Disabled access sites

Discussion in 'Reservation Systems' started by world traveler, Nov 6, 2015.

1. world traveler

world traveler Member

Hi everybody,

I was going to make a reservation for a campsite but the only 4 sites available are disabled access. Is there any policy about those sites if they are not occupied? Thanks.

2. speckhunter80

speckhunter80 Well-Known Member

If you arrive without reservations and those sites are available I believe most CGs will allow you to take one. But you should not reserve one if you are not handicapped.

3. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

Totally up to each campground and state. Some here won't let you reserve or walk in to a handicapped site unless you can prove you are handicapped. Just give them a call and ask!!

Good luck!

[:D]

4. Black Bear

Black Bear Well-Known Member

We were allowed to stay in a handicap site in Calaveras Big Trees SP when our reservations got messed up.
    But we had to get approval from the park ranger. Very nice, considering the mess up was our fault.
    I agree with ROTNMOM, call first & ask. It would not be fun to be kicked out of your site.

5. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

It can depend - there is at least one public (USFS) campground that we use regularly where every (almost every - there are some FCFS walk-in sites that may or may not be considered HC, but the path is pretty wide, smooth and level) reserve-able site is now considered accessible. When we make a reservation, the warning pops up that the site is accessible, but since there isn't a way to find a site that's not accessible, we ignore the warning.
    In other places, the HC sites are only available on a night-by-night FCFS basis, if they have not been reserved. I've seen some that are open for anyone to use, again on a night-by-night basis, if no one eligible for HC has taken them by a certain time, usually 5 p.m.
    If you can call and get a definitive answer, that would be the way to go.

6. webhannet

webhannet Member

You can't park in a handicapped parking space unless! Why should a campsite be different/ Someone qualified might pull in during the night.

7. metro6775

metro6775 New Member

Where I camp - if all that is left is a handicapped accessible site then it is ok to book. Handicapped accessible does not always mean handicapped reserved.

8. kitphantom

If you can, contact the agency that runs the campground for clarification. Variations are many, and accessible is not exactly the same as handicapped. In some cases, there are sites designated as handicapped-only, often these are paved. At times, those are available for one night if a person with a HC plate does not take residence before a specified time. In other places, a HC plate is required at all times. I have no idea if that depends on the agency, size of campground or time period the designation was put on the site.
    The campground where the CO Rally is this year is the one I referenced before. Very few reservable sites are not listed as accessible (not handicapped). This is not a bad thing for some of our attendees. An actual designated HC site should be a different critter in most cases, but it depends on who does the defining.

9. JustRelax

JustRelax Active Member

Though many differ on opinion on this matter on morally booking - the sites are handicap accessible, not permit required. Legally think of it like a public restroom. There are stalls that are accessible so anybody can use them but the government mandates that a certain percentage meet ADA requirements. We've all went to the handicap stall - especially when it's the only one open...

I know a couple that only books the handicap accessible sites because the majority of the site is paved, not gravel/dirt. They don't like to get dirty and camp to go ride their motorcycle or tour wineries and such. The way that they see it is that if somebody needs the access they can reserve 6 months out like everyone else.

I'm not wanting to start a debate on what they do is right or wrong (I think it's a little impolite). I'm just saying that you can book that site without needing a permit (at least in Indiana). If there are only 4 left and it's where you want to camp on the weekend you want to go then go ahead and book one.

10. JustRelax

JustRelax Active Member

Sorry just realized this is a dated topic from Nov 15....

11. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

+2 for walk-in, this is what I have seen. But you can not make reservations of those sites unless you are disabled at Ohio SP and NF. They say they check for the disability card at check in???

12. tenttrailer

tenttrailer Art & Joyce - Columbus, O

13. Snow

Snow Well-Known Member

Here, the only way you can even stay on those sites let alone reserve them is to have a member of the camping party carrying a disability card..

14. WingShot

WingShot New Member

I have only had experience with this subject once before. Was told by the CG host that they prefer you not reserve the handicapped sites until they are the only ones left. But it wasn't a rule. The sites are viewed as "handicapped accessible", not "handicapped required".

