DIY roof rack.

Discussion in 'Cargo Carriers / Bike Racks / Other Storage Option' started by DougD, May 17, 2020.

1. DougD

DougD New Member

I’m looking for a system to mount bikes and canoe. 2007 Fleetwood Cheyenne with tracks on roof. Looking to do myself. Thanks

akriot and bheff like this.
  2. Raycfe

Raycfe Waterford Ct.

Welcome.png
    Caution the tracks on your roof are prone to leak ........ you want to check this before doing anything.

3. bheff

bheff Well-Known Member

Welcome.
    If you use the "forum" tab and scroll down. There is a group called "carriers/bike racks and other storage options"
    Start there. Also head your profile and put your year make and model in your signature line. Itll help others in future posts know what you have and be able to better answer your questions.

Del Kelso likes this.
  4. Rusty2192

Rusty2192 Well-Known Member

You could use anything as a crossbar from as simple as a 2x4, unistrut, or even black iron pipe. Steel unistrut is kind of heavy, but is relatively cheap, easy to find, and easy to work with. Aluminum unistrut would be a lot lighter but is more expensive and harder to acquire.

You could always just go with a commercial rack like the Sport Rack or Swagman that would bolt right to your factory tracks. Those run around $120 online.

Also don’t forget to keep an eye on Marketplace and others sales places for used racks for cheap.

Hearty Sarsoza likes this.
  5. Del Kelso

Del Kelso New Member

If you are a wood worker, you can make very strong cross bars out of oak and attach them to the slide rails in your PUP with T-Slot Bolts. Apply 3 or more coats of Spar Urethane / Varnish and they will last several years before needing to be sanded and re-finished. (if you store the PUP inside, they will last for a decade.) you can buy fork mounts from bike parts suppliers which can then be easily mounted to the cross bars, or buy bike mounts from Yakima, Thule or other car top carrier solution providers. Source the Oak from a hardwood supplier, not a big box store. T-Slot Bolts should be readily available on-line or try Rockler.com

i wouldn't try and raise the roof with a bunch of bikes and boats on top...that is a lot of added weight for the lift system.

6. STLCarey

STLCarey New Member

I have used a modified carrage bolt on the same camper.
    . 20200627_125725.jpg 20200627_125719.jpg
    I also am in St. Louis if you need help.

Del Kelso likes this.
  7. Del Kelso

Del Kelso New Member

great idea modifying carriage bolts.