DIY - Cook Surface Leveler

J Starsky

Super Active Member
Aug 3, 2017
East Central MN
One main problem I always find is that the grills need that finite amount of adjustment to keep an egg from running away! GRRRR I'm usually set up for 5+ days in a row, and I switch off from a table top grill and my Blackstone. You can twist a bolt down in three corners, making it easy to level. No more run away eggs. No more corners of boxes sticking under the side of your grills.
DSC01182.JPG

I also added wood runners on to our 50 gallon blue storage bins, off in the background. The bins actually slant, to look sleek but left us zero safe place to set a bin or coffee cup without falling. The planks are leveled and bolted down to the bin top. They open and close perfect.
DSC01181.JPG

This was 4x4 piece of 1/2in sanded 1 side oak handy panel. Fasteners from around the garage. Stained and sanded twice. A few coats of Poly Coated. Menard's lady helped me pick it out - really haven't done any staining projects. Said heat and sun and water or grease should be be fine on it. I've been out three times this summer, works good [:D][:D][:D][:D][:D]

DSC01178.JPG
[?]What do ya think huh? We just walk the bins out from the TT as the 1st thing unloaded.

Bin on the left has all the pots, pans, serving trays, foil, paper goods, spices - everything cooking. The right Bin is for my Grills. I fit a tabletop grill, dual burner coleman, the Blackstone wrapped in a towel - plus the Grill Leveler, couple propane tanks, tea kettle and grill tools o'plenty! [CK] [MOD]

Sjm9911

Super Active Member
May 31, 2018
Nj
I could deal until that blackstone showed up. Blasted thing will let 1/2 an egg escape if you don't watch it [B)]
I need level for frying pans, and thw blackstone. 1st time out with it i spayed the top with oil, turned around for the meat and the oil was in the scrap pan hole thing. Lol. Pankakes are even worse. Not fun to level after you start cooking.

nineoaks2004

Every meal is a picnic and every Day is a holiday
Oct 15, 2006
Dukes, Fl
My outside table has adjustable legs which work really well for pebbles and I.
Prior to finding the table I used thin wooden tapered wedges from Lowes or homemade by me.

jmkay1

2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah
Oct 10, 2013
Northern Virginia
That's a great idea. So much easier to adjust that way then pulling out the trailer leveling blocks for the picnic table especially for only minor adjustments.

zak99b5

Feb 21, 2019
I was just going to epoxy some nuts sunk into the wood, but those might be better.

I used to put those on the end of an arrow, points forward, when I was a kid hunting squirrels in the woods. Didn't work to well, but arrows didn't get stuck in tree trunks lol.

J Starsky

Super Active Member
Aug 3, 2017
East Central MN
I sunk them in after the poly, and a dipped the edges as I sucked them in - a little too good cause one is a little sticky when I run the bolt in. Reminded me of putting new lug studs in Jeep wheels LOL They'll never drop out now.

Sneezer

Super Active Member
Aug 8, 2015
DFW, TX
Very nice. The Blackstone has adjustable feet though, at least mine does. I rarely need to use shims to level. I also carry a small torpedo level with my chuckbox. After cooking on the big 3-burner griddle with scouts I started carrying one to assist in getting things level. I also have aluminum camp tables that have adjustable legs so I can get it pretty close, then fine tune with the griddle. I also have a set of Lynx copycat blocks I got at a garage sale that do a great job when I need to level the camp kitchen or other tables that do not have levelers built into them.

Might try and do something similar out of aluminum though. I have some scrap square tubing in the garage, might make a good covid project!