Disaster in our pop-up at Gulf State Park

Discussion in 'General Weather Forum' started by k-t-did, Mar 28, 2014.

1. k-t-did

k-t-did Active Member

We woke up this morning to pleasant rain on the canvas...which I love. Kids were happily playing...suddenly, (literally within a span of 3 minutes) the canvas started to shake and billow...then the whole camper started shuddering. I yelled at the kids to get dressed...no time for that. We ran to the jeep just as the pop up was blown off it's stabilizers and the tongue off the blocks of wood it was on. My 6 year old could not walk upright in the blowing wind and rain. I put both kids in the car and went inside, threw everything off the cabinet and beds onto the floor and dropped the roof best I could. It wouldn't go all the way down because of it being so unlevel. It was terrifying. The tongue of the trailer crushed our three bikes...the campsite looked like a hurricane hit. The camper was blown at least 6 feet off where i parked it. I only saw one tent still standing. Most were shredded. Awnings on rvs were destroyed. As we left the campground for shelter (and shoes...mine blew away) we passed a pop up that was completely destroyed. The roof was upside down in the neighbors site. Wood splintered all around. Canvas ripped off. I pray nobody was hurt...there were cops at the site.

So now, I just don't know what to do. I'm not towing home in these storms. I'm scared I can't get it back in tow vehicle by myself. I will NEVER prop the tongue on wood blocks again. I'll buy one of this donuts. I'm scared there will be another band of storms...we are all just shaken.

2. ccptbo

ccptbo Well-Known Member

First of all, is everyone ok?

3. k-t-did

k-t-did Active Member

Yes. Me and my two kids are safe. I don't know about the family in the other pup. I got my kids out of there ASAP. They were pretty terrified...but very brave and did just what I told them to.

4. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Just looking at the Weather Channel radar, it looks like you're right in the middle of the storm. Stay safe.

5. shelmily

shelmily Well-Known Member

Glad to hear you and your family are OK. Sorry to hear about the pup. I have camped in some bad storms, but never had an incident like that. Hopefully everything works out for you. Good luck.

6. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

Stay safe! After it is safe to get a good look at things see if you can hitch up and relevel in order to close it.

My DW is in New Orleans this week and she texted a little while ago saying that a strong storm was going thru there. She also said that a flash flood warning was posted!

7. Carlosrod

Carlosrod New Member

Sorry to hear about the pup. Glad to hear everyone is safe.

Good luck and be well. Pup can be repaired. Life is priceless.

8. skeetercampsintexas

skeetercampsintexas Active Member

Deoending on your location in LA we may be able to help in any way possible. We are in the DFW area, my son lives in Lafayette. Luckily I have a network of people all across the US from time in the Army.

Glad to hear you guys are all safe! Secondly I'm praying you had your PUP insured. If not, I honestly don't know what to say about the situation. I hope all works out, and if yall need help, its only a question away!

9. k-t-did

k-t-did Active Member

I don't think my pup suffered any damage. I think it will raise and lower once re-leveled. Hopefully tongue isn't bent. Headed back to cg to assess

10. mckeapc67

mckeapc67 New Member

Looks like the rain is continuing for a while there. Hopefully the bad wind will not continue.

Lots of street flooding here in SE Louisiana today. Not sure where your live in LA, but we wish you continued safety and a safe trip home.

Please keep us posted and we'll keep you in our prayers.

11. Cannon315

Cannon315 New Member

Im so happy you guys are safe.

12. novagirl

novagirl retired camper

Our best friends are staying there too. I just talked to her on the phone. They are in a big travel trailer and she said the winds this morning were really bad. They didn't have their awning out luckily and don't have any damage. Glad you are ok. That's scary!!

13. Sharon

Sharon Dover, FL

So glad to hear you and the kids are okay. Im sure that was extremely scary for them.

Hopefully the pup is okay, and you can get it closed to take it home. Might want to bring some tie down straps with you, just incase it wont close all the way.

We live in Florida, and it never fails that when we camp, there are storms and high winds and its is very scary.

Sharon

14. mamabean5

mamabean5 Well-Known Member

Glad you're safe. Pups can be fixed, people not so much. Be careful packing and I hope you can tow it home. Remember every time you tell your story to someone, your kids will be listening. You want them to be wiser for the experience and not scared to camp again. Sounds like they did an awesome job doing exactly what you told them to do. Kudos Mom and kids!

15. fmbhappycamper

fmbhappycamper PuP Power

Yes, you did good in a terrifying situation. Sure hope your Pup survives and ya'all get back out Camping. You taught your Kids well [8D]

16. k-t-did

k-t-did Active Member

Just an update...pop up seems fine. Used a bottle jack to get it back on jeep and back in place. The canvas over one bunk end is sagging a bit. Maybe just from being so wet? Nothing else seems amiss.

I lost my coffee pot, screen tent, a string of lights, electric skillet and my table (that makes into the bed) in the storm. Just all too torn up to salvage.

Our bikes are useable but banged up a bit.

We were wet tonight and the wind picked up again. The kids were very scared and every time the canvas billowed and the roof shook, they were so worried...and I was exhausted and anxious. We popped down completely and went to a hotel for tonight to get dry and clean and warm. We did talk about fear, and how it was normal and could keep you safe at times...but how we would get through this bad experience and have great camping trips again. I think it will take a little time but we will be fine!

17. Rynderz

Rynderz Lifelong Camper

Things are repairable and replaceable. Glad there was very little damaged, sounds like you are a great mom!!
    The next few camping trips will have a few more nervous moments but you did a wonderful thing teaching your young ones to use their fears [instincts] to keep them safe but not to keep them fearing life.

Mom of the year!!!! [;)] k-t-did :)

18. k-t-did

k-t-did Active Member

Awww. Thanks. I needed that tonight. It's been a rough day.

19. Rynderz

Rynderz Lifelong Camper

Your welcome [:I]
    Sleep well, hold them close and tomorrow the healing continues. [;)]

20. RotnMom

RotnMom Am I there yet?

Thank God you're all safe! Ditto on pups being fixed. People don't think it sometimes, but they can be pretty tough little 'machines'. Mine went thru surrounding tornadic activity in 2009 and it hit me face first (door side) for 3 rounds of it. I think the only two things that kept me from flipping is I have a slide out with 2 stabilizers on the back, and my fluffy arse.

My camp mates were perpendicular to me, and they felt their rear bed lifting, so they all got on it to help keep it down. LOTS of tents in the creek the next day.

Again, glad everyone is ok! Just remember, ONE day here soon, you're going to over hear one of your kids telling their friends, 'yeah, it was real scary but real cool! we hid out in the truck!' and it will be a memory from there.

Personally, I'd rather flip and roll than be lifted to Kansas, or a tree fall on me.

[:D]