a longer rod and I had to grind down the brackets so they didn't hit the rods. Will definitively come in handy. Thanks!

19. murph1rp

murph1rp New Member

Oh wow! this is great! I had to comment on this so it is saved. Can't wait to build this.

20. Ryoukoe

Ryoukoe New Member

I love the idea! For some of those who are having trouble getting the curtain ends to stick have you thought about using the 3m velcro adhesive strips (they can be used to put pictures on the walls without nails)? We live in a mobile home and use these all the time to hang up our pictures and never had a problem with them falling down. When you are ready to remove the strips they come off the wall quite easily leaving no marks.