Dish Soap

Discussion in 'Camping Green' started by halosz, Jul 1, 2013.

1. tombiasi

tombiasi Well-Known Member

Please don't use the campfire for garbage.

2. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

If you are merely burning off paper waste, why not? I don't see the problem here. What am I missing?

MNTCamper and xxxapache like this.
  3. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

I consider it recycling

4. tombiasi

Because there could be food particles. Most federal campgrounds have a rule about burning garbage in the campfire pit.
    You say its just paper, and maybe it is for you,but I have seen some discussing fire pit debris. Bad in bear territory also.

5. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

I have seen what some folks throw in fire pits, and I personally would like to smack them upside the head for it. Beer cans, bottles, all sorts of plastics. THose are an absolute non starter. Haul that stuff out and dispose of or recycle properly.

Paper products however, never seen a problem with chucking htem in the fire pit, particularly paper plates.

HAVING SAID THAT. There are some paper plates that are partially plastic. I don't use them, do not advocate for using them, and would agree they need to stay out of the fire pit.

Food chunks is one thing. But particles? Like bread crumbs, or a smear of mustard. Shouldn't be a problem assuming you are nowhere near bear territory.

In bear territory all bets are off. I would think the best idea would be to use an old armored car as a conversion to an RV for bear country...

6. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

This discussion had me curious. Mostly due to the excessive use of plastics so many MFGs are fond of. Apparently recommendations have changed over the decades. I rather like Leave No Trace, and Tread Lightly, both organizations do a great deal for responsible land / outdoors use. https://lnt.org/burning-trash/ appears to have updated their recommendations and not even paper product waste should be burned in the fire pit. I am still not so sure of that one though. I use paper in a charcoal chimney all the time to get my BBQ started, or to get basic kindling started for a camp fire and it gets burned down to ash, and at least via the charcoal chimney, does not render flying embers...

7. tombiasi

My request was to "please" don't throw garbage in the fire pit. One can always come up with what they think are mitigating circumstances. I have no authority, that's why I said "please".

dbhost likes this.
  8. Patrick w

Patrick w Active Member

If you cook over your fire you will drop food grease and other bits in there. Just facts.
    I actually dry rubbed and smokes fish next to a camp fire overnight. No signs of any animals wanting a piece of that.
    Their usually smart enough to run from smoke and fire. Stick around long enough they join the smoke and fire!

9. tombiasi

I don't spill anything in my fire.

10. Patrick w

Patrick w Active Member

I am a meat over fire type variety. There is always juices and fats that drip. Heck sometimes a run away marshmallow.

xxxapache and Mark CASTELLANI like this.
  11. tombiasi

Its a little different having a piece of food fall in the fire and burn up than using the pit for garbage as was suggested.

12. Patrick w

Patrick w Active Member

I use duraflames sometimes it's really only one step above (or below) greasy plates. My opinion doesn't really count!

13. tombiasi

Why doesn't your opinion count?

14. Susan Premo

Susan Premo Well-Known Member

I found 4 knife blades one time in a fire pit, not small ones. Weird. I was using my plates from home for camping, now I use paper and trash them. Just feel better about it. I do use dawndish soap, I noticed a very seasoned camper using it too, so I figured, ok. I dump dish water on the dirt road or potty, depending on circumstances. Bears spotted nearby or thelike

15. Susan Premo

Susan Premo Well-Known Member

16. Katskamper

Katskamper Well-Known Member

i do a mix of paper & washable dishes. real silverware .
    thankfully i have a dog who does prewash!

2 pans hot water, wash /rinse. a few drops of reg Dawn is enough. ( the $1 size bottle lasted for 5 years!)
    the dawn foaming power spray does a great job for overnight pan soaking.

& side note
    wasps

fill up a pitcher or pan with super sudsy soap water & pitch it on their nest.
    they cant fly with suds on wings.
    they try & fall & hit ground.
    then you can stomp em dead.

park ranger did this for me after i got stung multiple times & inquired about wasp spray.