DIY crank handle

Discussion in 'My Favorite Mods, Tips, Tricks (and Blunders!)' started by Mojeb, Mar 25, 2020 at 9:07 PM.

1. Mojeb

Mojeb New Member

Hey guys! Have a 92 Coleman fleetwood. I’ve looked at buying a spare crank handle because I “lost “ one at a camp site for a while but found it after a long search.

well went to buy another, it’s $30!!Screw that!! So I built one out of pvc piping. In a pinch, this works fantastic !!!

I’ll be posting directions on how to make one later, also if anyone else is interested and not handy, I can make extras. Thinking like $10 shipped.let me know what you think ! i even made a sleeve for the handle part so it doesn’t burn the hand when cranking.

megcabra likes this.
  2. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

I am surprised PVC is strong enough

BelchFire and Sjm9911 like this.
  3. Mojeb

Mojeb New Member

So i used pvc glue to hold the joints together. The pvc schedule 40 is pretty thick. ill try it tomorrow once it’s cured. It should do the trick in a pinch.this will strictly be used as a backup if i ever misplace my metal one that my pop up came with.

4. Mojeb

Mojeb New Member

Sad news .... about halfway up , the pvc failed under pressure . Soooo Looks like back to square one .thinking maybe whose clamp around the end will make it stronger

5. Wrenchgear

Wrenchgear Near Elmira, Southern Ontario

Yeah, I think you're going to have to make it out of metal if you want it to be reliable at all. Just use regular 1/2" black pipe and loctite the joints together so they don't try to come apart while winding if you think that might be a problem. I think it would hold together fine when you crank them tight though.
    Here's one I made as my spare, (the black one on the bottom), although its a different style than yours. I just made this up out of junk I had laying around.

Winch crank #2.JPG

6. Muller 5

Muller 5 Active Member

Better than the DIY my pup's po devised. I have a golden lift with a square socket. Like the one above. My pup's po used a flat piece of metal and a pair of vice grips. It was tearing the socket up. That was one of the first things I fixed on the pup.

7. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

If I couldn't weld, I would just make it out of a straight piece of pipe or conduit. I'd cut the slits on one end and drill a hole straight through on the other end, then stick a long screw driver through it for a handle.

I believe I could also fashion a deep well socket to do the job.

8. Mojeb

Mojeb New Member

Yea i have a welder. Might gather some scrap metal up