Discouraged popup dreamer

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by SHANDA, Aug 1, 2018.

1. SHANDA

SHANDA New Member

Hi guys and gals. Have a question. Does anyone here actually love their popup? It may sound like a dumb dumb question, but....here I am asking it.

I'm currently a tent camper. I love it. The sounds from outside, the smell of the pine trees. That said, I'm getting older. Air mattresses leave a lot to be desired. The boyfriend and I are tired of waking up with rocks in our backs and a Labrador and Boston Terrier fighting about who's going to be in our bed (a whole other topic).

I only have 3 requirements. An indoor shower, an AC unit, and small enough to fit inside a garage (we live in AZ and the sun damages things quickly).

I travel trailer giving me a hard time
    I have popup peeps (not from this forum) giving me a hard time.

A friend and theboyfriend tried to get me to buy a very cheap, aka broken, used popup, just to get me into a pop-up "for the time being until you can get another popup). I got a pic and instantly offered half of the asking price (canvas damaged, support for axel cracked, and whatever more was wrong that I didn't see).

This is a "fun" item, so I will be saving up to pay cash (I personally refuse to make payment on "fun" items).

Am I going about this the right way?

I'm trying to learn as much as I can before I buy, so I can make an educated decision, but I've got a lot of naysayers and pushy people coming at me from both sides.

Any wisdom and lessons learned are welcomed. Sorry for the lengthy post

Thanks everybody.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
  2. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

As soon as you made the statement that you want an indoor shower, you just added a few grand to the costs (if buying new) and increased the size and weight of the camper. Not just the shower unit but also the fresh water holding tank (and the water of course) will add weight. and both will also require more space.

An AC Unit is not a problem, and fitting it in a garage should not be an issue.

Coming from tent camping, it kind of surprised me that having an indoor shower and AC was at the top of your question list.

WVhillbilly and neighbormike like this.
  3. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

You can get something older in reasonable shape for like 3 to 4 grand. What do you have to pull it?

Rik Peery likes this.
  4. gladecreekwy

gladecreekwy Well-Known Member

Love my pop up. Indoor shower totally unnecessary in my opinion

neighbormike likes this.
  5. MsMac

MsMac Active Member

We love our PUP. It's a 12 foot box (so a little over 16 feet, including tongue) that fits perfectly in our garage. We don't have a/c, but do see quite a few PUPs around here (Puget Sound area) with it. We do have an indoor shower that works perfectly for storage. LOL

That said, I'd certainly not rush to get something just for the sake of getting something. Especially if it's going to require work that you cannot (or don't want to) do. And tell all those people that are pestering you that they are free to get their own PUP, if they wish. [:D]

Orchid likes this.
  6. SHANDA

SHANDA New Member

I won't be purchasing new. Depreciation is really bad on pop-ups and luckily, I live in a place where people have buyer's remorse pretty quickly on these.

Some of the places I go to can get to 100 degrees. Its rare, but happened this year.

Shower is because I'll also be using it when I go hunting. Smell can run off animals if they catch your scent

7. SHANDA

SHANDA New Member

Chevy k2500 truck

8. SHANDA

SHANDA New Member

I can understand and appreciate your opinion on the shower, but I have my reasons.

gladecreekwy and Orchid like this.
  9. SHANDA

SHANDA New Member

What popup do you have?

10. MsMac

MsMac Active Member

1989 Coleman Williamsburg

11. DJS12354

DJS12354 Well-Known Member

We were long time tent campers and moved to pup and will not go back.
    Good luck with your search. Be patient and you will find the right pup!

12. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

If the tent setup doesn't bother you, popup setup won't either. It's about the same I think, depending on what tent you use. If backing up and towing a trailer is okay with you, you're set.

You can get pretty clean with a sink, warm water, soap, and a washcloth, but if you're washing much hair, you'll want a shower. Even if it's an outdoor shower (which most popups with a water heater will have), it's nice to have.

(I am coming from a popup slidein truck camper. It is is great for couples and still roughing it somewhat. Very tight when the kids start to grow. There are many configurations and brands out there, some much better than others, and if your truck has a halfway decent payload, they are worth checking out. You drive it around and park it like a naked truck and can use just about any camp site.)

13. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

We are also "long time" tenters but we still do both types today. The pup is used whenever we can drive in to and is more readily setup and of course more comfortable to sleep in etc, etc. Why not do both were its appropriate?

