DIY Power Dollie

Discussion in 'Camper Storage / Winterizing & De-Winterizing' started by Tentless, Aug 30, 2010.

1. Tentless

Tentless New Member

Hi
    Don't think anyone out there has done this - if you have let me know!
    I am going to convert a dead snowblower to a powered dollie.
    I want to be able to store my PUP in the back yard - there is a nice grade -- I been looking at the Parkit360 - nice peace of kit, but I don't have 900 - hoping to DIY for under 300$.

This is the Parkit360
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3DXE-uZIb4k&feature=related
    You can see the winch controller they have just put on the handle.

Looking to get an old dead chain driven snow blower with nice knobby tires. I am looking at some used winches rated 1500lb 40-60$ but I'm thinking to stay on the safe side and get something rated 3000lbs- Can-Tire has one 100$+tax - I don't like the thought of new as I will be voiding the warranty! If I go with 1500lb I think it will be safe once I have the spocket sizes put in it should move a tank -very slowly as long as it keeps better traction then the tank [:D]

I am now sourcing old snow blowers and winches now. Stay tuned!

I kinda have a plan in my head but would welcome suggestions

Cheers
    Patrick

2. Tentless

Tentless New Member

Re: DIY Power Dolly

Well - one item on the list down - I have not tested it yet, but I have picked up a used 1500lb winch for 40$
    Tomorrow I am going to look at an an old Ariens snow blower for 70$ with nice knobby tires.
    Site has be started to ducument process.

http://patrike.synthasite.com/the-trailer-tug.php

3. Tentless

Tentless New Member

Well - things are rolling along nicely - I picked up the snowblower tonight - heavy little beast, which I like, heavy means sturdy, I hope!

Cheers
    Patrick

4. Tentless

Tentless New Member

Started taking the blower apart. Starter still works!
    Overall I am pleased - even though it is not chain driven as I was told! The chassis box is nice heavy 1/8" metal for welding on metal. The gearing inside is nice and hefty.

Cheers
    Patrick

5. stanz

stanz No matter where you go, there you are.

I built something like that years ago to move a garden cart around my church. It worked great but then I got an FEL so I no longer needed it. The one issue you will run into is the fact that the axle is locked and both wheels turn in unison. That makes for tough turns.

If you don't need both wheels driven you can remove the locking bolt and only drive one wheel. At least you can with most types of snowblower.

6. slowfatknitter

slowfatknitter Member

Sounds like an awful lot of work. Couldn't you just use a garden tractor? Unless you want to tinker? Must be a guy thing!? [XK]

7. Tentless

Tentless New Member

Stanz - I was worried about that as well - figured that is why the Parkit360 wheels where close together - but when I a have the wheels engaged they pivot fine on the spot - not sure if that is becuse that is the way it is suppose to work or that I don't have it hooked up to the the drive motor yet. When I turn the pully both wheels engage!

Cheers
    Patrick

8. Tentless

Tentless New Member

Hi SFK - in part you are right - In the DIY world that is how it works - allot of physical input input when you don't have the money to buy new.

A little tractor may have done the job - but then I would have to store that as well - then there is the maintenance of that - I don't like working on gas motors - mine will be small for storage and maintenance very little.

But you hit the biggest point right on - guy thing - I love to play around in the garage with the grinder and welder[:D]

This may or may not work out - big experiment for me - but I am having fun trying -wish me luck!

9. Stiiinatent

Stiiinatent seasond camper now with 2 cubs

An idea for the turning: if you construct the hitch ball on a wheel that swivels then attach this assembly to the snow-thrower you would be able to lift and pivot the snow-thrower while keeping the tongue elevated.

10. Tentless

Tentless New Member

Hi Stiiinatent

Not sure if I follow - "lazy Susan" horizontal swivel - if that is correct then not sure why I would need it to do that or maybe you mean vertical swivel/pivot, if that is the case I will be able to pivot the ball vertically using the handle bars and wheel axis.

Let me know - if I can make it and it is going to help I might try it.