I have the same view on handicapped stalls and "family" style restrooms.

15. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

San Diego CP will let you reserve a HC site if it is the last one available without a HC placard, but you need to call and not reserve on-line. I have done this!!

As for CA SP, we have a rally this weekend, HC sites are only available to HC placard holders, no exceptions.

So as said to know you should just call the CG you intend to stay!!

16. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

So YOU'RE the one who made me pee my pants while waiting for you to leave the handicapped stall. [;)] If you knew me and my limitations, you probably still wouldn't care. But if it were your spouse, I think it would be a totally different story. The embarrassment alone was horrible, walking through a store and no way to cover my wet pants. Not to mention having to sit on my CLOTH car seat all the way home.

The last group of tiny little girls, five of them, that were playing in the handicapped stall at a restaurant, told me where to go when I asked them to please hurry! Then I had 3 LARGE moms who cornered me in the ladies room. I talked to the manager and they were TOLD to leave. I 'made it', but barely. That's probably all I should say. The restaurant folks did give me their names, but I let it go. Not sure I'll be so lenient next time, as my issues get worse.

It's a NEED, not a privilege, to have those stalls with higher toilets and bars.

[:D]

17. WingShot

WingShot New Member

No offense there, RotnMom...if it was me, my sincere apologies. But I doubt it. As to the 5 girls and their mothers, they wouldn't want to try that with my Wife. I don't know you, or your limitations, but I do care.

What if one is suffering from their own gastrointestinal emergency? Or perhaps drank another beer before running to the restroom? I'm supposed to wait for a "regular" stall to open while the "handicapped" one sits vacant? Or my local watering hole, where the mens room consists of one urinal and one handicap accessible stall. God forbid should I have to go #2.

Come on, you all ready get the best parking spaces! [;)] [:D] [;)]

18. jerry_ma

jerry_ma Member

My spouse is in a wheelchair and needs that stall. I havent run into your situation yet though. I have to wheel her into the ldies room when my daughter isnt with me. I open the door and ask if anyone is in there first. So far no one has objected to me getting her settled.

I do leave once she is ready and open the door to check on her nut dont look in.

As far as handicapped campsites, the only differences I have seen is the extra overhang on the picnic table

Jerry in MA

19. kitphantom

Most of the designated HC sites I've seen are paved. The accessible sites at some of the campgrounds we use do have the overhang on the table, but the gravel underlay would probably be more of a challenge to a wheelchair than pavement. I think it is similar to houses these days that are considered accessible, allowing for more "aging in place" versus a handicapped adapted house.
    (One of my husband's co-workers spent several hours earlier this month trying to find an actual HC hotel room, the one reserved for her was not suitable to a wheelchair. I think it took 3 or 4 different hotels before she found a room. Her comment was that it used to be a bit easier in some ways, if a room was designated HC it actually was that, there is now a range of accessible to HC.)

Same thing with the vault toilets at some campgrounds. Often there is only one or one for each gender, it is accessible, but for use by everyone. As the facilities have been updated, the size and accessibility has been increased, but not always the number of toilets in any given campground loop.

20. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

When making a reservation last year in a Forest service campground in WY this message popped up:
    "You are about to make a reservation for an ACCESSIBLE SITE.
    This site is accessible for persons with a disability or otherwise limited physical mobility. If no one in your party needs an accessible site, please consider selecting another site unless this is the only site available at the time of your request."

I went ahead and made reservations in another site. When I got there and while setting up a LE ranger came by and I asked him about the handicapped sites. He said there is NO law against camping in one, they only request you pick another site if possible. However, he did note, that the handicapped sites all had electricity. Other than power, there was NO differences between any of the sites. They were all gravel, basically the same length and width; just the power.

Later that night, the handicapped sites had all filled up, and not one person in any sites looked to be handicapped, and yet there remained quite a few non-handicapped sites empty.