DO cooking

Discussion in 'Dutch Oven Cooking' started by scamperman, Aug 26, 2017.

1. scamperman

scamperman Member

i am wanting to learn how to cook with my dutch oven while out camping. as i roam through the forum i see a lot of people using liners. i was wondering if that takes away from the taste of being cooked in cast iron??

2. neighbormike

neighbormike Well-Known Member

I love using the foil liners if I am making something sticky or messy (mostly desserts)... but if doing a roast or something else I go without.

3. sierrapup

sierrapup Active Member

i use mine mainly for deserts...peach cobbler.. pineapple upside down cake...the liners make it soooo much easier to clean up. you can make your own by folding 2 pieces of foil together on the long sides...[CC]

4. jmkay1

jmkay1 2004 Fleetwood/Coleman Utah

Like others said I mainly use foil for deserts. However have used it for easier cleanup on main meals and I don't taste too much of a difference.

5. bsandey

bsandey Active Member

I've never used them, so I have nothing to compare as far as taste goes. But I don't find it all that difficult to clean up my DO's after a meal. I let a couple of inches of hot water soak in it while do all the other dishes, then scrape off the large pieces with a plastic scrapper, and for the rest, I have a chainmail scrapper that works great. Get it all clean (no soap), dry it off, and let it sit overnight to make sure there's no water left, then a very light coat of oil, and put it away. Same goes for my other cast iron (frying pan, griddle, and waffle iron).

6. Sneezer

Sneezer Well-Known Member

I hate cleaning up so I use liners on all my DO cooking. Granted, I don't do a whole lot as I need to get a smaller DO. I am either cooking for the scout troop or just my son and I. I really need a smaller one for those smaller portions when it is just the two of us. Honestly I don't think I have ever cooked without a liner in a DO now that I think about it.