Disabled access sites

Discussion in 'Reservation Systems' started by world traveler, Nov 6, 2015.

1. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

You can't always SEE the handicap. Just sayin... [A]

[:D]

2. Nandy

Nandy Active Member

I have a friend with MS and when you look at her you would not know she has MS. She does have the disability sticker, however, unless her MS is flaring up she wont use a disabled parking spot....

so yeah, the disability dont always show, however, I think you wold have see the sticker or permit while they are parked there...

3. f5moab

f5moab Retired from the Federal Government

Well, for two couples, I have to assume they were NOT disabled since they both carried backpacks, went off into the woods and did some trails up to the mountains. Possible they were running CPAP machines at night; have no idea. But I have friends who run CPAP machines on batteries. As for placards; didn't see any hanging, nor did I see any handicapped plates, but agree, not everyone will keep their placards hanging from a rearview mirror. And it was ONLY suggested to leave the sites open for disabled persons, not a law.

What I can't understand is, why this campground had six electric sites, all designated accessible; while six miles down the road, there is another Forest service campground that has 21 sites with power/19 without, and not one is tagged as accessible.

What I can say is, if I'm making reservations and there are other sites available, I will use them, so long as the trailer and the truck will fit into the site. However, if only accessible sites are available, and it is legal, I will take it. But that is the rules as published.

4. webhannet

webhannet Member

Some really HARSH and UNCARING answers! Are some of you're still stuck in "Junior High"?

Other than a small limp, you wouldn't have a clue of my handicaps, but I have several. If you have some problem with my having a handicap pass, take it up with the State Of Maine -not me. People have the opinion that handicap people are not PEOPLE - until they become one.

I rode the electric scooters in the store for two years, and it was an amazing experience. People look right through you. They stop their shopping cart right in front of your path as though you weren't there. People are VERY RUDE (like the answers here) to handicapped people, and I'd bet they have some in their families.

If the campground had labeled a site for handicap, the ranger certainly IS obligated to enforce it.

Only two parks I go to have suitable (and separate, private, LOCKED) bathrooms for handicap - and those are close to the sites.

5. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

I certainly believe that actual handicapped sites should be used by those for whom that designation is intended.

However, as I commented above, there is not a good standard applied to campsites. The phrase f5moab quotes will appear during the reservation process for almost every campsite in some of the campgrounds we use. As far as we can figure out, when some of the campgrounds have been rehabbed, sites that are fairly level got designated "accessible" - again, note the difference - not handicapped, accessible. On some loops, probably 75% of the sites now have that designation, so the intent does not seem to be to limit occupation to those with HC status.

As I've coped with foot surgeries, back surgery, pleurisy, etc., I have found out just how difficult it is to maneuver in some places. Some stores don't have enough electric carts, I've had to sit in one place at the grocery store while DH shopped the aisles and checked in with me from time to time. I also took out an entire display in one grocery store - and felt not the least bit guilty, since there wasn't enough turning radius allowed at that spot. (I was sort of surprised someone hadn't knocked it over with a standard shopping cart.) I've also found that in osme public restrooms that have been retro-fitted for a HC stall, the remaining stalls are tiny, with obstacles created by toilet paper dispensers, etc. I have actually twisted my deteriorating back on more than one occasion, trying to use those stalls. It's not a perfect world!

6. JustRelax

JustRelax Active Member

To me it sounds like every situation is different on whether you can or can't which is why it is best to call to the campground and ask if there is a question. I know in Indiana if a site is deemed handicap accessible I can book that site and arrive at the campground without showing any identification (I never have done this but as stated I know people that do). It sounds as if some states require placards.

I don't think anybody's intention was to come off as cold or rude - and I apologize if I did. This discussion in general was if you could so the personal element was removed.

7. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

My disability is not visible and people do the same around here, people stop in front of people all the time.

My sons disability is visible (not to all) and he doesn't give 2 craps, He'll say good morning to everyone, anytime of the day, even if they had been looking past us, they maybe just didn't know how to react to someone 'different', then they always have big smiles as my son asks their name, how they are doing, and usually asks for a hug or high 5. There is no quick trip to the grocery store for us.

I am glad he wont allow a diagnosis define him!! He has met quite a few people on this site at Rallys already and can't wait to meet more!!

8. Nandy

Nandy Active Member

Your kids sounds much like my son, he will also get up a chair and start jamming with his music, ask Pam! lol!
    God bless!

9. Haybale

Haybale I'd rather be camping!!

This is a few years ago, but still a good read (reply #5)!

http://www.popupportal.com/index.php?topic=81155.0

10. Bowman3d

Bowman3d Well-Known Member

My wife has a disability. To look at her you wouldn't know it but at times it's hard on her. Most times we won't use handicapped parking spaces preferring to leave them for someone who needs it more. We have never used a handicapped camping site as of yet . we prefer grass under our feet, but it's nice to have the option if we need it. I use a small motel in the Catskills. 6 rooms were handicapped accessible. I always tried booking them last just in case. But in the 13 yrs I had the place only had 2 guests that required a handicapped accessible room.

11. Nandy

Nandy Active Member

12. phager76

phager76 Active Member

Thanks for that, Haybale. My son is also special needs, although there still is no official diagnosis, and it's incredibly motivating to here the positive effect camping has had for your son!

13. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

It's TRUE...and that kid can boogie!! And just as he approaches the solo, mean ole dad makes him sit back down. [LOL] [LOL] But just watching him makes ME dance in my chair! [A]

14. Nandy

Nandy Active Member

Mean ol' dad phrase this weekend was "close the camper door, you are going to let the cat out!" He heard it like every other hour, I think is imprinted on him already! lol!

15. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

LMAO Now one of us is going to come in to visit and he's going to grab the door, push us inside, and close it!! I can see it now.....LOL