Dishes/organization with kids

Discussion in 'Camping with Kids/Pets' started by Shawna Kramer, May 21, 2020.

1. Shawna Kramer

Shawna Kramer New Member

Hi all! I'm relatively new to pop up camping. I have an 8, 5, and 1 year old. We have taken the pop up out a few times. But this last time I felt like I could not get organized with how to do dishes, wash bottles, keep food organized. We don't have anything fancy, meaning we have a small sink, but its really small so trying to do dishes is hard in it. And no other hot water options, etc. Anyway, any ideas on how everyone else does dishes, keeps things organized with kids in all ears! Thanks for the input!

2. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Go paper ...... as you said .... it is next to impossible to do dishes in a toy sink
    Or set up an outdoor kitchen so you have more room.

3. Toedtoes

Toedtoes Well-Known Member

A lot of folks use shelving and closet organizers to help things run smoother. A hanging shoe rack and hold bottles, cups, eating utensils, cooking utensils, etc. A shelving unit can sit on your counter top when at camp to hold food, etc.

As mentioned, you can use dish tubs to use as an outside kitchen to help with dishes (fill with hot water from sink or heat up water using a kettle) or do disposable.

Shawna Kramer and Sjm9911 like this.
  4. Shawna Kramer

Shawna Kramer New Member

Thanks- I have used mostly paper products so that has helped for sure. And this time I started trying to use the basin method to wash dishes, don't feel like I can really clean them well but I'm sure it will get easier!

HappyTraveler likes this.
  5. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

My old Jayco had what I called a spit sink. Really wasn't big enough to do much at all. So I resorted to what I did in my camping days use a dish tub and hot water to wash dishes. Since I didn't have a hot water heater it was a pot of water I put on the stove. Always boiled a lot of water for dishes, hot coco or tea. I also preferred to wash dishes outside to keep everything from getting wet inside the camper. Clean dishes were then put away inside. I always made one pot or frying pan meals so kept things real easy on the cooking end. I also only used dishes for dinner and maybe breakfast as lunch was mainly sandwiches on a paper towel or something you can throw away. Since I also did my cooking and eating mainly outside it really was no big adjustment for me or much back and forth. For bear and other critter reasons I kept food in the car anyway so again not much back and forth. Some people even make a chuckbox of sorts to use like a portable cabinet to put utensils, dishes etc. So you can keep all kitchen stuff together since storage is at a minimum. You can do what some do and create a hanging pantry or adjustable shelving unit. Check the mods section for ideas there. I do have a sweater organizer I use sometimes as a pantry.

6. generok

generok Well-Known Member

We found a plastic dishwashing tub that fit perfectly on the floor for storage when down. We put some cold water in tub, then filled with hot water from kettle on the stove and added soap. Washed dishes (cleanest to dirtiest order) and put the soapy dishes in the PUP sink to rinse from the faucet, then dried them. The empty bin stored soap, towels and scrub brushes when not in use.

BUT, we did use disposable to MAX extent in the PUP until it was just the wife and I, then we started doing more dishes.

I highly recommend a round shoe storage you can hang from the PUP roof. We used this one for spices, towels, etc:

[​IMG]

I ran some 550 cord between the screws on my roof vent, and then hung this thing from the cord when the roof was up. Got stuff out of the way and was soft and easy to store when the roof had to come down.

7. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

Yup, i went to paper mostly. And i rewash the dishes after the trip. It just seams you cant clean them perfectly while conserving water. Shoe organizers are a must. I used the pup door to hang mine. And use the grill a lot, saves on pots and pans to wash.

8. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I have some collapsible binds from Aldi. I set them up outside the camper by the outside shower. Clean in one, bleach/water rinse in the next and dry. However, I readily admit that paper plates works best given the space.

I did bring a countertop dishwasher for one extended trip. That was a treat! Unfortunately it is heavy and takes up valuable space for transport.

9. Sjm9911

Sjm9911 Well-Known Member

I got those also, i like some of the weird stuff that aldies caries for campers.

Shawna Kramer likes this.
  10. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Well-Known Member

We use a two tub method for cleaning dishes, one for washing and one for rinsing in water with a little bleach. The main thing is to have dishes that aren't too dirty to begin with, which is easy with a dog as the rinser. We get our dishes very clean. We heat our water on the stove while we eat dinner and only buse about two gallons total for cleaning.