14. Sjm9911

You have a lot of options as you have a big truck! I got a 20 year old Coleman Westlake, haven't used it yet, still fixing it up a bit. But the price was about 3000, including some camping gear. It has a shower, cassett tolet, ac, heater, water heater, water pump, etc. I plan to use the shower as I have a 6yo that will need hosing off each night! It's big, but will fit in a garage.

15. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

If you ment to write love your popup. I got to say, yes I do. Yes it's work setting up, but the way I look at it so was setting up a tent camp. Except now we don't have to carry a separate stove, mattress etc as well thing is included. I have one of the larger pop-ups which has a slide out. With a gross weight of 3600 pounds and just a tad over 21' long from tip of tongue to spare tire. Reason I love the popup...wide open windows. If you have all windows open you have almost a 360° view all around. Easier to tow. You can see almost directly over the camper depending on your tow vehicle. My MPG is hardly effected when I tow or not. It's easier to store . What I don't like...if it's raining I have to make sure I dry out the canvas before storing it. If your the type that wants to pack the camper before a trip, you have to pop it up. (I skip this step as I have off site storage). My campsites are limited now. I used to be able to camp wherever I put the tent, now I'm stuck to only places the camper can go. I also have to be careful about finding sites long and wide enough to fit the open unit and car.
    Finding the right popup for you, one you can tow and fit in your garage is going to require lots of research. What ever you decide you will need to make a pros and cons list for everything you are looking at. Look at the floor plan, look at where and how you like to camp, what are your requirements vrs wants. You also have to know exactly how much your tow vehicle can tow. Just note that even if your rig says it can tow xxxx that number may only be considering the weight of the driver and not passengers and gear etc. As far as the weght of the camper you cannot always rely on the dry weight being to real weight. As the dry weight may not include any options the camper has such as AC, or propane etc. I always judge by gross weight myself which is how much the camper axle can safely hold.
    I have a 4 runner that can tow 5000 pounds, my camper weighs bit less than 3600. I do not want to tow any more with this set up as my vehicle slows down to 40mph on the very steep hills in the mountains. Flatish ground I hardly know it's there.
    Good luck.

16. SHANDA

SHANDA New Member

That's my plan. Will probably do tent when it's just me, popup when it's the 2 of us.

17. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Why, yes, I do love my pop-up. It's my third favorite material possession after my home and my Christmas ornaments.

This is our fourth pop-up, and bathroom w/shower and a/c were absolute necessities for this purchase. No regrets on my purchase. We've had this one for about 4 years and it did come with some issues that needed addressed, we paid $1500 for it.

The canvas was disgusting, although intact and in good condition other than the mildew. Lots of hours of elbow grease on that. It had a leaking storage trunk, so we needed to repair that and replace the gasket seal on the trunk lid.

The roof also needed a new gasket and Grizzly Gripped, which we did.

Two soft spots on the floor that required repair, and the fixing of leaks that caused them, which was just a matter of caulking on one and the roof seal on the other. The spots were not severe so we were able to use wood hardener and filler to fix them.

Those were all things that were acceptable to us and we knew we could take care of. So, it depends on if you are able and willing to fix the things that are wrong with any camper you buy. Remember, repairs cost money that you may as well add to the purchase price, mentally. If you have to replace the canvas, that's about $1,000.

So, basically, if you add the cost of repairs up, you may come up with the same amount that you could spend on a camper that needs no work. It's really a personal decision and depends on what you're willing to pay for. Don't be bullied by anyone. Look something over very well, research the cost of repairs and make your own decision. As @MsMac said, if people try to push you into anything, tell them to buy their own and you'll make your own decisions as to what to buy.

Sjm9911 likes this.
  18. Sjm9911

@Orchid, chritmass ornimants! Didn't think a sharp shooting grandma would be that type! Live and learn. [:D]

Orchid likes this.
  19. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

I loved my first popup... '94 Starcraft Stardust... less was more. Got a slightly bigger pup with a few more options and it was just more to setup. Currently I have a tt with all kinds of amenities and a quarter of the setup! I haven't changed the way I camp since tenting, just the way I sleep!

nineoaks2004 likes this.
  20. PopUpSteve

PopUpSteve Administrator

Get an outside shower tent then. Would be a lot cheaper.

shuang2, Rik Peery and J Starsky like this.