Do axles get "tired"?

Discussion in 'Tires / Brakes / Bearings / Axles' started by Andy G., Aug 15, 2019.

1. Andy G.

Andy G. Member

I've noticed that my popup seems to be sitting lower to the ground than it used to. This is evident by the scraping of the underside as I back the camper into my driveway. The popup is a 1992 Starcraft Starflyer, and has a Dexter torson-flex axle. As far as I know, I have not overloaded the weight rating of the axle. The camper has the original wheel and tire size, so I know that isn't a factor. Has anyone else experienced this?
    Thanks!
    Andy

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019
  2. the-one1

the-one1 New Member

The axles themselves, no. But the springs do wear out. Whether they are leaf springs or rubber as in your torson axle. Over time the rubber breaks down and wears out, thus making it sag.

tombiasi likes this.
  3. friartuck

friartuck Well-Known Member

The axle on my Bayside did 'flatten out' probably by being overloaded by the PO. (Upgraded to a 5k rated axle and did the spring over conversion.)

4. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Yes, torsion axles do get tired. The rubber either wears out and the trailer sits lower or the rubber gets hard and no longer moves, which cause a rough ride for the trailer.

5. kitphantom

kitphantom Well-Known Member

The rubber in the axle on our '15 TT deteriorated after 3 years. The spring shop that made our new axle said that it's not unusual to have that happen in our climate. Since it's common for rubber and rubber-type materials to crack and die in a fairly short time, I believe him. (We just had to replace the rubber latches on our Canyon cooler - they sent new ones under warranty - after maybe 5 years.)

6. MNTCamper

MNTCamper Active Member

A torflex axle from 1992 could easily be worn out.

7. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Active Member

for longevity and no sag stick with leaf springs, they are great until they (infrequently) break

8. eriefisher

eriefisher Member

It's actually not that uncommon to see broken leafs. I would bet that if you were to take the time and really look you would find about 1 in 20 would have at least a cracked lead. It usually happens at the locating pin. It may only be on one side and never completely break but it's there. Sag will happen as well with leafs but it should take a pretty long time. Every time they flex they lose just a bit of height. Not noticeable but over time it adds up.

9. tfischer

tfischer Well-Known Member

Most of the replies here are not relevant. The original poster says he has a torsion axle. They don't have springs, leaf or otherwise, they have "rubber bands". These bands do indeed get "tired" and will require the axle to be replaced.

I know, because I just replaced mine this spring for this reason.

Econ and Raycfe like this.
  10. xxxapache

xxxapache Well-Known Member

Just this week, my buddy had both front spring eyes break on a 7 x 10 utility trailer. It was unloaded when it happened, too....Never seen that before

11. Orchid

Orchid Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Something else for me to be worried about. :huh:

Does anyone know what kind of axle I have? Coleman '99 as in my sig line.