11. Tom Jordan

Tom Jordan Active Member

For small jobs, we usually just use the sink inside with an added dish pan if necesssary. For large jobs, we set our folding table beside the outdoor shower on the side of the camper as a wash station. We have nested dish pans that travel nicely under a bench seat. The picture is of my wife as we finish washing up from Thanksgiving feast. (As an aside, those bowls in the picture were a gift and are amazing. Hard plastic, nesting, and with lids.) We make adjustments based on availability of gray water drains or not. FC4F8046-DF4F-462F-A00C-7BB86B9A9E1A.jpeg 095732D6-AC49-45F6-98D4-02352FD50787.jpeg

Brian K and Shawna Kramer like this.
  12. CamperChrissy

CamperChrissy Well-Known Member

Another idea is to use a separate sink table outside. Here is a link to an old thread discussing the idea. The very last post in it is mine and has pictures of our sink table.

https://www.popupportal.com/threads...aning-table-into-a-camp-kitchen.109883/page-2

This worked pretty well, but was a lot of extra stuff to bring along. We don't use it with our new PUP, since it has a nice big sink inside that we use.

13. firepit

firepit Well-Known Member

Lots of paper plates and plastic utensils....We cook outside so the few things we have to wash
    we have a collapsible wash tub for dishes and pack a 5 gal water jug for that.
    When we aren't washing dishes we fill it for washing hands.

14. HappyTraveler

HappyTraveler Well-Known Member

We were tent campers for 30+ years before we got out ntu pup last year. We also are not big on cooking, especially when we go camping. So we keep meals super simple, foil packs around the campfire were very popular and amazing all the variations you can come up with. When we did have dishes to wash, we used a plastic bin and something like this image to hold the dish soap.
    Capture.JPG

We then would heat up water while we were eating dinner in a big kettle for the wash up. Dishes were scraped and wiped down as much as possible before going into the dish pan. Would then add a little cold water poured over to get them wet. Soap/wash them with the above sponge. Kind of rinse off the dishes in the pan and set aside. Dump the water in the pan, put all the "kind of rinsed off" dishes back in the pan and rinse with fresh cold water and bleach. Dump water again.
    Pour hot water over all the dishes in the pan and remove from pan to drain and dry.
    Discard the water.
    This whole process would have been easier with two pans, but we tried to keep what we brought to a very bare minimum, so that's why the method I described.

Shawna Kramer and Sjm9911 like this.
  15. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Well-Known Member

An extra dishpan, one that nests with the other one you have will take up virtually no room and will weigh less than 1/2 lb. Will make your dish washing life much easier.

16. HappyTraveler

HappyTraveler Well-Known Member

True, but had the one and never thought about it.
    Now, with the pup, we have a two bin sink inside and have two plastic bins for outside. Still not doing much cooking though. We definitely aren't foodies. ;)
    We're mostly traveling around and hiking or sight seeing or some other activity.
    Honestly, we did mostly sandwiches, foil meals, hotdogs/burger on the campfire and eating off paper (not styrofoam or plastic) plates/cups when tent camping. So most of the cleanup was just some utensils and the pot/pan that might have gotten used.
    When we did backpacking trips, our gear and food got really simple and stripped down.
    Good times! :)

17. Mere

Mere New Member

Other people have already mentioned, but I got 2 collapsible dish pans/drains from Aldi. (1 to wash & 1 to rinse) They are fabulous. & then just drain them & stack pans, plates, etc. to dry. Also, IMHO, get the 8 & 5 yr old to help!

Sotovoce and Shawna Kramer like this.
  18. pandpcamper

pandpcamper Lifetime camper, newer to pup

When I was a girl scout we had big mesh bags that could be dipped in a huge pan of hot water to rinse and sanitize the dishes, etc, that were in it.

19. Boopie Nuovo

Boopie Nuovo Member

I have a two section foldable bin I have used for dishes since tent camping. Like other folks have said, I heat water while eating. I heat a lot of water because I like to rinse with hot water, too! But wash in one side and dump into other side that has warm water but then rinse with hot. A hold over from camping is a mesh bag that the dishes go into to dry. I hang that up and am then suppose to put the dishes away after that. Since it's just the two of us I usually find myself "forgetting" to do that part, ha, ha!

Shawna Kramer and HappyTraveler like this.
  20. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

I still kept mine after girl scouts. Always figured I might want to use it,and I do. I use it a lot more on tent camping trips though, but occasionally with the popup.

Shawna Kramer and HappyTraveler like this.