Do bearings need to be repacked off the pup does not have brakes?

Discussion in 'General Camping Discussion Forum' started by jennyjennjen, Mar 25, 2021.

Tags:
  1. jeepster04

jeepster04 Active Member

Back in the day, you did need to repack car/truck bearings every time you did a brake job. The rotors housed the bearings, so the bearings came out when you removed the drum/rotor. They were not greased yearly and I imagine some went 100K before they needed brakes....

Boat trailers are a little different since they are submerged in water right after cruising down the road, so they cool off rapidly and often times pull in water. Its not a bad idea to remove them and clean them up at the end of the season.

Econ likes this.
  2. Econ

Econ Well-Known Member

I usually don't engage in religious discussions/threads but will offer this advice.
    1) if you use bearing buddies learn to use them correctly! It could make your brakes nonoperational if done incorrectly
    2) Most trailer/campers have manually adjusted brakes that need periodic adjustment.

We return you to your oil thread for normal religious discussion <GG>.

xxxapache likes this.
  3. Arlyn Aronson

Arlyn Aronson Well-Known Member

I'm not a proponent of over greasing them that much. Seems that could be tough on your seals and certainly makes a mess. More is not necessarily better.

WrkrBee likes this.
  4. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

By their inherent design, the EZlube axles yield 100% grease in all the bearing spaces and in the the space between the inner and outer bearings. This system is the "new normal". So it has, incidentally, proven that over-greasing is not a real issue. You will find it on regular solid pipe axles and on the torsion-type half axles.

5. Econ

Econ Well-Known Member

I own a EZ lube axle and are aware of its weaknesses and strengths.

The prevision owner of my Aliner didn't know how to.

6. Arlyn Aronson

So the original owner was adding grease to the point of contaminating the brakes?? [?:~{]

Last edited: Mar 28, 2021
  7. WrkrBee

WrkrBee Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

Why don't EZ Lubes come full of grease from the factory? Looking at the EZ videos of first time users, they pump a half tube plus of grease into the Zerk fitting filling the hub before the grease starts coming through the front bearing.

8. Anthony Hitchings

Anthony Hitchings Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

The hub-drums that I bought from eTrailer, last October 2020, when I upgraded to ebrakes - were chock full of grease on the inside - end to end (as you would expect for use with EZlube axles).

9. Arlyn Aronson

I'd bet donuts the only difference with EZlube axles to everyone else's is the bearing cap, they installed a grease zerk and drilled a hole to the hubs/axle center. Bearings and seals are the same. That's not to say I don't like them, I own two axles like this and like them both. But I am not sure if they are EZlube brand or not. Just the same, this is not new mechanics or science and over-greasing bearings has its pitfalls and makes a greasy mess. And this is why I only put a couple of pumps into them yearly.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2021
    Sjm9911 likes this.
  10. WrkrBee

EZ Lube passage comes out between the seal and the back bearing.

11. zak99b5

zak99b5 Active Member

The reason I’ve pumped them until new grease is coming out the front (like half a cartridge?) is because otherwise I cannot tell if the bearings themselves are full of grease.

12. Arlyn Aronson

Folks, I do like the axles with the grease zerk in them. I did find a print of them and as WB states, the grease is added between the seal and bearing. Just the same, a few pumps of fresh grease should be all they need. if your grease has left the hub or is contaminated, the hub system has a real problem that should be addressed..

BillyMc likes this.
  13. Econ

Econ Well-Known Member

If you dont rotate/spin the wheel while adding grease there is a high probability you blow the rear seal out and since you "don't have to inspect/tear down the hub" you keep dumping grease into the hub. Until I come along and tear the hub down and find your 4 tubes of grease you proudly pumped in there. Moral: Read the instructions first. Chose what you read on the internet wisely.

14. WrkrBee

Thoughts from an old mechanic. If you're interested, wheel bearing grease should work as a film. With hand packed bearings, after a few rotations, a little grease is pushed out and the rollers are free to roll. With a packed hub, the grease has no where to go, so it is trying to go around the roller to get to the back side, but stuff is in the way. First, there's the viscosity of the grease. Very little clearance between rollers and race, as it should be, so no "flow" there. The rollers have square ends, so no smooth flow there. There's a roller cage in the way forming a barrier. With a high pressure wave in front of every roller trying to spin, I would not be surprised if there isn't some rollers sliding on the races as they try to roll.

15. WrkrBee

I'll add that a cheap grease gun can develop 2,000 psi. A good one can go to 10,000 psi. The back seal is not a pressure seal. That's why EZ Lube says no air pumped grease and the wheel most be spinning when greasing. I've had the EZ Lube axle, but would not use the lube "system".

16. brettstoner

brettstoner Member

I am not a fan of the EZ Lube axles either. Too many people just give a few pumps of grease without even rotating the tire or blow out the back seal. Even worse if you contaminate the break linings and have to replace them.

I clean and repack trailer bearings every 5-6 years. Do same time as when I replace tires. I also rotate tires every year, including the spare in rotation. I have one trailer with EZ Lube and I see no need to squirt grease into it every year. It makes a huge mess when you need to clean, inspect, and repack with the hub packed full of grease. If I was a full-timer or cross country I would probably drop down to 2-3 year schedule. At 5-6 years the grease is still functional, not contaminated or separated, and bearings are not scored or damaged.

If I had a boat trailer I would consider the EZ Lube axle. The point being to push the water contaminated grease out the front. In reality I would probably just clean and repack yearly or bi-yearly so I can check bearings for scoring and wear.

WrkrBee likes this.
  17. AndreD

AndreD Member

Could quick questions:

1) what is a TPMS?

2) when you stop and check the hubs, what are looking for? And what can be done to fix the issue if you find one?

18. WrkrBee

1) Tire Pressure Monitoring System
    https://www.popupportal.com/threads/acronym-list-we-use-a-lot-of-acronyms.127382/

2) After towing a distance, check hub temp with the back of your hand. They should be about ambient air temperature or maybe a little warmer. If hot, the bearings need to be checked and maybe replaced.

19. AndreD

AndreD Member

So if you are mid camping trip you can’t do anything to help alleviate this issue? Apart from doing that labor?

I am new to pop ups and just trying to figure everything out still, mine unit is supposed to be arriving any day now

Arlyn Aronson likes this.
  20. GrueMaster

GrueMaster Active Member

Let me show you first hand what happens when you don't repack your bearings and you go on a trip. I blew both tires on this trip (fortunately, Les Schwab was close by and I could get the first one replaced while on the trip).
    bad tire.jpg