Cheers
    Patrick

11. Stiiinatent

My concern is where are you mounting the hitch ball? If it not directly over the wheels the tongue weight of your pup may drive the "nose" of the blower into the ground making it difficult to turn. If you mount a swiveling wheel (think office chair but bigger) to the front of the blower with the hitch ball directly over it you would be able to lift the blower by the handles then swing the blower around until the nose is pointing in the direction you want the tongue to travel. This will allow you to keep both wheels engaged for more pulling/pushing power (you stated a "decent" grade). I am envisioning a tricycle the handle bars are the ball hitch and the seat and back wheels are the snow thrower. I don't know if this clarifies anything for you if you want send me your email via PM and I will send you a sketch.
    ~DRP

12. Tentless

Tentless New Member

Hey Stiiinatent - I get it - but the trailer hitch will be directly over wheels - just as recommended in the Parkit360 design. At least thats the plan! Thanks for the suggestion - I will definately be keeping that idea in mind in case the "plan" needs altering.

Cheers
    Patrick

13. Stiiinatent

Tentless,
    I guess I'm just not picturing your idea. The parkit has an electric off-set motor where as most snow throwers have the engine directly over the wheels on top of a gear/drive box at least that's how it is on my 1966 ariens. Yes my snow thrower is a year older then I am!

14. stanz

Two points to cover:

1) Guy DIY things

Duh, that's what guys are for! We have to figure out ways to do stuff that makes sense only to guys. Why do you think McGuyver was a guy? If it was simple we wouldn't do it, if we see a good idea we figure there must be a better way to do it with junk we have laying around. Why spend $300 to buy something when we can spend a day or two and do it for $75 or free?! My dolly cost me nothing when I did it.

That said, when I move my trailers around the yard I either use my hand trolley or my 1984 Snapper tractor.

2) Leverage

You don't need to put the ball over the wheels, actually that's a bad idea. I prefer to be able to tilt the dolly under the trailer and lift it up with the dolly. The long handles on the snowblower give you PLENTY of leverage.

My manual dolly is similar to the picture below. I can easily lift a 300 pound tongue weight with little effort.

[​IMG]

15. Tentless

Tentless New Member

Stiiinatent - I have removed the the blowers engine- that is getting replaced with an offset winch motor - only using the chasis and gear box.

Stanz -- I love you dude(that's the beer talking [:D]) - we are kindred spirits. I know the ball does not have to be directly over the wheels for best leverage but I think it is for better control of the trailer - I will be able to tilt it under to get it in to the hitch then leverage it up even with hitch over the wheels.

16. Stiiinatent

Tentless now it makes sense. I guess when I read the part about the starter still working I assumed you were going to use the engine to propel the pup mover. Are you going to have an on board battery?

17. Tentless

Tentless New Member

Sorry - just meant to point out I have a good working starter - I am going to sell parts - going to take to a local repair shop and see if they will give me 50 bucks for the lot, starter, front auger, busted engine for other misc parts.

Not sure if I am going to do an onboard bat or just us the trailer. probably keep it simple and use the trailer battery.

I took a look in the gear box tonight - nasty! I did not know it had a friction clutch/tranny!! I will not be trusting that. I have 2 options -
    1) tie into one of the smaller gears that the from the clutch side.
    2) gut the whole thing and ad a spocket to the main shaft of the wheels.

Option 1 is easier but option 2 I think will be more dependable and give better gear ratio. If I gut the other stuff for option 2 I can put the winch inside. Tomorrow is another day - good night

Cheers
    Patrick

18. stanz

You would be surprised just how well a friction drive tranny works. My 1980s Snappers (Built for Snapper by Massey.) Have a mix of Snapper and Massey technology. Snapper friction drive tied to a Massey two-speed rear.

If I put one of them in low gear I can tow ANYTHING so long as the wheels don't spin. There's a picture of one towing my Kodiak 235 Hybrid on this site. I also towed a Ford LGT garden tractor with the snowblower stuck in the down position. It made a mess of the back lawn but it towed it like it was raised.

My dolly used the gas engine since it was there and it worked fine. I actually made two in two weeks since the first one worked so well. I got the snowblowers for free on freecycle in the summer.

19. Tentless

Tentless New Member

Hey Stanz -- to late - I have gutted it - going with option 2 .

20. Tentless

Tentless New Member

Some assembly required

Hi - a little update - a wee bite behind - still hoping to a mock up tacked together and running by end of day today and then see if I like what I see. I don't have heavy enough flat bar to make my tailer ball mount.