Do Any of you homeschool?

Discussion in 'Camping with Kids/Pets' started by Dana in Bama, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Dana in Bama

Dana in Bama New Member

We do.

I was thinking about a trip in the Spring, going around to battlegrounds, etc here in the south...

If you homeschool, how much of your camping plays a part in that?

[CP]

2. jmcdtucson

jmcdtucson New Member

We homeschool.

It affects what camping we do a lot.
    #1 Since we own our schedule, we can plan trips when school is in because it is much less crowded.
    #2 We belong to a group of homeschoolers so we have big group camping trips that are a LOT of fun.

As far as the schooling, our kids learn a lot while camping and we try to tie it in with other things we are learning. Everything from the trip up (games involving alphabet, reading, etc. plus doing artwork) to the time there is good learning time.

Good luck!

3. Dana in Bama

Dana in Bama New Member

I love being on my own schedule!

We are business owners as well and I work 1/2 day in the business, other half schooling this kids. Now that we have the pup, I am going to get us going and seeing some things.

I read about a family : hubby's job kept him traveling a lot during the week, so they bought a RV, wife and kids just started traveling with him. The kids were preteens/teens and mom required them to interview at least one person during their stay at each campground. They kept a journal of all the people they had met, etc. How many PSed kids do you think experience that?

We are starting school Monday. We are going camping this weekend to some caves. I'm thinking cool off as well as a learning experience [;)]

4. Hardee5

Hardee5 New Member

We homeschool thru a local charter school. Last spring we spent a week along the coast near Monterey and toured the aquarium, a lighthouse, the Carmel Mission and some other local historical sights. and the school picked up the tab for the CG and the kids admissions to everyplace we went! [:D] They have another trip planned this fall, but they are staying in a different place each night with about 3-4hrs of driving each day to the new place. We're going to opt out of that one even thought they are going to some great places (Ashland, OR Shakespeare Theater, Crater Lake, Lava Bed National Park).

5. northernmum

northernmum just starting out!

We don't - but I would like to. Actually, my dream is to buy a bigger tt (and a tv - with what money I don't know [;)] and travel North America with my family for a year and road school the kids. Will it happen? not so sure, DH has been slow enough to get on board with buying a PUP [LOL]

I think that being a family with a flexible schedule would be amazing. My oldest starts grade 3 this year, and I'm already annoyed with how much the school year drives our life.

6. K_and_I

K_and_I Member

7. fallsrider

fallsrider Active Member

I'm a big home schooling advocate. We have friends and my sister that home school, and it works out so great for the kids. Combining that with camping would be great.

We will most likely home school DS (now 3), but my job is local and doesn't require any travel at all. I would have to take vacation to combine trips. For the family that has a traveling Dad/husband and they tag along in an RV, how great would that be? I'd do that in a NY minute, as the saying goes. Of course, you would want a pretty decent sized RV for the wife and kids to be in there so much.

Some good friends of ours have the best setup. The Mom home schools the two girls (12 & 14). They had a large spare bedroom upstairs. They put in 3 desks and decorated it up to look somewhat like a classroom. They have a computer in there, and every morning, they "go to school" by going into that room and taking care of all their schooling. When their work is done, they "leave school." They also have a small class C RV. Last year, in the fall, they went to Mt. Rushmore, seeing sights along the way for 2 weeks. This year, they're going to Niagara Falls Labor Day weekend and the week following. So yes, there is a lot of flexibility if the husband has the vacation time.

8. Liv

Liv New Member

We homeschool!
    And yes, camping does play a big part. I prefer camping in the Spring and Fall to avoid the crowds. We just bought a pup, so during the winter, after Morning lessons will be "Shop Class" as will resurect this thing. :D I am soooo excited!
    Lov
    Liv

9. dgarbers

dgarbers New Member

Yes, we've been homeschooling since day 1 with all 3 of our kids. We bought a pup in the Fall of '08, and last summer, we went on a 3+ week journey / adventure to Springfield, IL / New Salem for the Lincoln Bicentennial. That was the first leg of the trip and made a great stop on our way to the Badlands, SD, the Black Hills, Mt. Rushmore, Custer State Park, and Devil's Tower, WY. We came home via the Mall of America and WI, where we visited family that we haven't seen in several years.

