disposable or reusable?

Discussion in 'Camping Green' started by edgeuk8tr, Oct 7, 2012.

1. Singler3360

Singler3360 New Member

I'm surprised so many people have posted they use disposable some or all of the time. How hard is it to wash a few knives and forks? What are you teaching your kids while camping about long-term sustainability? I don't expect everyone to be perfect stewards for everything all of the time, but using disposable dinnerware while camping, really? Perhaps it's time to slowdown and clean up after ourselves responsibly.

PointyCamper likes this.
  2. bflentje

bflentje Member

The easiest thing in the world to do is to judge other people.

3. Toolmaker13

Toolmaker13 Member

Maybe instead of bitching about how many people are destroying the environment, try sounding a little less abrasive and selling the fact that we should all try to be a little more environmentally conscious in our lives. All it takes is one over the top pushy person to ruin a thread. I also use disposable dinnerware, but I don't wash them, I burn it in the fire so it goes to the atmosphere. Don't want to fill the landfills!!!!

4. Halford

Halford Well-Known Member

I don't want to pollute the landfill by throwing away disposables, don't want to pollute air by burning disposables and don't want to pollute groundwater by washing plates and dinnerware so I just let my dog lick all plates and dinnerware clean! [:D]

Toolmaker13 likes this.
  5. Dingit

Dingit Well-Known Member

That works pretty well, Halford, until you put your dog on a grain-free diet for allergies. If you don't want to go grain-free yourself, you have to either find a different way to clean them or be kept up allllllll night by dog scratching.

We do use some disposable paperware that we'd compost if we used it at home (which we wouldn't). We have a recycling trash and regular trash in our camper. Considering we have about 2'x6' of floor space, adding a can for compostables would be challenging.

We don't burn stuff. Dog isn't the only one with allergies.

6. Lee's Alite

Lee's Alite Member

We carry both but use our enamelware as much as possible .

7. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

My answer has to be, it depends.

My big rule is absolutely positively NO PLASTICS touching hot food. This is a hard and fast rule due to outgassing plastics do when hot.

I use if it is just my wife and I, our Stansport enameled steel dishware set, and stainless steel tumblers. We wash with CampSuds and call it good.

I should mention we are still tent campers, but we do have a popup, just a presently busted tow vehicle. The interior in the PU and much of our tent gear tends to have a blue / gray theme. So we went with blue enamel dishes.

If we are camping with a group, well I can't provide dishes for everyone, and so we tend to chip in for paper plates, however I do carry extra sierra cups in the gear to allow folks to have oatmeal in the mornings etc...

I am NOT anti paper plate in the slightest though. At least when used for dry foods, they can be reused to help start the camp fire.

I never camp within 100ft of a waterway, so I am disconcerned about gray water. Most places we camp gray water with some campsuds is fine and even helpful.

I do use a stainless steel scrubber ball thing to scrub cookware though instead of say SOS pads, but that also serves to protect cast iron from soap...

AndreD likes this.
  8. AndreD

AndreD Member

this is almost identical to my camping style as well. Except I don’t use enamelled steel, my dishes and cutlery and cups - and cookware for that matter - are all stainless steel... I like their durability, safety, and as an old hold over from wilderness camping days I can always toss them in the fire or boiling water to sanitize them or thoroughly clean them. I also use either dr bronners or camp suds. No plastics touching hot food either, maybe a trail snack when glass isn’t practical.

9. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

I wanted stainless steel, but I really couldn't find stainless dishware when I went to get a second set for my wife. I have a plate, bowl, and nesting cutlery from my single days but that won't fly as a married guy... Thus the enameled steel. Honestly Enameled steel also checks the "It's pretty" check box for my wife as well. I went WAY out of my way to source up blue / blue gingham stuff for the kitchen dining area to make her happy...

10. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

We've kept experimenting, this will be the 7th season (how did that happen!) in our TT, so we have a better idea of what works for us, what doesn't. We still use paper plates for some meals, we don't really have a place to carry large dinner-size plates and use them seldom enough that paper works. We also use paper plates for food prep, we can throw away the raw meat contaminated surface. For his year, I bought Fiestaware's new luncheon size bowl plate - it fits in our pantry and will be good for a lot of our meals; we also have Fiesta deep bowls for stoups, stews, oatmeal, and the like.
    We still have our Tervis tumblers, but Yeti tumblers have replaced a couple; added a Fiesta tall mug too - whether I use the Yeti or Fiesta for may morning tea depends on temperature, and whether it's a driving day.
    We conserve water, so try to do dishes once a day. Once a day is pretty much a given, since we have cookware to do. We'll be camped 6 or 7 nights without a water source on one trip, for example.
    I gave up trying to use cloth napkins years ago, so those are paper. We also use paper towels, including wiping out cookware before washing, it helps with water usage if there's not excess food debris in the dishpan.
    It's all a balance, there is no perfect, one way.

11. Indiobravo

Indiobravo Active Member

12. dbhost

dbhost Well-Known Member

Indiobravo likes this.