Discouraged popup dreamer

Discussion in 'Camper Pre-Purchase Questions' started by SHANDA, Aug 1, 2018.

1. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

Love you guys! You know... in a manly sorta way [CC]

Last edited: Aug 1, 2018
  2. SHANDA

SHANDA New Member

Good to know. I'll keep in mind to look at tanks that are on them

3. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

I did see the whole gray water thing as a disadvantage at first. Turned out, that with our style of camping (5 days minimum, sometimes 2 weeks) it has turned out to be a big advantage. Because of our lengthy trips, there are not too many built in gray water tanks that we wouldn't fill in that time. That would mean dragging an entire travel trailer to the dump station. Of course you could empty into portable tanks like we have, but then you're back to the same thing that was considered a negative in a pup.

With our 32 gallon tote, we just hook it to the hitch on the tow vehicle and tow it to the dump station. We could do it every day if we really needed to. It only takes 5 or 10 minutes. Worth it to me to have a shower. We have a smaller one hooked to the sink, but plan to plumb them both together eventually.

There are lots of vintage pups that have hard walled showers. Not high walls either. Unfortunately, they are are not as common to find. Ours is a hard wall that goes almost to the ceiling on one side, the other side we put a dorm fridge on the counter and that creates a fairly private shoilet area, with only the curtain in the front. There is also a privacy curtain that snaps across the ceiling to make that whole end of the camper private for people wanting to step out of the shower. It's a very comfortable set up.

4. landon6062

landon6062 Active Member

So cute.. license tags.. a Contractor by trade.. Nice...

There does seem to be something very common among men..

In my opinion.....IF they do it for a living, they don't want to come home and do more of it..

my hubby writes procedure manuals/instructions for a Nuclear Plant, the last thing he wants to do when he gets home. Is read another Manual.. LOL

myride likes this.
  5. Fixitup

Fixitup Active Member

I am guilty of that at times I must confess. My wife has to remind me several times to do a project, but she understands as well. We have 2 sons and teach them all that I can. The payoff is I will give them my honey do list at times taking some of the pressure off of me.

landon6062 likes this.
  6. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Active Member

I'll chime in here. I love my pup, it goes all over the country. I have never used the water system in the unit at all, even though I have a tank, water heater, outside shower... We just use 7 gallon aquatainers. Regarding shower, we have never used ours. I also do a lot of hunting(deer), but not out of the pup. It is not that hard to stay clean and scent free (for the most part). It is much more critical that your outerware be scent free. I just wash up each day with a washcloth, wet wipes if needed and I wash my hair(which is super short). I keep and store all of my outer clothing outside and take great pains to keep them scent free. I have never had a deer wind me and they have walked directly under my stand multiple times. If you want / need AC, then likely you will be using that where you have power (campground) and if that is the case, then you have access to showers(at that location). If you are remote for hunting, then just use good cleaning procedures, but you don't need a shower for that.

Arlyn Aronson and Rik Peery like this.
  7. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

Like MNT camper, we found the more simple of a camper, the better. Every time you add X appliance or a water system, you have more and more things to later break down on you. We still shower but via shower tent so we carry all the items along for showering. If one the these appliances fail, its no big deal to replace them. Same for the stove which of course makes hot water for this or that..

Our camper came with an electrical system which we tested when it was new and we never used it again. Of course we have lights and do like to cook nice meals while camping. We also have a little heater but that's only for early or late season camping. Having no battery, no 20lb propane tanks and no generator, we've kept the weight and packing down to a minim, yet we still have wonderful conveniences of the PUP for outdoor adventures.

8. silverfz

silverfz Active Member

One of the Pups i owned would work for you. It was not a high wall. It was flagstaff 228D.
    It had AC.
    It has a small shower/bathroom setup. As you already have a 2500 truck . Get a 32 gallon tote. You can tow it to the dump site or get a full hookup and use it directly.
    It even had electric lift so you hit a button the roof goes up.
    It was very light .

To use the shower i would newer heavier curtains. that is all. even setup is easy with the button to raise roof. The only physical thing is pull the bed and lift them to bars.
    the dinette was usable and in your case if you choose turn into a big dog kennel/bed area.
    Get the grey water hose to a Y split to the bathroom to your tote

I would not go with such a beat up old unit requiring so much work, unless you have time every day and alot of free time and alot of skill. Again, would rather work on the pup for months to fix or use the same time camping. Parts can add up quickly and over that labor cost too if you cannot do anything .I am ROI guy. Meaning no point putting 3k work of parts and labour on a 300$ pup and sacrifice 6 months of camping. Especially what if you need this 1 item done that you cannot do and need to pay some one 100$ an hr labor to do... so many variables

If your garage will hold a truck, you can get a 17 or 19 ft TT easily. My tundra is 22 ft long and my Explorer is 17 ft long. So a 17ft TT will the job too.