It was a great trip. We left GA around Aug. 20ish, which meant that most of the places were not too crowded, not a lot of ill-behaved kids at museums, etc.

Our 3 really get a lot out of each museum trip, so they were learning the whole way. It was an awesome trip, and hope to do something like that again next year. I wish that "out west" wasn't so far away from GA. The Grand Canyon is definitely on our list of places we'd like to go.

Taking our kids to see the great sights of this fantastic country is why we bought a pup. A hotel room for 5 can be difficult to find and $$, so a camper is wonderful for traveling to most places. DH is 6'9", so he doesn't fit in most other RV's and we liked tent camping (only did that for 2 years or so before buying the pup), so the pup was the best choice for us. We love it.

We also love the flexibility of traveling when other families are in school, we don't camp or travel during the typical "spring break" or other holiday type weeks. That does sometimes limit the programs that are offered at places, but we usually find a ranger to talk to, so that isn't too much of a problem.

I've been "offline" here, trying to get stuff done during my "we're not in school" time, so that's why I haven't posted or been online a lot. Feel free to PM me. It's nice to meet families who understand the homeschool "thing."

10. SmilinBeard

SmilinBeard Member

We've been homeschoolers for 20 years. Our philosophy was that we would reevaluate it for each child [we have six] each year. As a result some years, when all were homeschooled it gave us more flexibility as to when we camped.

Camping has also influenced our children's homeschool experience as well. We live in the mid Atlantic so we have combined camping with civil war battlefield studies [Antietam, Gettysburg]. We also use camping as part of their science [tree, rock and animal identification, ranger programs], phys ed [hiking, swimming]. Math [orienteering]. It has always been an informal thing though.

We have one daughter who is homeschooling high school. This October we have a trip planned with stops to study architecture, French and Indian War and possibly art.

11. snickers

snickers New Member

Yes we do! We found ourselves even homeschooling when the girls were in public school. So we yanked em, and the learning from home far outweighs any public school. We spend about 4 hours a day during the "traditional" schedule and about 2-3 hours every other day during the summer, including camping. Catching and cleaning a fish can be a great science class! [;)]

12. dgarbers

dgarbers New Member

13. NJGuy

NJGuy Active Member

Home schooling is very popular in Utah. The state readily makes lesson plans available and confirms academic progress.

14. dgarbers

dgarbers New Member

Hs-ing is very easy in GA, and we've noticed more people at hs shows, too. With all of the budget cut-backs here, I won't be surprised to see more people hs-ing.

15. Hacksaw

Hacksaw Active Member

DD1 and DS1 have been home schooled since day 1. DD1 is 15 and took a college entrance exam today. DS1 is 13 and according to the "standards" could be a senior in HS. I wish I could take the credit for this but I can't.Their mother (my ex) has worked very hard to get them there.I do have input and opportunities to help in certain areas as she knows nothing of mechanics,woodworking,robotics machinery etc... They live 1250 miles from me so as you can imagine my input is limited.I am a proponent of home schooling and even more when you are talking about including camping/nature studies in the curriculum. I urge everyone who reads this thread and has children to read "Last Child In The Woods" by Richard Louve...you will start packing for your next trip immediately

16. SmilinBeard

SmilinBeard Member

I just reserved a copy at my library.

17. tampajim

tampajim New Member

I have some friends who left this week for a year of traveling in a RV. They will be home schooling while on the road.

http://www2.tbo.com/content/2010/aug/02/021149/valrico-family-see-america---rv/

18. Dana in Bama

Dana in Bama New Member

That is so neat! Such freedom....I am going to keep up with this family and read their blog often, thanks for posting!

19. hstrymkrs

hstrymkrs New Member

We homeschool all four of our children. We specifically bought the PUP to travel and go to historical places and spend more time with the children. Our spring and fall seasons are centered around school work and how to fit in the camping and make it relate. We school year round with frequent breaks. Hopefully, the children will look back and enjoy their memories of family, school, and camping. We are always on the look out for other homeschool families when we go out. It adds to the adventure of it all.

The James Gang

20. moneeleann

moneeleann New Member

Ahh I'm so jealous! I wish I could homeschool! Unfortunately, we can't live without both incomes. But I do do a lot of schooling at home, hard not to, since I'm a teacher!