Discount Tire won't repack bearings?

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by thethird152, Sep 11, 2015.

1. thethird152

thethird152 Active Member

I'm getting ready for new shoes on my pup so I called Discount Tire and they assured me they can put new tires on my camper (my E1 takes LT tires - larger than normal trailer tires). However, when I asked if they can clean and repack the bearings while they have the wheels off, they told me that they couldn't, as they don't do any sort of mechanical work, only wheels and tires. I found that a bit strange. It's not that I have a problem doing them myself, I'd just prefer to have it all done in one fell swoop.

Do tire shops normally offer this kind of service?

Thanks,

Paul

2. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

IIRC, I had to call around town to find a place to repack the bearings on our original pup. I think many places only did brakes and bearings as a package deal, and that pup had no brakes. This was 5 years ago, so small details have floated away - we ended up having it done (& new tires) at the small, independent place we've had vehicles aligned. Because we neglected to re-torque the wheels on the first trip and had one fly off on the road, we had the bearings repacked at Camping World. [In spite of CW being one of those places people love to hate, they managed to fit us in on a busy Friday, once we limped the 9 or so miles back to them. The wheel had knocked off the dust cap, we had grease everywhere and the bolts were wrecked.]
    For the second pup, we had the bearings and brakes done at the dealer's, our driveway is not conducive to doing either job at home. Just had the yearly warranty inspection for the TT at the dealer where we bought it, and will have them re-pack the bearings as needed. We'll need new tires for next season, trying to decide between dealer and Discount.

3. WeRJuliIan

WeRJuliIan If it's "Aluminum", why not "Sodum" and "Uranum"?

Replacing a tyre is very easy.

You can train a minimum-wage kid to do it in a few hours, and turn over a steady revenue on nothing else.

Brakes, bearings, etc... that's mechanical, requires more skill and experience, and has a slower turnaround rate. You could use that time and space to sell more tyres... and you don't have to pay a better trained mechanic, or carry an inventory of parts... or higher liability insurance.

As in all things, you get what you pay for... I'm just happy that we know a good shop, not too far away.

4. thethird152

thethird152 Active Member

Good info - thanks gang. I'll keep shopping around (Discount Tire was just close to my house so I thought I'd try there first).

5. lifespeed

lifespeed Member

You don't want an unskilled person touching anything mechanical that you own. Packing bearings is not difficult, but the consequences of doing it wrong can be disastrous.

6. gruss

gruss Active Member

A lot of tire places do mechanical work, discount tire I don't think is one of them? I do like Discount tire though, always had a good experience with them although none are camper related.

7. PinnMcrack

PinnMcrack Active Member

I vote for your favorite repair shop also, unless you don't mind getting a little greasy by doing it yourself. I repacked the bearings on Milly before we sold her

8. BIGTOM

BIGTOM Member

Most newer vehicles do not have repackable wheel bearings, they are sealed units. Therefore tire and wheel shop are not equipped to pack bearings anymore.