SHANDA likes this.
  9. cam_1100

cam_1100 Member

SHANDA -
    I would agree with Mr. DON'T-Fixitup (;)) and go with a unit that is ready to camp. From my research earlier this year, if you are looking at older (10+yrs) used PUPs it doesn't affect the price much to go from a fixer-upper to something that is in perfect working order. By the time you factor in the time looking for parts, costs, and the time for repairs a fixer-upper may cost more. I don't know what having a shower as a requirement does to your options where you live, but I would avoid getting a "project" PUP unless you are really looking to do a restoration.

That said, whatever route you choose, I can say you won't regret moving up to a pop-up. Our family made the move this spring. As the kids got bigger, and beds got bigger, and everything else got "more", the hassle of setting up a tent camp, then tripping over each other all the time got to be too much. Throw in some bad weather and our "fun family trips" were not so fun anymore. The camper greatly improves your space and comfort, and makes the packing and set-up so much easier.

Good Luck!

Orchid likes this.
  10. cam_1100

cam_1100 Member

I'll add this about the "experience":
    I think a pop-up is an all around better experience than a tent. The camper is a lot less "stuffy" than a tent (at least our tent), and with the side-panels open you really get a great panoramic view and feel more like you are still in nature. You still get all the sounds and scents of tent camping, but a much more comfortable platform to enjoy them. Obviously, the one drawback is that you can take a tent to a lot more places than a PUP, but you can get a PUP almost anywhere you can get a vehicle. If you normally camped near your vehicle anyway, a PUP is probably going to greatly improve your overall experience.

tfischer and KamperKel like this.
  11. Fixitup

Fixitup Active Member

Thanks cam 1100. Oh boy I will never live this one down lol.[B)]

Sjm9911 likes this.
  12. silvermickey2002

silvermickey2002 Morris County, NJ

We do not have a bathroom or shower in our pup. But we do have a roof A/C unit. We do love our pup and it has been on many, many trips. Think about what you really want and what you are willing to pay. Also keep in mind about the maintenance of the pup.

As for traveling with the pup, we can get places bigger rigs cannot go!

13. Dan from Troup

Dan from Troup Well-Known Member

From a long time wilderness backpacker and paddler I chose to go with the larger footprint (12' box) with shower and toilet and a/c. Got my 04 Starcraft for 3300. I noticed someone else asked why a veteran tenter would want a potty, shower and temperature control when they had none of these amenities before?

First of all it extends ones camping season into the warmer or cooler months with climate control. Slept many a night sweating, lying naked hoping for a breeze. Have you? How about those late night stumblings through the woods to do your duty in the cold and rain? Camping is a dirty sport. Remember the smoke that gets into all your gear and clothes from the campfire or the kicked up dirt that just permeated your clothes from your dayhike? Wouldn't it be nice to hose down your feet with an outside shower or rinse off in the camper shower before going to bed. They're called creature comforts, something us tenters do without. Well, no mo for me. A/C and indoor plumbing..... yeah baby.

Ruby Jean, Orchid, jmkay1 and 3 others like this.
  14. SHANDA

SHANDA New Member

Thank you for posting that

Like you, I'm trying to get out as much as I possibly can. In Arizona, even up north where its 20-30 degrees cooler, it can get toasty. During winter months, it gets cold, even if i desert camp (which i don't).
    That's not even considering the dirt and sweat. Lol. I hunt, fish, hike, and kayak. sweat and dirt frequent those activities.

If I'm going to pony up cash to better my camping experience, I want the perks available.

15. DJS12354

DJS12354 Well-Known Member

Some thoughts to add: Think of buying a used pup the same way you would a used car. Look it over carefully, if unsure, take a knowledgeable friend along with you. Ask for all equipment to be demonstrated. Have the pup opened and closed in your presence.

From reading here on the forum, don't expect the NADA guides to be a lot of help. It may give you a very general idea for a starting point.

Be willing to travel some distance to find the right pup. For us it was 2 1/2 hours. I've read hear of 6 or more hours one way.

You will be spending your hard earned cash. Get the most for it. Good Luck!

SHANDA likes this.
  16. emoney

emoney Well-Known Member

What you want exists just keep searching until you find it. I came across a nice older pup today, ‘98 model that owner says was used 4 times and it looked like it, with a slide out and a “shoilette”...$1500.

Orchid and SHANDA like this.
  17. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Well-Known Member

18. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Wow pricey!

19. WVhillbilly

WVhillbilly Well-Known Member

Yea, that is the biggest model and has all of the toys in it.
    If you think that's expensive, don't ever price a Lance.

neighbormike likes this.
  20. SHANDA

SHANDA New Member

21. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I'll stick to my used 18 yo camper thank you , and keep the extra 21 k in the bank.

Orchid and SHANDA like this.