Dissecting the Telescoping Posts

Discussion in 'Lift Systems' started by carriermnky, Mar 20, 2017.

1. carriermnky

carriermnky Member

Dissecting the Telescoping Posts
    I'm trying to figure out how it works along with the spring and what parts I really need to replace? I know for sure one of the images you'll see the PO had hacked the metal that slips into the roof bracket.

Also, I didn't have sides to the roof so I can't see in other pictures how the 1/2" sides cradle on the lip just outside that post? Does that make sense?

How does the spring actually work with the posts? You'll see I have the springs still and I know the cable has broken so I bought one ready to install.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. carriermnky

carriermnky Member

bump

3. Antipodes

Antipodes Call me Paul

Ok not able to help with the attachment to the roof as I am not familiar with that version.
    But again search for Goshen lift system upper attachment and you may get lucky.

The springs (you have currently extended) go inside the lift post and move the centre up and as it is doing this each extension moves up with it.
    The lift post sits on the floor above the spring (When you put the lift post back in, make sure it is properly centred over the spring)
    As far as replacing the cable, there was a great write up you could download in the manuals section, but since the move this does not seem to be available.
    Do a search here and on the net for Goshen cable replacement and you will get lots of hits with good information.

Looks like you have your work cutout for you!

4. carriermnky

carriermnky Member

Hey Antipodes (Paul) (Chelle here) thanks for any information.

I'm so happy I downloaded that doc before the break of the links. But the search tool works great now, plus google takes me back here too, thanks for the reminder when it comes time to install.

I think a red flag went off for me when you said, "The springs (you have currently extended)"... um I don't have those purposely extended. So as I picture it I think they are to be pushed down inside the tubing under the subflooring as the posts go back on, correct?

5. Antipodes

Antipodes Call me Paul

Correct.
    But I would suggest you take them all out and leave them until you do the replace of the cable and then insert them in through the bottom.
    I am guessing here but not sure on your exact system but does it have the extra cables and chains? Or just the one cable from the drum which goes through the master tube then around a pulley then back into the master tube?
    When you go to do the whole job make sure you have some grease available and grease up the springs well.
    The lift posts externally can be lubed with a dry lube like silicon. (this makes sure you don't get grease on your canvas)